Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MasJ, Here is the Newcomer FAQ posted.

JadeSaber Guest

Arrow MasJ, Here is the Newcomer FAQ posted.

MasJ (and anyone else who reads that contributed)

Here is the Newcomer FAQ that I have made up. The original is in .rtf format, but I needed an actual e-mail addy to send. Maybe I overlooked it, but this version may be copied and pasted on Wordpad so you can edit it as you see fit.

Lots of credit for this goes to the ones who helped to make it.

Thanks!

PART 1:
    ==============================================
    Basic F.A.Q. for newcomers
    Current as of July 29 2002.

Before we get started, I would like to take some time to personally thank all who help make Emuparadise the best general emulation site on the web. Please take time to thank them as well by voting for the site and by clicking banners when you can. It only takes a second and it helps to support this great site. If you keep coming back, you will find that it is worth it!

Also, no one on this site condones ripping off companies who are making the games to begin with. IF POSSIBLE we suggest you go and buy the actual game/system. Support the software developers!!!! This site also STRICTLY PROHIBITS WAREZ; so do not ask about games or hacks you have downloaded for PC from other sites.

This FAQ is mainly for answering very basic questions that a newcomer almost always asks and these are the questions that show up many times in the message boards. If you cannot find the information here, try the other FAQ's in the HELP section or try the message board that most appropriately fits the subject of your question. I assume that you have some idea of what emulation is by now or you wouldn't be here. If you don't, there is also a FAQ on what emulation is that�s just for you.
    ################################################## ##################
    But first, the very basics as told by Sickboy:

�99% of the time we can't e-mail you a game, most are far too large for an e-mail account. NES, some Genesis and Snes games would fit. But isos n64 and newer arcade games are just too big.

The board has a search function. It is your friend. Your question has probably been asked many times before. See if you can find an answer prior to posting.

Read the docs that come with your emulator!! Nothing is worse then a question asked on the boards that's answer is right there on your hard drive.�

************************************************** ************************************************** **********************************************
    Answered below:
    What do I need to know before asking the boards for help?
    What emulator should I use?
    Where do I get an emulator?
    Where do I get plug-ins?
    Where do I get BIOS?
    Where do I find ROMS? (Subject to change)
    Where do I find ISO�s?
    Rom �xxxx� is not working for my N64 emulator
    Emulator �xxxx� is not working for me. What do I do?
    Can I play a burned ISO on my PSX/PS2 without a mod chip?
    How do I do the �Swap Trick�?
    Where can I download a PSX boot disc?
    �Bad Zip File Error�
    Running ISO�s from your Hard drive with an emulator

And finally�
    HOW DO I BURN PLAYSTATION ISO�s?

================================================== =============
    What do I need to know before asking the boards for help?

A.
    FIRST- THERE ARE NO RELEASED GAMECUBE, PS2, OR X-BOX GAMES OR EMULATORS. DON'T ASK!

Second: A ROM is a file that has been taken from a cartridge or board. An image taken from a CD is called an ISO.

Next- You need to know and be prepared to post your computer specifications such as what kind of processor you have, what kind of video card you have with how much memory, and what kind of sound card you have. This information is very important so that someone can better help you to configure an emulator to your computer. You should also provide the emulator name, any plug-ins you are using, and the specific ROM or ISO you are trying to run.
    What Emulator Should I Use?

System Most Common Suggested Emulators

PSX - ePSXe with BIOS and appropriate plug-ins for your system. Also CVGS.

N64 - Project 64 with plug-ins, SupraHLE (enhanced version of UltraHLE) for 3Dfx based Voodoo cards, 1964

Game Boy Advance -Visual Boy Advance

Super Nintendo -ZSNES, SNES9x

Original Nintendo - FCE Ultra,

Sega Genesis/32X/Sega CD -Gens (32X and CD need BIOS)

Arcade - Mame, NeoRageX, WinKawaks {�very popular! Thanks for the head�s up, Zero126!} Arcade Emulators also depend on what you wish to emulate. Asking the board for this may be your best bet. Some even need BIOS.

DreamCast - Currently, no DC emulator runs anything but Demos.

PS2, GameCube, X-Box -Currently there are NO EMULATORS for these.

Other emulators are sometimes requested, but not often enough to list here. There are also some very good emulators that have been inadvertantly left out. Sorry if I missed your favorite.
    Where do I get an emulator?

