Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashamed of being a gamer?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Ashamed of being a gamer?

So yeah. Let's talk about this. How "accepted" is gaming in you area, or among your friends and acquaintances, and so on? When people ask about your hobbies, do you include video games, or is that something that you'd rather not mention?

Personally, in my teens I used to deliberately omit video games when people asked me about my interests, since I thought it was generally considered lame/juvenile, or not a "valid/accepted" thing to like compared to music, books, movies and so on. Nowadays I just don't give a fuck. But still, I'm pretty sure there are people out there who, to this day, keep viewing gaming in the same way one would look at a kid playing with toys. Which is kinda funny considering how large the industry has become.

So, what's your take on this? Were you ever given weird looks for liking video games? Does the acceptance of gaming vary in different countries? And so on. I'd love to see opinions/personal stories of people from a variety of countries.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Pretty much everybody I know plays games, particularly those I went to college with... Of course, considering the program was Digital Entertainment and Game Design, that shouldn't be a surprise

So yeah, I see/have no reason to be ashamed of the hobby.

Thanks

Never really been ashamed of it, Never hid it either.

Most people I know play at least a few games.
    Though there are people who don't of course because it just takes more time than watching the TV or a movie, I assume it's because they don't have time/not patient enough.

I suppose putting it down as a hobby does seem to have a negative effect on your image because of how video games are portrayed here in US, specially with the popular ones being brainless violence.
    I've never been ashamed to say I play video games though, much less ones people have never heard of.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It's kind of a Catch-22 for me out here. A lot of people play games, including most of the people (at least around my age, +/- 5 years), but it's more of a "way to kill time" than it is a generally accepted pastime. Most of them are Call of Duty/Halo gamers, and that's about the extent that they really get into it. Whenever I tell them about a new game that I've been playing, I kind of get this sidelong look like, "what the fuck are you talking about? MW2 has been in my PS3 for like a year solid now. I didn't know they made other games for these things."

I don't shy away from the fact that I play games of all varieties (the Nintendo tattoo on my arm kind of hints towards that, for those who know what it means), but I also don't proclaim my love for them the way that I used to back in high school by any means. It's not nearly as "juvenile" as it seemed back when I was a kid, when most people thought that there was a much better way to spend your time, but it's still not really considered the greatest pastime. When people find out I went on a fourteen hour gaming session, all by myself, and have started collecting platinums (which reminds me... I need to finish RE5), they kind of get this weird look like, "this guy needs to get out more."

Iunno. That kind of rambled. Basically, most people my age view gaming as a way to kill a couple of hours. Anyone that does more than that isn't "cool." Because, you know, they aren't getting smashed at a house party on a Monday night and showing up at work completely thrashed. Which is basically what's considered "appropriate behaviour" out here for someone who is 23.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Never been told I should feel bad for being a gamer, much less been locked down upon for my hobby.

It was... other things... that got me made fun of and what not. But that's not an issue!

Besides, all my friends are gamers as well, so I don't hide it.

Thanks
    EP Points

I am not ashamed of my hobby, though from the looks and sarcastic remarks I get sometimes I think others believe I should be, but who cares it's something I enjoy. people don't really make a big deal of it here I think the most comments on me being a gamer comes about my age.

me: I like video games
    Them: how old are you
    me:30 why
    them: don't you think your a little old for games and you can't play your life away you have to earn a living.
    me: I have a job and am looking for a better one and still have time for gaming which is something I enjoy
    them:* shakes head and walks away*

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks

I feel as if everyone should be comfortable with being themselves. Personally while i was growing up i'd unhook the n64 and playstation if girls would ever come over, but if my friends would come over it wouldnt matter. I used to think that playing games would be considered to girls 'nerdy'. Now i'm older and similar to you, i really dont give a sh@$ what people would ever think, everyone only has one life, what people think should never really matter that much.
    Chaos would suit me just fine.

Supreme Warrior Guest

Course im not ashamed , I love Being a Gamer, and if i was to participate in Game related tournaments (fighters of course)

and somehow (not likely) get 1st place, i would be I would be showing that off to everyone

Thanks

I game, admit to being a gamer, and support anyone else who admits it.

Where i live, going to clubs or gambling is more acceptable then hanging out with friends or gaming. However, I've always admitted to playing games and being a gamer. I get the question of "why" or "don't you think you're too old blah blah blah" but really, if you grew up playing games, its who you are. It's part of your childhood. So ya. Meh to them. I keep calm and game on.

X

Sidenote: Btw, games tend to be great ice breakers, make for good conversation, and a good way to flirt.

Thanks
    EP Points

around where i live, gaming is frowned upon. if your not drinking or talking about other people then your not worth it to talk to. the few that did play games just played fps games which wasnt even often then and as i dont like them they just shot me nasty "kill him" looks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by knightshade View Post
    I am not ashamed of my hobby, though from the looks and sarcastic remarks I get sometimes I think others believe I should be, but who cares it's something I enjoy. people don't really make a big deal of it here I think the most comments on me being a gamer comes about my age.

me: I like video games
    Them: how old are you
    me:30 why
    them: don't you think your a little old for games and you can't play your life away you have to earn a living.
    me: I have a job and am looking for a better one and still have time for gaming which is something I enjoy
    them:* shakes head and walks away*
    I got the same from my family it was always why do You buy games/books all I said to them was I reread/play them and Id rather not go out and get drunk only to get into a fight at the end of the night

Thanks
    EP Points

Most of my friends are gamers, from the hardest of the hardcore to the most casual, so it's pretty much accepted amongst them.

As far as me being ashamed of it, I've never been. It's just another hobby, albeit really expensive and time consuming.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealSpiders View Post
    Most of my friends are gamers, from the hardest of the hardcore to the most casual, so it's pretty much accepted amongst them.

As far as me being ashamed of it, I've never been. It's just another hobby, albeit really expensive and time consuming.
    $60 for a new game once a month
    $10 for a six pack of beer every other night.

... yeah, I wonder which hobby is more expensive.

Video games, for me, are cheaper than pretty much any alternative time-wasting activity outside of just watching TV, surfing the Internet, and reading books from the library.

Thanks

Where I grew up, computery stuff was magic and the adults never really understood any of it, so it was kind of accepted without being questioned. No moral panics about kids playing Mortal Kombat or Carmageddon or GTA and so on. Much like television, I guess, but to a more extreme degree, since it was, uhm..deeper magic. Almost everyone had either a computer or a console, and I know a lot of those people are still actively gaming. In that aspect at least, it was not too bad. Growing up, I mean. Well, in the sense of getting old. Er. Anyone else suffer from feeling old and not grown up at the same time? (I believe it's called immaturity. I don't believe in it. :p)

In fact, from childhood to college, I don't think I've made one friend who wasn't a gamer, at least casually (as in, gamed occasionally as opposed to being a bit obsessed). So, from my rather limited perspective (I don't know a lot of people...maybe it's all the gaming heh), I'd say gaming is well-accepted in Croatia. As everywhere, people are mostly playing FPSs, but that's okay, I can still mostly convince them that a game of Quake is middle-ground

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth View Post
    $60 for a new game once a month
    $10 for a six pack of beer every other night.

... yeah, I wonder which hobby is more expensive.

Video games, for me, are cheaper than pretty much any alternative time-wasting activity outside of just watching TV, surfing the Internet, and reading books from the library.
    Yeah, you're pretty much right, I guess I was just looking at the current season what with the current influx of games that I have bought/will be buying (I'm looking at you November). That, and the fact that gaming is pretty much my only hobby.