Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Real Time Strategy Discussion

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    Viruses.
    and that it needs a CD key.
    I pira-buy games all the time and never get viruses .

This thread is moving along nicely .
    Last edited by Slacker Magician; 6th-October-2011 at 02:52.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks

I bought Kohan on a whim. It was in a 3 pack with Disciples (not so great) and both the original and expansion of Kohan. It was like $5 and felt too cheap to pass up. I enjoy that game a lot. I usually ended up playing custom games because the campaigns were hard for me, but overall it was an awesome experience. Just being able to hire random heroes and find new stuff as you searched the world was great.

Another RTS I speak highly of is Warzone 2100. You can get it for free, legally, if you don't mind playing without the extra video clips. I own the original and still use the newer version because they updated everything. It still looks like it did when it came out (think PS1 era, I don't remember the original year it came out), but the textures are smoother and the multiplayer is a lot better. A lot more maps and a large amount of new things to research and customize. It's a really small game in size since they took out the videos, but you may want to watch some of them on Youtube or something.

note: this is not warez and is completely legal since Pumpkin Studios (the makers of the game) released it as freeware.
    Here is the link: http://wz2100.net/

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by treos View Post
    got starcraft, C&C generals with zero hour expansion but never heard of kohan or total Annihilation, i may have heard of dragonshard but i'm not really sure, starcraft and C&C are both quite good rts games though
    Saying 'Starcraft is quite good RTS' is like saying 'Sun is quite hot' or 'God is quite powerfull'...

___
    If you like games with 'classic' resource system (like Starcraft or Warcraft) I'd recommend Armies of Exigo. Only way to play it online is Hamachi but singleplayer is fun too. 3 races: Alliance - Humans, Dwarfs, Elves and other 'good' races; Fallen - Insects, some Dark Wizards and weird creatures; Beasts - Ogres, Lizardmen, Wywerns, Trolls, etc. Great game but serwers are shutdown for good (thanks EA...).

___
    Company of Heroes is very good too but single player is kinda boring.
    Last edited by ponury_indor; 6th-October-2011 at 13:04.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ponury_indor View Post
    Saying 'Starcraft is quite good RTS' is like saying 'Sun is quite hot' or 'God is quite powerfull'...
    Whoa, whoa, the Sun is... hot!?

On topic: I recall an RTS that I played a bit when I was younger, I think it was called Dark Planet, that shit was DIFFICULT.

Thanks

Thumbs up Sins of a Solar Empire?

One fairly new-ish RTS that I rather enjoyed (and hasn't been mentioned yet) is "Sins of a Solar Empire". It has excellent replayability, fun multiplayer elements, and maps ranging from ginormous to small and brutal. It's a space-based game. You manage planets by building infrastructure, doing research, and building orbital buildings. There are 3 different resources: credits, metal, and crystal. Credits are produced by population and trade, metal and crystal are mined. There is an in-game economy, you can sell metal & crystal for credits, and buy them (for a markup of course). Different materials are required for different ships and techs. The biggest quarrel I have with the game is the severely limiting "fleet" and "logistics" research. Those techs limit how many fleets and ships you can have max. There is also a "culture" effect in the game, affected by trade and culture buildings which can allow less-violent tactics to be used. It has all the elements of large-scale turn-based games in an action-packed RTS format. To increase the action, pirates often go on raids... either randomly, or against a bountied target(s).

Overall, I have to agree with the "game informer" score of 9/10. It's good-looking, and not extremely resource-heavy. It's fairly intuitive to play (as all good RTS's are) but has depth in strategy and tactics to explore. The difficulty settings can keep you busy for many hundred hours.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Shardnax View Post
    I've heard there are some good Star Trek RTS, never played any though.
    Star Trek Armada 1 & 2 are awesome. I've also heard good things about Star Trek: Starfleet Command series,but i haven't played those.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealSpiders View Post

On topic: I recall an RTS that I played a bit when I was younger, I think it was called Dark Planet, that shit was DIFFICULT.
    Dark Planet:Battle for Natrolis ? Pfft.

Play a RTS from the Myth series - no resource management and production of
    units,you fight with only what you get in the beginning of the mission.THAT is difficult.
    The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything is...
    Spoiler warning:
    Spoiler warning:
    Well,what did you expect ?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Baumshlager View Post
    Star Trek Armada 1 & 2 are awesome. I've also heard good things about Star Trek: Starfleet Command series,but i haven't played those.

Dark Planet:Battle for Natrolis ? Pfft.

Play a RTS from the Myth series - no resource management and production of
    units,you fight with only what you get in the beginning of the mission.THAT is difficult.

Gonna have to try that Star Trek Armada one. Is that the one where you could bring your designs in from starship creator? I know there was one game where you could, can't remember which one though.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Checking out Spellforce today.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    Gonna have to try that Star Trek Armada one. Is that the one where you could bring your designs in from starship creator? I know there was one game where you could, can't remember which one though.
    Nope.It's been years since i played it,but i'm pretty sure you couldn't do that in Armada.
    Spoiler warning:
    Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Nope.It's been years since i played it,but i'm pretty sure you couldn't do that in Armada.

ahh ok. Think it may have been a DS9 game of some type anyways.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    ahh ok. Think it may have been a DS9 game of some type anyways.
    DS9: Dominion Wars? Could be.
    I only vaguely remember that game.
    Spoiler warning:
    Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

DS9: Dominion Wars? Could be.
    I only vaguely remember that game.

hmmm that sounds right actually.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nemo View Post
    Another RTS I speak highly of is Warzone 2100. You can get it for free, legally, if you don't mind playing without the extra video clips. I own the original and still use the newer version because they updated everything. It still looks like it did when it came out (think PS1 era, I don't remember the original year it came out), but the textures are smoother and the multiplayer is a lot better. A lot more maps and a large amount of new things to research and customize. It's a really small game in size since they took out the videos, but you may want to watch some of them on Youtube or something.

note: this is not warez and is completely legal since Pumpkin Studios (the makers of the game) released it as freeware.
    Here is the link: http://wz2100.net/
    OMG. I remember this game. Good times on the PSX. Especially when it came down to capture the flag games. Thanks for the find. Btw, what are some good RTSs to run on netbook? Suggestions and directions are much appreciated.

X

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by personv01 View Post
    OMG. I remember this game. Good times on the PSX. Especially when it came down to capture the flag games. Thanks for the find. Btw, what are some good RTSs to run on netbook? Suggestions and directions are much appreciated.

X
    Anything with minimal 3D elements should be alright.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ugh, cursed double post.

Spellforce is lame, way to much management and a lot of resources.
    Last edited by Slacker Magician; 6th-October-2011 at 23:12.