Thread: Strange black screen problem running ISOs on my PSP

Thanks

Default Strange black screen problem running ISOs on my PSP

I suppose I should start at the beginning. I have a 1001 fat PSP running 6.20 firmware. I had been using TN-HEN to run ISOs off of Prometheus, with no issues. I acquired an ISO of Fate Extra. Threw it into my ISO folder, booted up Prometheus...and it gave me a black screen. No game. I hit Home, exit back out to the main menu

Okay, says I. First time that's ever happened. I try it a few more times, and get the same result. Eventually, I decide it just isn't going to work. Go to boot up another game I had been playing (Final Fantasy 4 Collection. I was nearly at the end!), and...black screen, just like Fate Extra was doing

Urrrrgh, okay. After messing with that a few more times, I decide to get drastic. I back up everything relevant on my memory stick, like my ISOs and all of my saved games, and format the whole stick. Back to square one. Reinstall TN-HEN, put my ISOs back in. Try it again...same black screen

So now I'm very confused. With my stuff still backed up, I format again, and try it again. Same thing. This gets me to poking around on the internet, and I eventually find out about the 6.20 Pro custom firmware, which seems far superior to the HEN stuff I was running. Format once more, and install that. Goes well. I can play my other stuff on the memory card, like emulators and such, with no problem at all. According to the documentation, 6.20 Pro is supposed to come with built-in ISO support, so no need for anything like Prometheus. Alright, so I toss another of my ISOs on there (Mega Man Powered Up, because it's small and doesn't take much time to transfer). Go to my memory stick, and am happy to see that the intro screen for Mega Man is right there on my stick, like any other CSO game. It seems to be working! I click it

Two guesses what's next. Yup, a black screen. Great big wall of black, doing nothing until I hit Home and back out. I am now completely at a loss as to why my damn PSP refuses to run any ISOs. Everything else on it seems to be working. Emulators off of the memory stick, fine. Roms off of the memory stick, fine. ISOs....a muh fuggin black screen. Help me, help meeeeeeeee

Thanks
    EP Points

Install a CFW instead on your PSP, that should fix the problem you have now.
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...-and-additions!

Thanks

I am using Pro B-9 right now. You're saying to update to Pro B-10?

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh my, I miss the Pro CFW part from the first post, and thought you still use TN-HEN. My Bad. "

Anyway, yes. Update to B10, and see if that makes any differences.
    If not, disable any plugins you have, and try running those games with any of the three ISO Modes.

Have you try using another copy of those games?

Thanks

Updated to B10, and it did the same thing. So I've now gotten this same black screen problem with B9, B10, and with Prometheus. Happens no matter what ISO I try to load (although playing standard UMD disks works just fine).

I truly don't get it. Why would everything on my PSP be working just fine, but it refuses to load any ISOs?

EDIT: Maybe it's the link cable I'm using to move ISOs over to my PSP? I'd noticed it was doing the 'Transfer stops and dies, saying 'This object can't be found' deal, but the transferred things would still wind up on my memory stick. Now, when that happens, I end up with a Corrupt Data block on my memory stick (exactly the same size as the ISO I was trying to transfer) that I can't do anything with but delete
    Last edited by DeathChicken; 5th-November-2011 at 15:35.

Thanks
    EP Points

Ah, that's the problem, have you try copy those games again using another USB cable or perhaps with a Card Reader?

Thanks

I went out and got another link cable. Apparently that was it, as I'm not having any transfer issues anymore, and ISOs are loading

...except, weirdly enough, for Fate Extra. That still gives me a black screen, and I've tried two different ISOs of it

Thanks
    EP Points

What about the ISO modes? have you try any of it? with not plugins enabled?

That game load fine on my PSP though.

Thanks

Finally ended up trying a *third* ISO of that game, and it worked. I guess I must have just had terrible luck with my downloads

Thanks much!