Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a first custom pc suggestions?

Thanks

Default Building a first custom pc suggestions?

I want to build a pc within the $1000 range. The main purpose will be to run dolphin(wii), pcsx2, and nulldc. After doing a bit of searching on newegg i came up with this list

HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.D HDS721010DLE630 (0F13180) 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    Item #: N82E16822145533

Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core ...

G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR
    Item #: N82E16820231416

SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Combo SATA Model SH-B123L LightScribe Support - OEM
    Item #: N82E16827151222

Patriot Torqx TRB PT32GS25SSDR 2.5" 32GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    Item #: N82E16820220532

Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500
    Item #:* N82E16819115073

EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1461-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video ...
    Item #:* N82E16814130661

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
    Item #:* N82E16832116986

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm ...

BIOSTAR TH67+ LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    Item #:* N82E16813138296

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel ...

Will this run these games at decent speeds? Please keep in mind that i have never dealt with pc hardware before so please excuse me for my ignorance.
    Last edited by AMNVanNess; 25th-October-2011 at 16:12. Reason: I changed this list to match current shopping cart

Thanks
    EP Points

personally I would spring for a 7,200 rpm hard drive and in your build you forgot the Mother board.

you should also make a list of parts you will not need such as keyboard and mouse if you plan on using the ones you have with your current system

also will you be needing a monitor and if so what are your preferences i.e. max screen resolution.

on the info given I would say go with something like this.

Try to go for the bundles on newegg. You can get the msi twin froz 560ti with the core i5 2500k for $448 and corsair 750W with 8gb of corsair 1600 DDR3 RAM for $148. Also, liteon dvd burner and sata 7200 1TB hard drive (seagate) for $67. The HAF 912 case is $59. For Mobo you can get the gigbyte z68a ud3h b3 or the asrock gen3 extreme3. Total should come to $850.
    you can tweak the above to your desire as I noticed this buid has a 1TB HDD and your build has a 2TB HDD

for your cpu heat sink go for something like this it's good + cheap COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=2rqajqma5291
    Last edited by Knightshade; 21st-October-2011 at 02:52.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Knightshade For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Looks decent, just some pointers:

I would ditch the Blu ray burner. They're expensive, and optical media is near dead in my eyes.
    Instead of a 2tb drive, go for a faster 1tb drive. I have a WD Caviar Black, and it's fantastic.
    Make absolutely sure that you get a /quality/ PSU. It's the one component that can ruin your entire computer. Many cheap manufacturers exaggerate their claims, and they're just to be avoided. Some good manufacturers are Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Antec, Rosewill

5. The Following User Says Thank You to !nstaGib For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by !nstaGib View Post
    Looks decent, just some pointers:

I would ditch the Blu ray burner. They're expensive, and optical media is near dead in my eyes.
    Instead of a 2tb drive, go for a faster 1tb drive. I have a WD Caviar Black, and it's fantastic.
    Make absolutely sure that you get a /quality/ PSU. It's the one component that can ruin your entire computer. Many cheap manufacturers exaggerate their claims, and they're just to be avoided. Some good manufacturers are Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Antec, Rosewill
    I actually wanted to put a blu ray drive on there because we are living in the dark ages and currently only have a ps2 to watch dvds on

Thanks

Thank you so much. I will definately make some changes to make things a little cheaper. I will also ditch the bigger hard drive for a smaller sfaster one

Thanks
    EP Points

On the hard drive debate, I say everyone above is wrong. Get a slower, large drive to use for storage of stuff like movies, music, etc. Get a small SSD to install your OS on, along with any games that have a lot of data that will need to be loaded from disk (i.e. textures).

EDIT: Oh, also. Velociraptors and such are garbage. Better off just getting a 7200 or 5400 rather than the 10000 that makes a negligible difference and introduces all kinds of other QC issues.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Colamisu View Post
    On the hard drive debate, I say everyone above is wrong. Get a slower, large drive to use for storage of stuff like movies, music, etc. Get a small SSD to install your OS on, along with any games that have a lot of data that will need to be loaded from disk (i.e. textures).

EDIT: Oh, also. Velociraptors and such are garbage. Better off just getting a 7200 or 5400 rather than the 10000 that makes a negligible difference and introduces all kinds of other QC issues.
    This for the most part.

Also why not instead of a Blueray burner switch it for a DVDRW and a Blue Ray Reader. you can then watch blue rays still and burn CD's and DVD's
    I Think there is also a BR-ROM/DVDRW Combo Drive you can get could save a little cash there as BR Writable media is very expensive right now and not worth the investment yet in my opinion

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Colamisu View Post

This is such an understatement. If you run Winblows OR Linux, put the core of the OS, and if you use virtual memory, make sure there is enough room for that on there as well (3 gig minimum for most winblows) and put your data ALL on another drive, on ANOTHER cable.

