Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody Playing Sonic Generations?

Thanks
    EP Points

Question Anybody Playing Sonic Generations?

Sonic Generations seemed to be hyped up here, so I'd thought i'd check in to see how people like it or hate it.

I'm playing the PC version.

the background at times is too much during some 2D stages. They seem to blur together. I can't really play the game on high settings, If I do, the frame rate drops, so i'm playing on low settings. Sometimes I get frame-rate hiccups/slow downs, Not bad, but noticeable. Vsync just gives you more. Oddly enough, I only found these in Classic Sonic stages, Modern Sonic plays just fine. Classic Sonic moves way too fast at times, and with the background blurring, you'll get hit. Also spin-dash is fast as well, when i first used it, it was like warping. The controls feel laggy at times. I had problems with jumping for Classic Sonic & sometimes (laggy) the boost button didn't work right away when I pressed it for Modern Sonic, so I crashed into baddies. Also, the talking volume seems low, compared to the stage music. I can't hear what Omochao is saying most of the time. Overall, not bad. Right now, I can't tell which is better, Colors or Generations.

Thanks
    EP Points

The problem is you're playing the PC version with a comp that isn't powerful enough.
    Also, you might have AA on.

Thanks
    EP Points

I found out why. Those are cut scene running segments, much like SA2 had, where they push you through the loops. When you go through them, you lose some speed. I didn't know, until I tried to spin-dash through one, and then sonic stopped spinning, and ran. I also find it annoying, you don't have a small hub like colors did with the red rings. So you don't know if you missed a ring or not, until at the end of the level.

Thanks
    EP Points

Ive been playing it a little for the 360 but I haven't really had too much time so I'm not that far. For the most part I think it's okay, but I really hate the fact that Sega insists on making us play this 3D Sonic crap. I really wish they would have just made a completely new fully side-scrolling Sonic game. If that ever happens I will BUY it. Until then all sonic games get tried on the modded box til I find one that isn't poop then i'll buy it.
    I'm listening but I don't hear very much...

Thanks
    EP Points

I've been playing the PC Steam version. It's alright. I'm partial to the 2D style but I do like the "next-gen" Sonic's abilities more (as opposed to just the damn spin dash and jack shit else). I've defeated the first boss so far, and I'm digging it. Better than the latest Sonic games (Black Knight, COUGH.... Unleashed, COUGH... you get my drift), though only because there's some variety between the 3D stages and their 2D counterparts.

There's an evil monkey in my closet!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mailmann006 View Post
    I really wish they would have just made a completely new fully side-scrolling Sonic game. If that ever happens I will BUY it.
    I haven't played it but isn't that what Sonic 4 is supposed to be?

Thanks
    EP Points

I surely hope so.
    I'm listening but I don't hear very much...

Thanks
    EP Points

Still waiting for sonic 4 Ep2 eh?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I WANT IT SO BAD but I lack the right system of a good PC.

At least I can listen to the soundtrack on Youtube.

My thoughts...

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I played it on the PS3 at a friends last night. I love it, this is the best Sonic game in a long time. Fun to play. I need to pick this up soon.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well after playing for a while. It is pretty fun. Sadly, my perfectionist has kicked in. I cannot move on, until I get an S rank with all red rings. Amazingly, it isn't that hard to do, but I will say the challenges are challenging, especially when you want an S rank. I seem to do better with modern Sonic's challenges. More often than not, there is a certain way to beat the challenges. For example, the 1st challenge with Classic sonic I believe is, Race yourself. You want to stick to the top paths since they are quicker. I played that level so much it isn’t funny.
    Spoiler warning:
    When you find the 3 bad guys, you have to jump on all three of them to move to the top part without stopping. When you hit the middle rose bush, that is where you jump, and you should hit all of them. Another place is the 2 bee loop. There is a loop you can skip if you hit the two bees. That’s all the tips I have for that challenge. I played that for like 2 hours trying to get an S rank.
    I believe you have to do some of them to get a boss key or something. I have not faced a boss yet.
    I get misc glitches that make me angry. Like during the third world with modern sonic. Every time I touched water, sonic would spazz out and quickstep to the left nonstop. I fixed it by exiting the level and re-entering it. I kind of wish you didn’t have to do the challenges. Also, it feels add to complete 3 worlds without fighting a boss. The challenges are special stages (not emerald acts, but new stages) so you have to get use to the layout. Most of them are gimmicks, like breaking ground, or big badguys or race X character. So far, so fun.

