Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The All-Encompassing Skyrim Thread! (Here there be dragons)

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SpuzzHardwick View Post
    Yup. Bigger than Oblivion. Both in map size and quest content.
    Not to mention that it has radiant quests so you'll never actually ever run out of quests to do.

Thanks

Default Is there anyone besides me that thinks Skyrim isn't that great?

Ever since Morrowind was released, the series just hasn't been as good. Morrowind is seriously one of my favorite games of all time, and I was so hyped for when Oblivion was about to be released. I got the game on release day, played through like 5 hours and thought, 'uh, this isn't that great, but maybe it gets better in the endgame'.

And 60 hours later, I was as bored as I began. I finished the game, and realized how I had no fun playing that game.

So Skyrim was hyped to all fuck, and once again I got it on release, and I had the same reaction as Oblivion. I'm 20 hours in, and it's just not that great. Better than Oblivion, sure, but just not even close to Morrowind.

And I even thought I might be putting too much into Morrowind as a game, but I went back and picked it up again and I'm having a blast.

Anyone else feeling this too?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well there's something that's kept you playing the game so long.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Wyrm View Post
    Well there's something that's kept you playing the game so long.
    While they're not terrible, I wouldn't really say they're good games. Oblivion was buggy as shit, and an overall not really too fun. Skyrim fixed most of those issues, but I'm just not having too much fun.

I guess it's more of me wanting to like the games more than I do, since I love Morrowind so much. If it was any other game, I wouldn't even bother.

Thanks

What exactly brought you to like Morrowind in the first place? It could be a case of expecting the same game with better graphics, when it was the entire package of Morrowind that caused you to like it in the first place. I often don't care for graphics anymore and focus on the gameplay itself. There are certain things I liked about Morrowind while Oblivion and Skyrim does it better. Eye candy improved in the further editions, but it feels slow and fake. Yes, it's a videogame (aka fake), but when it is highly glossed and shiny, it loses the visual presentation that you are actually there.

Thanks

man ive been playing this game nonstop since the release event. this game is amazing. love the dragon fights and the AI. only thing i dont like is the re occurrence of dragons every 15 minutes or so. kind of gets annoying. love the mages guild college missions, and the dark brotherhood/thieves guild missions. absolutely wonderful must have game. (i own it for ps3)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johndoe1987 View Post
    man ive been playing this game nonstop since the release event. this game is amazing. love the dragon fights and the AI. only thing i dont like is the re occurrence of dragons every 15 minutes or so. kind of gets annoying. love the mages guild college missions, and the dark brotherhood/thieves guild missions. absolutely wonderful must have game. (i own it for ps3)
    How far have you gotten on the PS3 version?

I got up to level 45, and now the game has terrible frame-rate issues. It's a pretty widespread issue if you look it up. The common theory is that the amount of frame rate issues you get is caused by how big your game save size is. I don't know if the game file size is the cause of the problem, but there does seem to be a correlation.

My game file size is 12 MB right now. People seem to be starting to complain at about 6-7 MB. That's when I started noticing problems. The frame rate would get really bad after about 5-6 hours of gameplay. Restarting the system would fix it.

But as the file size got bigger, the frame rate problems came more quickly. Now within 15 minutes of starting the game, any battle with a lot of people (or a dragon) is like a slideshow. Same thing with major cities.

Apparently Bethesda is already getting the patch out to fix it. Supposedly they are waiting on Sony's QA team to give the go ahead.
    Squiggly Line Squiggly Line Squiggly Line

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Quiji View Post
    Ever since Morrowind was released, the series just hasn't been as good. Morrowind is seriously one of my favorite games of all time, and I was so hyped for when Oblivion was about to be released. I got the game on release day, played through like 5 hours and thought, 'uh, this isn't that great, but maybe it gets better in the endgame'.

And 60 hours later, I was as bored as I began. I finished the game, and realized how I had no fun playing that game.

So Skyrim was hyped to all fuck, and once again I got it on release, and I had the same reaction as Oblivion. I'm 20 hours in, and it's just not that great. Better than Oblivion, sure, but just not even close to Morrowind.

And I even thought I might be putting too much into Morrowind as a game, but I went back and picked it up again and I'm having a blast.

I do agree that Skyrim is overhyped as fuck, but for the moment I'm having fun with it. My "yay dragons!" mentality is partly to blame for that. However, I can definitely see where you're coming from with the "not having too much fun" comments. I personally think Oblivion sucks balls, to put it eloquently, and Fallout 3 bored me to tears after roughly a week of playing.

Now that I think about it, the last time I really had lots of fun with a Bethesda game was Morrowind and Bloodmoon. So yeah.
    Last edited by Gare; 17th-November-2011 at 13:36.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I've been a loyal fan of the series since Morrowind myself as well. I love differences in opinion. But frankly, you're wrong.
    Skyrim is a massive achievement in sheer amount of enjoyable, engrossing content on one game disc. The framerate issues however, as stated before, are a shame. Get on that shit Bethesda.
    Last edited by SpuzzHardwick; 17th-November-2011 at 18:18.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SpuzzHardwick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Morrowind was fun to play but, the plot was about as involving as eating a sandwich. They fixed that with the expansions and they've done better after that.

I've been playing Skyrim for three days, pretty enjoyable so far. I haven't done any of the lesser sidequests, and I don't plan to.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well I advise you do all the various guild and daedra quests as they're in my opinion the highlights of the game. The main quest is the best main story they've done yet in a Bethesda game so I hope you enjoy the hell out of its dragon-filled glory but don't underestimate the side quests. Even the most mundane seeming ones often turn into something special.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Morrowind goty has been a favourite of mine for years now, and I still enjoy playing it.
    Oblivion goty was a bit of a let down.......but it's still ok (just doesn't feel as rewarding to play imo).
    To me Morrowind takes more commitment to actually get somewhere to begin with, and leaves a fair bit to the players imagination.

One noticable thing I disliked about Oblivion was the lack of levitation spells........but it's obvious why they weren't used

I actually enjoyed Fallout 3 goty more than Oblivion.......but for reasons I can't put my finger on I didn't really enjoy New Vegas all that much (maybe 'cos I haven't played the DLCs.......I dunno).

Haven't got Skyrim myself yet......but I'm hoping I'll enjoy it more than Oblivion

Thanks

Out of all bethsedas popular titles these are my faverites in order.
    1kyrim ( Tons of content and i just enjoy playing something newer, its the only game i play as of now)
    2:Fallout 3 ( a true legend IMO not the greatest game with its bugs and all, but hey its a bethseda game.)
    3:Morriwind ( Fantastic game if i remember it right, i really enjoyed it alot and am gonna pick it up for Xbox original soon.)
    4:Fallout NV ( While all the dlc sucked like a vaccum, i enjoyed the storyline alot.)
    5:Oblivion ( fantastic game, but got boring after a while imo )
    Persona is so beast...

Thanks

New Vegas was Obsidian, not Beth.

Having played Skyrim for 50 hours now, I love it, it's not without issues, but the game is very well designed.

Thanks
    EP Points

So ive JUST started i an escaped from the dragon. Unforunatly my pc aint that great so some graphical issues which is a shame.

Looks like im gonna have to buy it for the 360.

First impressions are awsome.