This is a MAJOR "hot rod" and is worth the hundreds you will spend on the new solid state drive.....in winblows, it MUST be large enough for the virtual ram to exist on it....

you basically put your operating system onto a chip.

Who am I? Im a nobody that's been in the scene since 1980. What would I know, right, kids?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by BVamp View Post
    This is such an understatement. If you run Winblows OR Linux, put the core of the OS, and if you use virtual memory, make sure there is enough room for that on there as well (3 gig minimum for most winblows) and put your data ALL on another drive, on ANOTHER cable.

This is a MAJOR "hot rod" and is worth the hundreds you will spend on the new solid state drive.....in winblows, it MUST be large enough for the virtual ram to exist on it....

you basically put your operating system onto a chip.

Who am I? Im a nobody that's been in the scene since 1980. What would I know, right, kids?
    since you've been on the scene so long please explain to me why I have to take games roms/isos off my 2TB 5200RPM external hard drive (usb2.0) and put on my 7200RPM internal hard drive to get playable speeds with no lags since the three of you seem to be pushing him to go with a slower (pos imo) hard drive I figure you know something I don't.

(also noting that it's been said Kouen has one of the best computers on EP.) Just curious.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught

Thanks

It is your interface speed, dude. There is always a trace-back latency for requests to said dater.......(wait, did I mention I know this as a layman, and not by any books?)

I am a new member here, so I will forego my credentials.

by the way, an SSDD is WAY WAY faster. Im not talking about some 200 gig flash drive. I am talking about an industrial speed 5 gig drive. just for the OS.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 24th-October-2011 at 23:57. Reason: use the EDIT button instead of double posting, it isn't allowed!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by BVamp View Post
    It is your interface speed, dude. There is always a trace-back latency for requests to said dater.......(wait, did I mention I know this as a layman, and not by any books?)

I am a new member here, so I will forego my credentials.
    OK thanks for the reply I still don't quite understand. I noticed in cola's post he mentioned keeping texture heavy games etc. on the SSD. not trying to be hateful or rude It's just on this subject I am truly ignorant and trying to understand.

As I have understood so far the size of the hard drive has to deal with how much it can hold therefore more GB or TB as the case may be = more storage/more stuff it can hold and the rpm has to do with the speed it spins at making it read faster meaning 7200rpm's is better than 5200rpm's

I also under stand not going with a velociraptor as the faster the disk spins(10,000rpm's in this case) the more wear and tear and the quicker it breaks down.

I also under stand solid state drives don't spin so therefore are faster especially with a proper sandforce controller, but what I don't understand is how's putting your games on a slower hard drive that causes lags going to be better than putting them on a faster hard drive that doesn't cause these lags ?

Thanks

there are a few "layers" involved, physically.

Im going to keep it wicked simple.

Your hard drives, with magnetic plates, have seek and spin times. keyword, time.

An SSDD is a drive that is actually a bank of RAM chips, with memory to them.

its that simple.

now, an emulator, or bios rom, it laods all of the data off the chips or banks. meaning, the emus load the ROM image into memory, and then parse in data as you go along (loading screens).

when you run the OPERATING system that runs the emulator (requires huge loads) from an SSDD, there is very little latency. ALSO, if you were to run a SECOND SSDD for your ROM drive, or kept them on the same drive, there is that much less latency when loading the roms, or the sections therof.

THEREFORE - chip based OS, CHIP based virtual ram (hah) chip based data.

I would still suggest splitting the OS and data sources for maximum speed.

if you have a few hundred bucks, you can run a light winblows install and a small data drive, and see for yourself how fast it is.

...lightning.

we had an experimental program to make ram a drive back in the day.....I wouuld be thankful if folks could provide thier versions of it.... it was called vdisk.exe. It basically was the precursor of solid state drives, and allowed a 1 or 2 meg partition to be created in ram, and assigned a drive letter.....

anyone??? where's the old timers?

...use that, correctly, and then tell me that an SSDD is SLOW!!!

the trick was making it large, and the SSDD did that.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 25th-October-2011 at 09:48.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BVamp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

not sure if to take person referring to windows as "winblows" serial.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deach View Post
    not sure if to take person referring to windows as "winblows" serial.
    I am not talking about a serial #.

you kids got access to some smaller 500mb SSD's. just freaking use em.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 25th-October-2011 at 09:48.

Thanks
    EP Points

I think you may be misunderstanding me, I have said I understand that an SSD with non moving parts is faster than a HDD with moving parts.

The part I don't get is how's a 2TB 5200 RPM HDD better than a 1.5TB 7200 RPM HDD other than sheer volume.

the 5200 is slower and will cause some games or applications to lag or hang in my experience.