Thread: Differences between games releases

Thanks

Default Differences between games releases

Is there any differences between game releases for different regions (ntsc-u/c, ntsc/-j, pal-uk and pal-aus)? I often hear that ntsc-j games releases get changes to gameplay/names etc. when localised for western regions. I also hear sometimes of american/british english script differences between ntsc-u/c and pal-uk game releases. Are these correct?

I am aware of regional differences like box covers being different and technical aspects (pal-50hz, pal-60hz and ntsc-60hz).

Also, are there any differences between games with a budget range realease (platinum, greatist-hits etc.), special package release (limited edition etc.) or online release (PSN etc.) compared to just the original, physical release?

Supreme Warrior Guest

Not much change really, Games localized for Germany and Australia tend to get Censored ....badly.

one of the few games i can think of to get additional content was Tales of the Abyss, US version Got new Mystic arts for the characters while the original Japanese version did not, due to time restraints with the japanese release.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Concerning Greatest Hits, it depends on the game. Many, unless I'm mistaken, are pretty much the same thing, with perhaps small additions (demos/soundtracks/etc.) thrown in.

Of course, there are also the Greatest Hits like Devil May Cry 3, which included quite a bit of new content, such as allowing you to play as Vergil, a Survival mode, an extra boss fight, a few added optional fights, a "Turbo Mode", and a continue system, not to mention a rebalanced difficulty.

Thanks
    EP Points

From what I know, a few changes here and there, like some dialogue may be swapped out because it may be mainstream in one culture but not in the others. As for GH, PH and the others, there are a few games (Silent Hill 2 and Devil May Cry 3) that have added content as GH, but most of them are the same game, only with different packaging.

Thanks

*minor spoilers for Fallout 3*

- Aside from the cover art being changed, the German or Australian release of Left 4 Dead 2 had the police infected removed or altered.
    - For Fallout 3, in Japan the Fat Man was renamed and the quest allowing you to blow up Megaton was completely removed, for obvious reasons.
    - Nintendo of America censored a lot of games for various reasons including violence, drugs, and even religious references.
    - In the UK edition of Fallout 2, children are completely removed.
    - I'm not sure how censored Dead Rising is/was in Japan, but I know that it received a Z rating and wasn't showcased in stores.
    Last edited by Qwelzaar; 27th-November-2011 at 19:50. Reason: Added more info.
    We got so much in common, except when it comes to rhyming
    She feel like lyrics are so intrusive, but I feel about her the way she feels about music
    She's cute, she don't like the words, she just likes the beat and I'm thinking me too

Thanks
    EP Points

(from wikipedia)
    Xenosaga Ep1:

Episode I dealt with the censorship of several cutscenes in the North American release of the game, a majority of which take place during a confrontation between the game's main villain and another character. This was done presumably to avoid any possibilities of the title receiving an ESRB M rating. A scene involving an arm being snapped was softened for the North American version. In another scene of noticeable censorship, a character draws out a knife, which he uses to cut off his arm and head. For Western release he simply rips off his limbs without the use of a knife. A scene where a character draws out information by "reaching inside" another character was also altered; instead, he simply puts his hand over her face in the North American version.

Xenosaga Ep2:

US version of the game was censored in order to receive a Teen rating. Albedo attempts to explain regeneration and, in the Japanese version, he pulls a pistol to his head and blows it off. The Western release still featured the blood spatter but the gun was altered to be an orb of energy

Carmageddon:

Running over non-human figures was considered acceptable by the ratings board, so the humans and cows were replaced with zombies (robots in Germany).

The Witcher:

Censored Sex Cards in North America version.

The Witcher 2:

No sex rewards in Australian version.

Kingdom Hearts 2:

he Hydra boss in the Hercules-themed world Olympus Coliseum had its green blood from the original Japanese version (which was taken from the film) changed into black and purple smoke in the English version. Also, the scene in Disney Castle where, after chasing Donald around for missing a date, Daisy Duck pounds him on the backside in the Japanese version while she merely tells him off inaudibly in the English. (...) The death of Organization XIII member Axel was slightly edited; in the original, he burst into flames during his suicide attack, while in the English version he simply faded away after using up all of his power.
    Cutscenes were edited to remove some of the violence, such as William Turner threatening to commit suicide while aiming a gun at his neck, as in the film. Unlike the Japanese version, the undead Pirates do not catch fire when affected by Fire magic and their muskets were modified to resemble crossbows, though the crossbows still fire with an audible musket shot sound effect.

