Thread: ANSWER: "How do I download this?"

Thanks
    EP Points

Arrow ANSWER: "How do I download this?"

If you've found your way here on your own, I give you a hearty pat on the back for being self-motivated, and making an effort to learn the ropes here at EP Forums. If you were sent here by another member... well, you're about to learn something useful, grasshopper.

Often I'm asked: "how do i download this", or "how i get teh game tnx" or, "I say, old fellow, how is it that I procure the data you have verily uploaded hence?" Well, it's quite simple really.

*SHORT ANSWER*
    (Quick and dirty, but light on details.)

Spoiler warning:
    Paste each of the (http) download links into your browser one-at-a-time, or use a computer program called "jDownloader" for easy, automated downloading of multiple links.

*LONGER ANSWER*
    (The full story... Click, and be prepared to read a bit.)

Spoiler warning:
    Most, if not ALL user uploads here on EP are hosted on other sites. Megaupload is a popular one, and there's also Fileserve, Rapidshare, Hotfile and others.

When a user uploads a file to these hosting sites, they are given a web (http) link to share with others. When you copy this link and paste it into a browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, etc.) you are taken to a webpage where you can download the file.

Most shared files are compressed into .rar, .zip, .7z or other types of archive files before being uploaded to a hosting site (for a tutorial on handling these, see below).

Some archive files are small enough to be downloaded from just one link; however, some larger ones must be split and uploaded in smaller parts due to certain hosting sites' Terms of Use (no files larger than a certain size unless you're a registered user with them.)

With these "multi-link" files, you have two options:

1. Paste each link into your browser individually, and click the download button at each download page.

2. (Recommended) Install and run the program "jDownloader" on your computer, then copy ALL the links and paste them into the jD window. Hit the start button (triangle... like "Play") and forget it until it finishes.

jDownloader works best with Megaupload links, but will work with other hosting sites; Your mileage may vary.

If jDownloader doesn't work on a certain link-set, please don't flame or rage in the upload forums... you will draw the wrath of the Moderators, and generally give everyone a headache. We're here to have fun, remember.

For a tutorial on what to do with archive files once you download them, a very good one is posted here: http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...to-Handle-Them

Hope you find this info helpful... Enjoy EP, and all it has to offer.
    Last edited by Rockstar1983; 27th-October-2011 at 22:06. Reason: Code Box Removed.
    *If my post was helpful, click the star in the lower left corner of it to say "Thanks".
    *My username will unlock my uploads, if a password is needed.
    *Games, Guitars, or Girls... choose any two.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rockstar1983 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Nice, good job

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Darklinky For This Useful Post: