Thread: Guide: How to convert PS1 games to PSP

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Thumbs up Guide: How to convert PS1 games to PSP

This is a complementary guide to Kouen's and it's helpful if you want to play your favourite games on your PSP.

You need:
    • PS1 game Image
    • Some menu pictures or popstation images
    • Time to look the images or create the images
    • Finally, PSX2PSP which you can get here

Open the PSX2PSP folder and run the program. I recommend to run it in Classic Mode (Or Clasic mode, someone misspelled it before ) You will be greeted by this menu:

As you can see, it can be quite complex, and you don't know where to start. You've seen the ISO/PBP voice on the top-left corner. There's a drop-down menu. Will write about it later. Click the "..." button on the right of this menu and a window will pop-up. This is where you'll have to select the image you want to use:

For this tutorial I'll be using Resident Evil 2 as an example. Once you selected it you'll return to the main menu and will see the Image name on the ISO/PBP voice/menu:

Don't worry about the game called "Bust-A-Move 42", you can change it whenvever you want. But make sure to change it, or it'll appear with a different name on the PSP. Now you can change how it'll appear on the PSP. That's why you need the images or popstation images. They can be made by yourself too, with either Photoshop or GIMP. Or if you don't want to personalize the PS1 game, you can skip this part. Now you can see the Icon/Background image menu. Click the button on the right to select the icon image:

You can see that the Icon image is called "icon0". This is an identifier, so that you don't get confused between the icon and background. If you switch, then it'll look like a mess. So:
    • icon0 = Icon Image
    • pic1 = Background Image
    • pic0 = Information Image (that's where you'll see the description of the game)
    • snd0.at3 = Background music (Perfect for still images)
    • icon1 = Icon Animation (Usually these include music or sound, so don't mix it with Background Music)
    • boot = Boot/Warning Image (That's when you open the game and there will be a Warning screen)

Now I have all the fields I needed, and clicked on preview, to see how it looks on the PSP. You can't see the animation on PC, unfortunately, so you'll have to use the PSP to test it out:

As I wrote before, you can make a multi-disc PBP file. Click the ISO/PBP field and a menu will drop down. Select the second voice and it'll say "ISO/PSP File 2 - No file selected"

Click on the right button, now, and select the second image you want to use. You can switch discs, when you're inside the game. Perfect for Resident Evil 2, Final Fantasys and Metal Gear Solids. (And all the multi-disc games). After you're satisfied with everything. Click on the Output button, which is at the right of the Output field, select the Image and click the convert button:

Mine's in E:\PSP and it'll be on a folder called with the game's I

Now you can follow Kouen's tutorial. Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Englebert3rd; 23rd-November-2011 at 20:24.

Check my YouTube for gameplay and pickup videos!

Steam|Youtube

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Englebert3rd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Also added to our index, thanks, Engle

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Beast View Post
    Also added to our index, thanks, Engle
    No worries, Kouen inspired me.

Check my YouTube for gameplay and pickup videos!

Steam|Youtube

Thanks