And ofcourse Quakelive have Quake 3 maps but without pentagrams and other 'satanic' symbols.
    Last edited by ponury_indor; 27th-November-2011 at 22:43.

Thanks
    EP Points

How far back are we going here? Because I recall things such as early Castlevania games having things changed between regions, these usually were pallete changes such as covering up statues on super castlevania and stuff to do with gore

http://www.castlevaniadungeon.net/ga...v4foreign.html

Thanks

The one example that comes to mind for me is the fact that the pal and International versions of Final Fantasy X have dark Aeons while NTSC U Does not.

Thanks
    EP Points

There's some differences between multiconsole releases too.
    For example, Grandia on the Saturn has a better framerate/less slowdowns than the PSX version, better spritework and looks better and more polished overall than the PSX version, while the PSX version has transparencies. There are some other differences too.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ponury_indor View Post
    (from wikipedia)
    Xenosaga Ep1:

Episode I dealt with the censorship of several cutscenes in the North American release of the game, a majority of which take place during a confrontation between the game's main villain and another character. This was done presumably to avoid any possibilities of the title receiving an ESRB M rating. A scene involving an arm being snapped was softened for the North American version. In another scene of noticeable censorship, a character draws out a knife, which he uses to cut off his arm and head. For Western release he simply rips off his limbs without the use of a knife. A scene where a character draws out information by "reaching inside" another character was also altered; instead, he simply puts his hand over her face in the North American version.

Xenosaga Ep2:

US version of the game was censored in order to receive a Teen rating. Albedo attempts to explain regeneration and, in the Japanese version, he pulls a pistol to his head and blows it off. The Western release still featured the blood spatter but the gun was altered to be an orb of energy

Carmageddon:

Running over non-human figures was considered acceptable by the ratings board, so the humans and cows were replaced with zombies (robots in Germany).

The Witcher:

Censored Sex Cards in North America version.

The Witcher 2:

No sex rewards in Australian version.

Kingdom Hearts 2:

he Hydra boss in the Hercules-themed world Olympus Coliseum had its green blood from the original Japanese version (which was taken from the film) changed into black and purple smoke in the English version. Also, the scene in Disney Castle where, after chasing Donald around for missing a date, Daisy Duck pounds him on the backside in the Japanese version while she merely tells him off inaudibly in the English. (...) The death of Organization XIII member Axel was slightly edited; in the original, he burst into flames during his suicide attack, while in the English version he simply faded away after using up all of his power.
    Cutscenes were edited to remove some of the violence, such as William Turner threatening to commit suicide while aiming a gun at his neck, as in the film. Unlike the Japanese version, the undead Pirates do not catch fire when affected by Fire magic and their muskets were modified to resemble crossbows, though the crossbows still fire with an audible musket shot sound effect.

And ofcourse Quakelive have Quake 3 maps but without pentagrams and other 'satanic' symbols.
    wow, I knew some things were a little wonky in Xenosaga and KHII, but I didn't know that was the reason.

Thanks

They cut out a bit much for Kingdom Hearts did they, I mean really why take out Daisy hitting Daffy? And stopping people from catching fire, but whatever, I have an English patched Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix anyways , but the only censorship difference I noticed was that Turner put the gun to his head this time around, didn't realize the other stuff. It would be nice if they would release uncensored M rated versions of these games in English, I know they'd sell just for the novelty but I know, the publishing costs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Searyan View Post
    It would be nice if they would release uncensored M rated versions of these games in English, I know they'd sell just for the novelty but I know, the publishing costs.
    Well, Disney is mostly seen as a sort of kid-friendly company. I haven't played any of the KH games, but I could imagine parents (especially American ones) thinking, "Oh it's a Disney game, it'll be perfect for my kid," and then freaking out at the violence in the game. I could be wrong, but even dumber stuff has happened when it comes to video games.
    We got so much in common, except when it comes to rhyming
    She feel like lyrics are so intrusive, but I feel about her the way she feels about music
    She's cute, she don't like the words, she just likes the beat and I'm thinking me too