A. On this site! http://www.emuparadise.org/emulators/systems.html
    Most of the best emulators are found right here. If, by some strange reason you are unable to connect or a link seems to be down, you can also try http://www.zophar.net/index.phtml. Zophar's site is usually very up to date with lots of good information on emulators.

Where do I get PLUG-INs?

A. Also here on this site! http://www.emuparadise.org/plugins/
    Try finding them here, or if you absolutely cannot find it here, try this site: http://www.emuhelp.com/

Where do I get BIOS?

In the BIOS section of this site for most BIOS.http://www.emuparadise.org/biosfiles/bios.html
    32X, Sega CD- http://www.eidolons-inn.de
    Or you can try http://www.ifrance.com/bourniet/ if you can't find it here. This site really does have almost everything!

Where do I find ROMS?

A. HERE ALSO! (See a trend developing?) http://www.emuparadise.org/roms/systems.html
    Some other general links that may be available are:
    http://edgeemu.com/
    http://www.emusanet.com/
    http://www.aceroms.com/
    http://www.emulationgalaxy.co.uk/pc.shtml
    http://planeta.terra.com.br/lazer/Emuladores/

If these sites don't have what you are looking for, ask in the ROMS board and someone may be able to help you.

================================================== ============
    Where do I find ISO's?

A. If ISO's are not found on this site, you can ask on the ROM board and someone may help you. The most common method of trading and sharing ISO's are ftp sites.
    You can also try using the file sharing programs KaZaA or WinMX. A simple search on www.google.com will turn these up for you.
    Generally, ISO's are not kept up on a site. There are exceptions, but sites come and go so fast that it would be rather pointless to add any sites to this FAQ. The reason is that they generally take a LONG time to upload and then the site gets just too much traffic taking too much bandwidth.

cont...

JadeSaber Guest

Default Part 2

Rom "xxxx" is not working for N64

N64 emulators are not compatible with every Rom. Project 64 is generally the best and most recommended, but it is known to have many bugs and glitches. SupraHLE must have ROMs with no spaces in the filename. For example, Mario 64.v64 will not work on SupraHLE. It has a space between Mario and 64. You should change the name to Mario64.v64 or something similar with no spaces. DO NOT change the file extension (v64, n64 etc.)
    There could be an off chance you downloaded a corrupt ROM if you know the game is supposed to work. Try downloading from a different site.
    It is also possible you have incorrect plug-ins for your system. SupraHLE needs a glide plug-in for non-3Dfx cards and PJ64 has the default plug-ins, but there could be a better one for your system.
    And Project64 doesn't seem to agree very well with ATi cards.

Cookie Monster contributes the following:
    I'm a user of Project 64, but the game "xxxx" doesn't seem to work. What's the problem? - If your computer has the minimum system specifications required for the emulator, you should consult the Pj64 game FAQ (<http://www.smiff.clara.net/emulators/pj64/PJgameFAQ.chm>)
    where you'll find which ROMs doesn't work with the emulator.

Emulator "xxxx" is not working for me. What do I do?

A. First off, if you plan to ask this on the board, make sure you tell what kind of video card, sound card and processor you have in your computer. This is very important!
    You probably need a plug-in. Some emulators come without plug-ins.
    If not, then you may need a BIOs.
    If all else fails, your computer may need a total upgrade.

================================================== ===========
    How do I burn ISO's for use on an actual system?

For this one, go to the END of this FAQ, as this is a rather long subject.

================================================== ===========
    Can I play a burned CD in my PSX/PS2 without a mod chip?

A. Generally, no. CD-R discs are different somehow and the PSX/PS2 won't even take a look at what's on them without some help. PSX systems sometimes will allow a disc swap method where you put an original CD in the machine, use some kind of object to press the button under the lid in so that it fools the system to think the lid is shut, turn on the machine and wait for the black license screen and grab the CD out to replace it with your burned disc. If done correctly, this sometimes works. See the next topic offered by Crayoneater for more complete information on this.
    Another method that I don't know much about is using a Game Shark. I think this is possible to use it to bypass the security, but I am not sure how it works. Game Sharks are generally more expensive than a Mod chip anyway, but you may not be skilled to put a mod chip into your system on your own.
    Finally, I have heard you can use a boot disc. I don't know much about these either, but what I do know is listed under the next heading.

How do I do the �Swap Trick�? (Submitted by Crayoneater)
    If you want to use the swap trick, heres how:

you need something to hold down the lid sensor while the lid is up (spring, thumbtack, AAA battery) and any original, black bottom Playstation game.

Open Playstation lid and cover the lid sensor (at the top right near the hinge). Put in an original Playstation game. Turn power on. The disc will speed up to full speed. Get your burnt disc ready. When it slows down, swap the burnt disc with the original playstation game. It will speed back up. When it slows down again, swap again. Now watch the screen. When the screen turns black, swap the burnt with the original copy and it will run the game if all is done properly. If you couldn't get it to work, try swapping a little slower. It doesn�t have to be swapped incredibly fast. it will make a sound when it slows down, so if you cant get it to work just by watching the speed listen for the sound. Also, to see what i mean by speed changes, just boot up an original Playstation game with the lid open and sensor covered and watch it.

Where can I download a PSX boot disc?

For the most part, it is said that PSX boot discs are available on KaZaA that may not need a mod chip. I do not know the reliability of these downloaded boot discs so you will use them at your own risk. Real boot discs are generally sold in import shops where they sell Japanese games. I really do not see how this would work with a PS2 as the system resets if you open the CD tray, so I can't help there.

==============================================
    Bad zip file error

Laguna contributes this one.
    Try re-downloading one more time/comparing file sizes/downloading from another source. If the file sizes on your drive and the source are the same, chances are that the source file is corrupt.

Azariel adds this:
    You should try the latest winrar version (currently winRAR 3). When a file is compressed with winRAR 3, you can�t unpack with any another program but the winrar 3,0. So, if your file with 400 MB doesn�t open and says 'bad CRC and etc', try downloading WinRar 3 before re-downloading the file again.

=================================================
    Running Iso�s from your Hard drive with an emulator
    (Thanks go to gotenks_2322 for this one)
    (1.
    Use the psx emulator called epsxe, go to file, then run iso and select the iso image.

(2.
    Use the psx emulator called vgs and also a tool called virtual daemon.open virtual daemon then click on the start bar icon and select Device 0: no media. then browse for the iso image, after selecting the image run vgs.

get virtual daemon here:
    <http://www.daemon-tools.com/daemon_tools.htm>

Finally�HOW DO I BURN PLAYSTATION ISO�S?

Many thanks go to D-Style for taking the time to tackle this one. Also, Crayoneater has contributed some potentially helpful advice that has been added to the end. Here are the responses given:

Once you have downloaded a Playstation ISO file you want to burn it as soon as possible. An ISO file is an exact copy of a CD. It's just like a photograph of the CD. Therefore ISO files are also referred to as an image file. Since most burning programs use the term image file, I will too.

Mostly an ISO file consist of two files:

1 The Image file
    Extensions *.ISO or *.BIN
    biggest file

This is the actual 'photo' of the CD

Sometimes you will find this file without the other file (cuesheet
    see below). I only encountered it as a sole *.ISO file. If this
    look below for the burning program you have to use for this
    extension and follow the same procedure as for the cue file

2 The Cue Sheet
    Extensions *.NRG *.CUE *.CCD
    smallest file

This is an instruction file which tells the burner where the
    image file is located and the mode he should use to burn.

Important for the cuesheet!
    Open the cuesheet file with notepad or WordPad. Now you will
    see the pad (where the file is located). For example:
    File "C:\Download\I'mDirty\cetula.BIN" BINARY

Since you're not dirty and you have saved to file in another
    location be sure to modify the pad
    like "C:\Download'\NotDirty\ButPervert\Cetula.BIN"

If the cuesheet contains the wrong pad your burning will give
    an error message like can't find cetula.BIN and/or error
    cuesheet command line 01.

Back to burning. Select the "File" Menu and select "create CD from Image" or "Load Cue Sheet" or something like those. (Sometimes there's a wizard that will let you burn from an image) Now you can modify some speed changes etc. and start burning!

Now for the Burning software you should or must use
    (Depends on the extension of the cuesheet)

*.CCD => CloneCD
    *.NRG => Nero Burning Rom
    *.ISO => Nero Burning Rom, Adaptec CD creator
    *.CUE => Nero Burning Rom, CDRWin, Fireburner
    *.TXT => CDRWin

I would recommend Nero Burning Rom. Most of the people like this one the best and I agree. Mainly for the security reason (see Security Squaresoft) and it's friendly user interface and supported formats.

TIPS

If you've got problems with opening the ISO files, use Fireburner. It has an option to check if the ISO files are bad or corrupted

If one copy doesn't work try to:

Use another brand of CD's TDK works for me
    The less transparent a cd is the better cause the PSX has got a
    strong laser

Write at a lower speed

Security (Squaresoft)

Sometimes when you try to burn a backup copy of a game an try to use it on your Playstation, your PSX will freeze up at the Sony screen or at the Playstation screen. It will mostly occur with Squaresoft games like the Final Fantasy games and Xenogears etcetera.

Why? Please tell me why?!!!

CD's contains multiple tracks. There are also sub tracks. Mostly these tracks contain something called 'noise'. It's static that's created when the cd is made i guess and contains information you don't need. Some burning programs (on default setting) do not burn the information in the sub track onto the new cd.

Like I�ve just told you the sub tracks mostly contain needless 'noise'. But I said mostly.

cont...

JadeSaber Guest

Default FINAL

Game developers like Squaresoft put a security code or verification code in the sub tracks. They don't like you to backup their games so they put the code/software in a sub track and when you try to play the PSX game backup, your PSX will freeze up because the information on the sub track isn't copied.

Solution

When you are making the backup...

The key is to use the right settings and the right burning software. Programs like Fireburner an Adaptec CD Creator don't have the option to enable sub track copying (as far as I know). You could use CloneCD, if the cue sheet has a *.CCD extension. Click to create a cd, and look for a button where you can select advanced options. Sometimes it's in the normal options, depends on your version. Now you have to look for an option "copy/read sub tracks" or "copy/read sub track data or something". Now select the option and burn away.

Note: The newer versions have a wizard in which you can create a game cd and the option is already checked in this mode.

Remember make an image file with CloneCD then you will have to burn with CloneCD.

Ahead Nero Burning Rom is in my opinion the best because the sub track option is checked by default and you just make a copy.

When you bought the game, but it got scratched and you've downloaded an iso from the game...

Most of the time the person knows the above information already or has good brun software. Now it's up to you to burn.

Again I recommend on using Nero Burning Rom if the cuesheet is other than *.ccd extension. Just select the cue file and start burning. Because when you burn the ROM, assuming the copy was made correctly, Nero has the sub track option checked as default. So it automatically burns the sub tracks too. Don't use Adaptec CD Creator or Fireburner because (as far as I know) they don't have the options for copying sub tracks.

Remember: this isn't always the cause and solution for the problem described above. Just mainly for Squaresoft games and some other.

(Contributed by Crayoneater)
    As far as burning isos, i think that the best way is to load an iso (.img .iso .bin) into Virtual Daemon (virtual cd ROM drive), then you can use a burning software to copy cd. This way is better, because sometimes when you burn straight from an iso, it doesn�t work as well. For example, i recently burned final fantasy tactics straight from an iso, and when i went to play it, the picture had lines in it and i couldn�t see anything. When i loaded the iso into virtual daemon, and then copied the virtual cd, it now works perfectly. Also this way is better because you can burn from any format with any software. Like burning .iso with clone cd.

The help with this FAQ is greatly appreciated and if you wish to show your appreciation as well, then don�t forget to vote and don�t forget to click a few banners!

Enjoy!
    http://www.emuparadise.org/help

Thanks

One word: fantastic! Few people would take the time out to tackle something like that. Here's a vote.

I took the time to read through the whole thing, and here's a few minor errors (no offense intended):

1)
    Arcade - Mame, NeoRageX, WinKawaks {�very popular! Thanks for the head�s up, Zero126!} Arcade Emulators also depend on what you wish to emulate. Asking the board for this may be your best bet. Some even need BIOS.
    It's heads up.

2) Inadvertantly is spelt inadvertently.

3)
    Emulator "xxxx" is not working for me. What do I do?

A. First off, if you plan to ask this on the board, make sure you tell what kind of video card, sound card and processor you have in your computer. This is very important!
    You probably need a plug-in. Some emulators come without plug-ins.
    If not, then you may need a BIOs.
    It's BIOS.

4) DirectConnect was neglected to be mentioned as a means of acquiring ISOs/ROMs.

5)
    Most of the time the person knows the above information already or has good brun software. Now it's up to you to burn.
    It's burn, not brun.

Another common question is how to use FTPs (you mentioned them as the most common way of acquiring ISOs): Download an FTP client (ex. FlashFXP, CuteFTP, LeapFTP, WS_FTP Pro, Crystal FTP Pro, FTP Explorer, FTP Voyager - but SmartFTP is recommended as it is freeware and is a fairly decent FTP client). You should be able to find these using a search engine (ex. Google). Once you have installed the application, open it, and type in the address, login and pass. FTPs are not always open - if they aren't, you should get some error similar to Connection failed (Connection refused)/Connection failed (Connection timed out). Sometimes, ones posted on older threads (ex. 3 months ago) are down. Furthermore, there are limits on the number of users (5 usually), so you may get a message notifying you that they are currently too many users. ISOs take a long time to download (so that's not abnormal or anything).

Wow, I feel good for being part of such a great undertaking.

PS: I posted another suggestion about half an hour ago at the FAQ thread (I think before this thread appeared).
    Last edited by Laguna; 30th-July-2002 at 08:58.

JadeSaber Guest

Thanks for catching the errors. Generally, I ran it through the spell checker in Microsoft Word, but it doesn't seem to catch some things or offers stupid suggestions. Many of the errors you caught were made by my simply copy and pasting from suggestion posts or just by my being too tired to run it through spellcheck again. It is after 3 A.M. here and I haven't been to bed yet.
    But I now turn it over to the capable hands of others on this board.

Thanks again to all who helped make it possible.:sunglasse

Thanks

I read the suggestion by JadeSaber, and here's another contribution (posted originally in the other thread):

I downloaded a ROM/ISO image and it's in all these little parts: .r00, .r01, ... etc. How do I unrar it?

Well, use winRAR (not Winace - that stupid program gives you CRC errors half the time) and run only the .exe or .rar. Then the rest of the files will self-extract. Just make sure that the rest of the archive is in the same folder as that .rar and .exe. And yes, you must download ALL the parts.
    Can I quote myself?

JadeSaber, it's 4:00 am here, and I haven't gone to bed either. And I have school at 10:00 am tomorrow. I should get going.

JadeSaber Guest

Good grief!

Let's get to bed and leave this to someone else for a while!

Goodnight everybody!

(Credits begin to roll...lights come up...janitorial guys prepare to sweep up all the junk left around in the floors...)

ZZZZZzzzzzzZZZZZZzzzzz

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Here are another contribution, posted by dudeman

I think it's interesting for people who wants to burn cds with Fireburner: is a great step by step guide to do it

So, if JadeSaber or MasJ believe it's interesting...just add it to the FAQ (if it's still possible)

http://www.emuparadise.org/vbulletin...8309#post68309

dumpsterdamon Guest

i think masj or anyone who can should get a big big FAQ section on the site dealing with as much stuff as possible

so we dont get so many fu�ken noobs asking all these dam questions

Nakoruru Guest

Chances are the newbies don't and won't take the time to read faqs anyways. Just a thought but maybe Masj could link it to when people first register for membership, afterall alot of the people who ask the repeated questions are people with less than 10 posts.

Thanks
    EP Points

Wow JadeSaber, this FaQ ROCKS!! I commend ALL of you on the great work , contributions etc you've made.
    Yes, I have thought of making a VERY indepth and strong faq section on emuparadise and that is why I messaged Jade asking him to help with it after he started the FaQ thread earlier on.
    I'll put it up sometime this week and I have it bookmarked so I won't lose it, Also, I'll add that Burning tutorial mentioned and also some other stuff like a few editions for the Download FaQ (special DAP settings) and even parts of the FTP tutorials posted on the boards a while back (if I can find them).
    We'll soon make this n00b paradise

Thanks
    EP Points

Also, if you guys could scour out the boards and look for more faq-like-things posted by people over time maybe we could make a great compilation of it. I would do it, but I am so pressed for time, and hey, what are friends for, right ?

chrono8921 Guest

Great work! Although I doubt the newbies will want to read it, they probably want to get more post counts. But nevertheless, GREAT work! You definetly deserve a vote for taking so much effort to write the FAQ.

D-Style Guest

Maybe we could create a FAQ team. Some people who watch over and manage the FAQ's and newbieguides. Although it took some effort for me to write the ISO burning FAQ, I've enjoyed writing it. So I'm up for it.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah, that sounds good, I'm going to put the Faq into our help section sometime this weekend. And yeah, more Faq's would be great!