Thread: Retro System Wars

Thanks

Default Retro System Wars

Were you around for the the system wars of old?

By that I mean TurboGrafx16 VS Genesis and later on Snes.

When I was 12 or so, not many people I knew could afford or were privileged enough to own multiple game systems so they owned one and defended its honor to the bitter end. Before Snes came out the conflict was between NEC and Sega. Fueds were quite hostile in the magazines of late. I.E. "Video Games and Computer Entertainment" "EGM" "Game Pro", etc.

I was wondering, if you were around during those times, what your stand was then and has it changed nowadays, perhaps realizing that they all had they're relavance in gaming history?

I personally was a T.G.16 fan, but I'll explain why as this thread hopefully evolves. But please, no pissing contests or animosity. Tuck your balls in if you feel them wanting to drop.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, I never had a TG-16. I did have a SNES, I remember the SNES was awesome. I was always a huge nintendo fan. Later on, I became a sony fan. But back in those days, it was nintendo. Of course I did play the genesis, but not as much as the SNES. The consoles weren't really a big issue with me. I played all types of games, no matter the system. The SNES sticks with me, as that is what I grew up playing. I probably played the N64 and PS1 the same amount.

Thanks

I forgot to mention why I specified the days before the Snes, which is due to the fact that it, once released, was obviously the dominant system (in respect to graphics and controls, but not sound).

Thanks
    EP Points

don't really remember the turbo graphics and my first game system was pong, no not pong for atari just the pong system old school style.

I remember having to choose between the genesis and snes. I choose the snes and, am glad I did just because my main niche in gaming is RPG's and genesis just didn't have many of those.

speaking of the wars and gaming publications I remember reading an article like this in one of them EGM. IIRC.
    speaking on sonic the hedgehog, the genesis with it's blast processing doesn't do this game justice when compared to the level of detail and increased speed you can get out of the superior super nintendo entertainment systems blaze processing.
    ludicrous of course since both systems had similar specs just an excerpt of what I remember in the article.

I have since played some games I missed out on for genesis back in the day some of the phantasy star games as well as some other great rpg's.

but all in all at the time I believe the console wars were good for business at the time as you said most people could only afford one system and then as it is now (to some extent) it all comes down to the exclusives(which we had a lot more of back then.)

Quote Originally Posted by retrofiber View Post
    I forgot to mention why I specified the days before the Snes, which is due to the fact that it, once released, was obviously the dominant system (in respect to graphics and controls, but not sound).
    the super nintendo was my favorite but I think you can compare the genesis to it and be a toss up on which way people will go
    they weren't that far apart both 16 bit consoles similar graphic if not quite the same.
    so all in all I would say it's fair to include these two in your comparison.
    Last edited by Knightshade; 15th-October-2011 at 05:56.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Auron Braska View Post
    don't really remember the turbo graphics and my first game system was pong, no not pong for atari just the pong system old school style.

I remember having to choose between the genesis and snes. I choose the snes and, am glad I did just because my main niche in gaming is RPG's and genesis just didn't have many of those.

speaking of the wars and gaming publications I remember reading an article like this in one of them EGM. IIRC.
    ludicrous of course since both systems had similar specs just an excerpt of what I remember in the article.

I have since played some games I missed out on for genesis back in the day some of the phantasy star games as well as some other great rpg's.

but all in all at the time I believe the console wars were good for business at the time as you said most people could only afford one system and then as it is now (to some extent) it all comes down to the exclusives(which we had a lot more of back then.)

the super nintendo was my favorite but I think you can compare the genesis to it and be a toss up on which way people will go
    they weren't that far apart both 16 bit consoles similar graphic if not quite the same.
    so all in all I would say it's fair to include these two in your comparison.
    Yeah... so for some reason I'm unable to edit my older posts and in fact got cut off in the middle of trying to reply to Auron Braska's first post...but anyway what I was trying to say is that excerpts like that are exactly what I was hoping people would recall. The simple play on words such as "Blaze" and "Blast" is all it seemed these companies needed to express in order to try and set their technology apart, but now a days we wouldn't even distinguish between the two.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 15th-October-2011 at 10:11.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

We'd never seen the light or the innovation of the Turbografx-16. But back then, SNES and Sega Geneses/Megadrives are the king. And I'm going to admit, I loved the SNES, even though I started from the Nintendo Famicon/NES, SNES brought me to the RPG genre and video game genre as a whole.

Final Fantasy II(IV in Japan, screw you English localization team!) introduced me to the RPGs. Awesome!

My wai-fu, among many other wai-fu, and they are my current favorite. What? Too nerdy? Well, I think it is.
    The Four Eyed Squire LP channel.

Thanks

My first gaming experience was on SNES, but i have went back to older consoles in recent years. To be honest, my favorite retro console (which happens to be my overall favorite console anyway) is the Super Nintendo, followed closely by the NES. I have loved Nintendo my entire life, and I also developed an interest in the Sega Dreamcast and Genesis. One could call this late adoption on the extreme!

I have played the CD-i as well, and that experience was so horrendous, i still shudder thinking about it.

Thanks
    EP Points

my first was the nes back when motion gaming was cool and not a gimmik it is now. i miss those days where there were actually real differences in games and multi-platform games were rare.

Thanks
    EP Points

I pretty much was a nintendo man. Although my first game system was the Atari 2600 (I am 25 yrs old). I spent the majority of my time bouncing back and forth when we got our NES system between it and our Apple 2e (which the main game I played on the Apple 2 was a greek olympus game set in the labyrinth setting) after that it was mainly windows 95 and a handful of the first fps's (Catacombs 3D, Doom, Duke Nukem, Strife, Hexen, Wolfenstein 3D, Heretic etc.)
    The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

- James Oliver Rigney Jr. aka Robert Jordan (God rest his Soul.) 10-17-1948 to 09-16-2007

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lordrand11 For This Useful Post:

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

I had the various Pong machines, Atari, Ace Tronic etc, but it was Sinclair Vs Commodore in my day. I owned both the Spectrum and C64 at one point, but I always preferred the Spectrum.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I had an NES, an SNES and a Genesis (with a SEGA CD); there was no console war in my life. Everything worked together well, I never favored one system over another.

Then my PS1 came in and I sold my Genesis... biggest mistake of my life. But being 13, you tend to be stupid with choices.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lordrand11 View Post
    (which the main game I played on the Apple 2 was a greek olympus game set in the labyrinth setting)
    Holy shit I remember that game!! I never had the Apple2 but I use to play that game during Library period in Jr. High. I even remember drawing maps for it. It allways stuck out in my mind because the game Battle of Olympus for the NES came out around that time. Those 2 games must have been my first introduction into mythology