Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Opening a local Arcade

Thanks
    EP Points

Also on topic.
    More recommendations of games I can't remember the names of. (If I remember them later, I post them)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,579 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

I dunno if anyone has mentioned it here, but you can rig dreamcast consoles inside arcade cabinets.
    I helped out in a ten-pin bowling alley years ago, and spent much time playing crazy taxi which was a dreamcast hooked up in a proper looking full cabinet.
    Apparently there's quite a bit of documentation posted online about such setups.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

So....(maybe it has been mentioned)...but a MAME cabinet with games that you own should be acceptable, right?
    The fact that you could have the cart on display sounds legal at least. How would you charge for that though?
    Or what Deadlegion mentioned. That is surely legal.

Where do you live Corey? If its in the states, I could donate a console for some free credits.
    Last edited by Jazzmarazz; 30th-September-2011 at 12:34.

Thanks
    EP Points

He lives in Texas.
    Pick me up when you go there.
    Also, some DOA cabinet?

Thanks

Hey Corey,

What you have sounds great and was once 12 year old Scruffy's dream. As others have suggested get plenty of light gun games, beat 'em ups and maybe having a retro section.
    If you want cool avoid the DDR machines, if you want a bit of coin get DDR machines. With me being in the UK and availability/tastes might be different these may or may not be good for you.

http://www.arcade-game-sales.com/scr...7-11146-1.html
    http://rev-depot.com/2011/02/28/tekk...select-screen/
    http://www.bossyman15.com/gallery/sa...-arcade-gp.jpg
    http://www.findarcademachines.com/im...de-Machine.jpg

Are some of the more popular ones I have seen over here but as pointed out the whole arcade scene is down and if you can get around the legality issue MAME cabinets seem to be a bit more of a winner.

Good Luck, I hope you do it well and more importantly enjoy it.

Thanks

Man, I haven't been to an arcade in ages. Good luck with your endeavor!
    "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." -Frank Sinatra

Thanks
    EP Points

Since you said it is by a local hang out area, you could turn it into a D&B rip off, arcade games and food.

Also, I know some places do and other don't, what type of currency are you using? Real money or you own money? kind of like major magics does.

My uncle managed an arcade place. He said it was hell. The people were dumb and he was the only one who knew anything about them. He was corporate's go to man. He would fly off to places and train new managers, as well as manage the arcade(s). He quite his job, because he couldn't get overtime. It was a yearly salary, so he would make the same amount of money, regardless of how he worked. He said he was stressed out because they would stop calling him. Even was he came to visit on non-paid vacation, they kept pestering him with questions about every 10 minutes, because the person in accounting didn't know how to use the Microsoft Suite. He moved back here and got his old job back, which was fixing arcade machines oddly enough

anyway, I know some companies are persnickety about cabinets, like Capcom. They would let anybody import SSF4:AE if you live outside of japan. I say this, because in Japan, They have a, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Cross Generation of Heroes, cabinet.

anyway good luck. In my area there are no arcades, even our malls don't have them, and they use too.

Thanks

I always liked that one where you got to shoot cups and it looked like they exploded.

Thanks
    EP Points

I appreciate all the splies from everyone. Good news, We've officially started setting up the arcade. Currently only a pool table in there, but still, it's a start.
    There were some complications which have set us back on a few things (namely having a theme to run with for the moment) But all is well, just going to run slower.

And I noticed someone mention music. I planned music form the start, but wasn't sure what to play. I had Anamagutchi in mind, but that's about it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    I appreciate all the splies from everyone. Good news, We've officially started setting up the arcade. Currently only a pool table in there, but still, it's a start.
    There were some complications which have set us back on a few things (namely having a theme to run with for the moment) But all is well, just going to run slower.

And I noticed someone mention music. I planned music form the start, but wasn't sure what to play. I had Anamagutchi in mind, but that's about it.
    Play some 80's/90's tunes man. And it's imperative to put a Pinball machine, Street Fighter and Metal Slug cabinets (preferably MS3).

Check my YouTube for gameplay and pickup videos!

Steam|Youtube

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

This:
    Quote Originally Posted by Englebert3rd View Post
    Play some 80's/90's tunes man. And it's imperative to put a Pinball machine, Street Fighter and Metal Slug cabinets (preferably MS3).
    Once you get more established, you should consider doing polls to see if anyone would be interested in new arcade cabinets . IE. KoF XIII or, whatever version of Street Fighter is out.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

Cool. I was wondering about this. Sadly, the one arcade shop I mentioned is closed now. In fact, the entire block is for sale.

Thanks
    EP Points

I don't have any helpful suggestions, but I want to wish the best of luck to you.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
    I don't have any helpful suggestions, but I want to wish the best of luck to you.
    You actually do have helpful suggestions, but you'd rather torture everyone.

Thanks
    EP Points

oh man, i can't believe I didn't see this topic!

Don't forget Turtles in Time, gotta have that in every arcade. I remember spending so much money on it.
    I also loved Tekken Tag Tournament, but that may just be me. X-Men vs. Street Fighter or Marvel vs. SF too.

As for the UV, since it's mostly for after school people, I wouldn't do it as it would still be light outside and since it's connected to a grocery store, it would be hard to keep it dark, I think.

Best of luck, bud!