Thanks

I haven't had the chance to play it yet, probably won't get it for another 6 months or a year so the price can come down, but if the 3d levels are just as fun as adventure 2, I will definitely get it. No offense to pc gamers, but I think sonic should be played with a controller for the best experience, unless you are using one with a pc, then that's cool too.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

From the things I've seen, I wouldn't want to play the game. Seaside Hill has various segments from Ocean Palace, a stage I hated from Sonic Heroes, a game I don't at all care for. Also, having to get keys just to fight a boss by playing challenge stages using various characters is a big turn off to me. I'm also not the biggest fan of the musical remixes.

ALSO GRINDING. GOD, WHY IS THERE STILL GRINDING. GET THIS GARBAGE OUT OF MY SONIC GAMES.

This is all one Hell of a damn shame because Metal Sonic and Silver's boss fights look AMAZING. Especially Silver, where his boss fight is what it should have been in Sonic 2006.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by unnoticedninja View Post
    I haven't had the chance to play it yet, probably won't get it for another 6 months or a year so the price can come down, but if the 3d levels are just as fun as adventure 2, I will definitely get it. No offense to pc gamers, but I think sonic should be played with a controller for the best experience, unless you are using one with a pc, then that's cool too.
    Yeah, the keyboard config will break your fingers, lol. Most people are using Pads. Plus generations is like $25 or $30 on steam. Or you could...acquire it & get the pre-order DLC too, lol. Pirates get the DLC, while people who bought it don't, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeolus Aeneas View Post
    From the things I've seen, I wouldn't want to play the game. Seaside Hill has various segments from Ocean Palace, a stage I hated from Sonic Heroes, a game I don't at all care for. Also, having to get keys just to fight a boss by playing challenge stages using various characters is a big turn off to me. I'm also not the biggest fan of the musical remixes.

ALSO GRINDING. GOD, WHY IS THERE STILL GRINDING. GET THIS GARBAGE OUT OF MY SONIC GAMES.

This is all one Hell of a damn shame because Metal Sonic and Silver's boss fights look AMAZING. Especially Silver, where his boss fight is what it should have been in Sonic 2006.
    Agreed, I wish you didn't have to do them. They should be optional. Most of the songs are good, but a few, City escape, blows. My new favorite song Is Rooftop Run Act 1:
    Spoiler warning:

As for grinding, there isn't too much of it. If there is, they are very short, and I believe modern sonic is the only one who does grinding.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I wish there was a function to turn off grinding and boosting. Grinding is the biggest annoyance I have ever come across in a Sonic game besides the CLIPPING THROUGH THE FLOOR glitch I kept getting in Adventure 1, and I cannot for the life of me see why it's in basically every Sonic game SINCE Adventure 2. It's also the reason why I'll likely never get the "true" Shadow the Hedgehog ending, because of that grind section to get one of the Chaos Emeralds in his neutral path.

Boosting, on the other hand I find to be an excuse to NOT put Super Sonic in games. The Perfect Chaos fight is the best example of that; boosting is their idea of replacing his super form. It acts EXACTLY the way Super Sonic did at the end of Adventure 1, it lets Sonic run on water and, if used properly, it almost allows him to gain a pseudo flying ability. It also lets him just plow through enemies and it's powered by rings.

Plus, it gave us the all consuming, so stupid yet true meme of BOOST TO WIN. Because that's the truth; to win you have to boost. And I'm sick to death of it, while everybody else has the biggest boner for it. But then I wasn't a fan of Sonic Rush, while everybody and their mother creams their undies for that game.

What would have been awesome is if they just let you play as classic Sonic, that way I could avoid all of this. But you have to play as both to get those stupid boss keys. Plus, I don't even think there's a choice when it comes to boss fights; you're fighting almost all of them as modern Sonic. While boosting to win.

Aaaarrrrrggggggg,,,!