Thread: xbox mod

Thanks

Default xbox mod

i been reading a few post here about xbox mobs, but they already close. im wondering how hard is to mob regular xbox. i have a xbox my brother gave me without cables and been bored lately, im planning to play with xbox abit with mobs.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

What kind of mods are you talking about?
    If you want a custom dash board, and the ability to run copied games, then it's not too terribly hard. You can either use a hard mod (Xeccuter mod chip, something similar), or there are some softmods available (I believe you need Mech Assault for them though). I'm assuming you're talking about the original Xbox?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

One of 3 games can be used for a softmod but you don't just need one of the three games (MechAssault, Splinter Cell & 007: Agent Under Fire) you also need a xbox memcard card reader for PC/memcard readable via PC to get the hack files onto the xbox (those 3 games are used as an exploit and it will be installed by loading in the hacked save data)

The traditional Memcard used is the Action Replay one for the xbox but you can hack a pad to do the same job with a normal xbox memcard

http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Mods/acce...emory_card.htm

There are other mods aswell to let you read xbox memory/send data aswell but not off the top of my head

Quote Originally Posted by Jackhammer View Post
    You can mod by hotswapping. You need a PC with an IDE connection.

A couple of links:
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=244043
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=332179

Here is a cd image with softmod ready installed. You use this with the hotswap method. Nothing to buy except a blank cd.

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links.

Use at your own risk, hotswapping isn't without risk...
    there is also another method that can be used aswell

To be honest a mod chip is not worth it as far as the xbox goes with the softmod itself being so good

Once the softmod is done you can change the softmod or update it or add games emulators and other software via your home network and then ftp over anything you want to the HDD

If you plan on keeping games on the HDD you will want to go further and replace the HDD with a large IDE HDD, mine has 120GB in it I think... I don't remember... but I store games on it aswell as emulators

Here is a vid of my xbox booting the softmod I use
    Last edited by Zorlon; 21st-October-2011 at 17:09.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Wow interesting zorlon, looks like a trip to cash generator is on the cards for tommorow for an origonal xbox.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    One of 3 games can be used for a softmod but you don't just need one of the three games (MechAssault, Splinter Cell & 007: Agent Under Fire) you also need a xbox memcard card reader for PC/memcard readable via PC to get the hack files onto the xbox (those 3 games are used as an exploit and it will be installed by loading in the hacked save data)

The traditional Memcard used is the Action Replay one for the xbox but you can hack a pad to do the same job with a normal xbox memcard

http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Mods/acce...emory_card.htm

There are other mods aswell to let you read xbox memory/send data aswell but not off the top of my head

there is also another method that can be used aswell

To be honest a mod chip is not worth it as far as the xbox goes with the softmod itself being so good

Once the softmod is done you can change the softmod or update it or add games emulators and other software via your home network and then ftp over anything you want to the HDD

If you plan on keeping games on the HDD you will want to go further and replace the HDD with a large IDE HDD, mine has 120GB in it I think... I don't remember... but I store games on it aswell as emulators

Here is a vid of my xbox booting the softmod I use

I've had an Xeccuter 2 chip in 2 xbox's, and I've yet to have a problem with them. They work great, and they also have a few options that a softmod doesn't include which is rather nice. Personally, I would rather just solder a few pins rather than all of the software modding, but that's just me. I can't really say which option is better, but I can say that there's certainly nothing wrong with the hardmod.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by !nstaGib View Post
    I've had an Xeccuter 2 chip in 2 xbox's, and I've yet to have a problem with them. They work great, and they also have a few options that a softmod doesn't include which is rather nice. Personally, I would rather just solder a few pins rather than all of the software modding, but that's just me. I can't really say which option is better, but I can say that there's certainly nothing wrong with the hardmod.
    What options out of interest??

I'm off to bed now anyway but would will look forwards to reading some of it's extra features

P.S. I never ment anything bad towards mod chips in general I just know that the soft mods available are full of features anyway so there is no need for one if soldering is not something a user is good at, only thing I would be tempted to do is expand the memory of the xbox that you could do seen as you have 2 and just have 1 with twice the memory, though as far as I know only a certain mame mod takes full advantage of that.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 21st-October-2011 at 21:51.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

great answer as always. thanks

i think im going to try a softmod, i hear xbox had nice emulators. i need to get my cables first.
    do i have to look for HD compatibility or any HD will do?

p.s. it was regular xbox. i also have a 360 i dont use but not sure if i should do something with it .

thanks for the help ill ask afew more question when i get my cables.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by !nstaGib View Post
    I've had Xecuter 2 chipped consoles, and I never had any issues.Installation is easy.....even easier than soldering modchips on PSX consoles imo.

At the moment I have a DuoX 2 Lite and that works fine as well (works on all versions 1 - 1.6).
    Header with 2 wires is the easiest install for DuoX 2 Lite (especially if the header is already present on the board)

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    What options out of interest??

I'm off to bed now anyway but would will look forwards to reading some of it's extra features

P.S. I never ment anything bad towards mod chips in general I just know that the soft mods available are full of features anyway so there is no need for one if soldering is not something a user is good at, only thing I would be tempted to do is expand the memory of the xbox that you could do seen as you have 2 and just have 1 with twice the memory, though as far as I know only a certain mame mod takes full advantage of that.
    If you install a modchip HDD failure is less of a hassle.Even if you're inexperienced with such things, you simply remove the dead drive, put in a fresh HDD and then use SlaYer's EvoX Auto-Installer v2.7 disc (or v2.6 would be good enough in most cases).
    Then you use slayers to format/setup the drive.

At least one modchip (I forget the name) has on-chip formatting for HDD......although if you grab SlaYer's EvoX Auto-Installer this option really isn't needed for any modchip.

Soldering extra memory into the Xbox is way more complicated than installing a modchip.Probably in the same league as soldering a modchip for PS2 (or perhaps worse)

But a softmod is a cost effective way to go, especially if you already have one of the 3 games and the memory unit needed.......all you need to do in that case is mod an original controller cable to usb (which is very easy to do).........or you can use the hotswap method like Jack mentioned

Spoiler warning: