Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone know how to make a cat stop chewing on a christmas tree?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default anyone know how to make a cat stop chewing on a christmas tree?

yeah... my mom kinda decided to put the tree up early at home and my cat is being a little ass and chewing on it then throwing up, as such i have to clean it,

anyone have ideas how to make him stop chewing the thing?

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Cayenne pepper is traditional, but not always recommended (the whole "getting it into the eyes then scratching them out" thing is a fairly large turn-off). Cinnamon is another choice, as are garlic cloves, vinegar, or mothballs. Lavender is nicer-smelling for humans, and also disliked by cats. Alternately, conduct a little operant conditioning: leave a spray bottle of water by the tree, and every time they go near it, spray them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 288 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Spicer View Post
    yeah... my mom kinda decided to put the tree up early at home and my cat is being a little ass and chewing on it then throwing up, as such i have to clean it,

anyone have ideas how to make him stop chewing the thing?
    First: Did you feed the cat? (Just making sure )

And how about buying a pot of cat grass and place it in the same room as the tree, but in the opposite corner...

Now the cat will most likely chew on the cat grass and not on the tree (odds are cat actually has some digestion problems and only chews on the tree in order to throw up later... from what I remember reading once... since cats normally don't throw up unless it's some furballs, as it's just as disgusting for them as it's for you...)

Don' worry, it won't hurt... that much!

Thanks
    EP Points

we have some other plants in the house he chews up so another plant wouldnt do much, and mistral none of those suggestions are bad for the cat or a firehazard cause of the tree lights right? or gonna smell reall bad

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Spicer View Post
    we have some other plants in the house he chews up so another plant wouldnt do much, and mistral none of those suggestions are bad for the cat or a firehazard cause of the tree lights right? or gonna smell reall bad
    They shouldn't be bad for the cat except the cayenne pepper as per the warning, and even that is an outside chance (one I wouldn't take, but that's me). Cinnamon's also a traditional Christmas thing as well as a very nice smell, but I'm aware that some people don't like it quite as much as I do. Vinegar and garlic are a little strong for some people, but that's without knowing your own taste. Lavender is a nice smell as well to humans. The spray bottle is definitely not a fire hazard as long as you're aiming at the cat rather than the tree, unless you have electric lights. Cat grass or cat nip in a different corner of the room is a very good bet as well, though; unless your other plants already include those, it's unlikely they're very attractive to the cat to begin with.

Thanks

Cinnamon is toxic to cats- use it very sparingly or place it inside a a loose-weave bag-better still, get those cinnamon scented pinecones the stores are always trying to shove down everyone. The cat will be repulsed by the smell without the rish of them ingesting the powder.

Thanks
    EP Points

Cat puke FTW.

I have fun stepping in it when I'm trying to feed them, or whenever.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

My family's cat does this with our fake tree...Glad I moved out.

Thanks
    EP Points

Ask INFERNO he LOVES cats

Thanks

Our cats would always bat at the ornaments and have a ball with the Christmas tree. The older toms would 'spray' the base of the tree sometimes....nasty old bastards...
    Mom would spray Pine Sol on the tree to keep them away.

True story:

My five sisters were each given kittens when they were little girls, and the cats flourished, bred, and became our family friends for many, many years. Anyhow, my sister Melissa was given a small, gray tom in 1967 that she had named 'Tiger'. Around about the time that I was a lad, in the late 70s, Tiger had become the patriarch and lord of the feline neighboorhood, being undefeated in combat and having copulated with hundreds of females. (Several winters we would find small patches of other cats' furs, white, yellow, gray, matted with bits of blood in the snow. This guy was a hard old bastard that protected his area, our yard and woods, like a barbarian.)
    Tiger had reached a point in his life where he became incontinent, and he had scarring and tumors from years of hard living. He began to wander away from the area, sometimes for miles, and behaved like an elderly person with dementia might behave. My father, thinking he was doing the right thing, brought Tiger to live out his days in peace and luxury at my grandfather's farm. (The farm was several hundred miles away..) We all understood and supported him, knowing that we could see Tiger whenever we went to the farm to visit the old folks.

Fast forward over ten years - Roughly 1990 -

My family home was then being lived-in by my sister Melissa, her husband, and their new baby, Travis. Out of the blue one day, while my sisters and their friends played cards in the kitchen, they heard a scratching at the door. My sister nearly fell to pieces to see, at the door, her childhood friend Tiger. At this point he looked a mess, basically like a mummy in cat furs. They all welcomed him in, bathed him, and he enjoyed a pampered life again.
    After a week or so, my sister went into the baby's room early one morning to find Tiger, slipped away, under the baby's crib. The crib sat in the very same spot where my sister's bed had been, all those years ago.....

By all accounts, Tiger had lived a full 24 years.....
    Last edited by GradyWilson; 16th-November-2011 at 19:30.

Thanks
    EP Points

That's a cool story. My first cat chose to pass on under the desk in my bedroom when I was 8 or 9 years old.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Darklinky View Post
    Ask INFERNO he LOVES cats
    Doesn't mean I know anything about them?

Thanks

(Several winters we would find small patches of other cats' furs, white, yellow, gray, matted with bits of blood in the snow. This guy was a hard old bastard that protected his area, our yard and woods, like a BOSS.)
    Fix'd

That is an awesome story I wish I could pet that old sack of awesome matter you call pet.

Let your cosmo burn bright!

Thanks
    EP Points

In all seriousness, and I know this from experience... Get a water bottle and fill it up most of the way with water, then put the hottest hot sauce you can find in it and shake it up. Slightly mist the bottom branches of the tree with it. The cat will steer far clear of the tree. Animals absolutely hate hot sauce. Kind of like if you want someone to see a dead body and you don't want animals to come F with it, you mist it with hot sauce. That last part I only heard, I do not know that from experience sadly.
    I'm listening but I don't hear very much...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Best thread title ever.