Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Ashamed of being a gamer?

Thanks
    EP Points

I think video games became an acceptable pastime (for my demographic at least) when the original Halo was released. That was the first time I would hear people talking about video games on an almost every-other-day basis, and although it was still kind of "weird", there were fairly normal people who could openly admit to playing vidoegames (or at least that specific one) until the wee hours of the night, and brag about their prowess.
    I also think (again, from my observation) that from Co Modern Warfare onward, there has been at least one game (usually the next iteration of CoD) that was part of the zeitgeist; a game that almost everyone knew about and enjoyed.
    But a passion, in the same sense that one would be passionate about literature or painting, or any other art form...? No. Absolutely not.
    Spoiler warning:
    Since I don't want to ramble, insert the obligatory "I don't know if I want videogames to become totally mainstream diatribe" here.

But have I been ostracized for it? No. So I've never had to be "ashamed". But most do find it odd...
    Except for when I mention that I play WoW. I have received numerous "Oh, you're one of those people" looks.
    Last edited by Alakazander; 18th-October-2011 at 15:05.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I've never been ashamed, and never will. I grew up playing games since I was 3 and I'm 21 now. Don't think I'll ever stop, probably reduce my time but stopping entirely is out of the question. It is a hobby of mine, that is most precious and like the different experiences I get with it. I'd say that people who are in an odd spot with gamers, must be indoctrinated by the media that videogames lead to shootings and what-not. To be honest I'd blame the parents for that, or at least should've checked for a mental history.
    Now games are more mainstream, which is a good thing in a way. More people are accepting gamers; and even older people enjoy them be it casual or hardcore gaming.

Check my YouTube for gameplay and pickup videos!

Steam|Youtube

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    That's hardcore gehy
    So true .

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks

I love games, if someone judged me negatively for that, that would be them being juvenile and close-minded...I would honestly laugh at someone if they tried to judge me or someone for liking video games...

Thanks

I get ashamed of being a gamer when I see people out on the street wearing shirts like "I work out my fingers all the time". Or when I play jump shoot crate.

Thanks

Of being a gamer? No, but I am ashamed of not playing a game/game series that been around for a while (I only recently started playing the Street Fighter franchise. First one was SF Alpha 3 back in last November.) or that I've never heard of.

Thanks

I'm not ashamed of being a gamer, necessarily. It's who I am, and always have been. But the thing is, I'm 18, and am well-versed in all kinds of games, from the NES era to today. Most of my friends, however, are part of the Call of Duty crowd, and have no idea about most, if not all, of the games that I tell them about. I was brought up on Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy, and Dragon Warrior. I don't care much for first-person shooters. Plus, gaming used to be kind of an inside thing: either you played games, or you didn't. Nowadays, everyone, even grandmas play games. Gaming doesn't feel as special to me as it used to...

Thanks
    EP Points

Have I ever been ashamed of being a gamer? No, but I have been ashamed when I was absolutely obsessed with games. It got to be a problem social wise because my friends got tired of hearing about them and eventually I let up and found other hobbies to mix in. I made plenty of friends of all kinds of hobbies and our conversations ranged from things like music games tv shows to more serious things like news, politics, religion, philosophy and whatever else we would talk about.Many of my friends were also gamers though just not to the extent I was when I was obsessed.

Now if somebody were to try to judge me for gaming I would ask what they did for hobbies. I bet they watch tv or movies. Same difference to me except games flex your mind and reflexes. One could also prove to them that games are deeper than just "shoot him in the face!". Games can get pretty deep. They can be emotional. They can encourage. They can even teach lessons or get you to think critically. Some are like books in that they tell a story. Some are like artwork in that they evoke an emotional response. Some are like movies in that they get you pumped.

Three more days until Party time!

Thanks

I have never been ashamed of it, considering I studied Computer Science, its completely related to programming stuff. Although I remember when I was a kid, probably 8 (Im 29 now) videogames were seen only as something for kids, something a 17-18 year old dude was never gonna think about doing, not to mention older people. Fortunately video games have been evolving to the degree actual 'older' people play them, and they're already a very important part of our tech culture. Its pretty cool to see parents buying consoles not only for their kids, but for them too. I've changed my kid's gaming habits (playing hrs and hrs) to what they call 'casual' gamer. I love videogames as much as everyone here, but well, we grow up, and sometimes there's not much time left to play them, we have to study, work, take care of kids, do this or that, or whatever.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Greased up deaf guy View Post
    You. You are stupid.

Spoiler warning:
    I'm retarded, and sodomize myself with a 2x4.
    No, this is stupid. You are simply ignorant.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks

More like ashamed of not having enough time to play videogames or ashamed of being on the last part of FFVI and not finishing it (I just don't want it to ever end really ).

Thanks

Only when reminded i don't have a job, and those applications filled out don't come back as a job.

Pickles is offline dagnabbit! These dad-gum kids and their new-fangled gizzy-moes!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skullpoker View Post
    No, this is stupid. You are simply ignorant.
    Ignorant to what exactly?

If someone kills a child over a facebook game that doesn't make it relevant to gaming or to anything else for that matter, nore does it refelct on other gamers. A guy killed his mother recently in a dispute invloving Miley Cyrus tickets or something similar, and that in no way means people who listen to her music are killers, or should be ashamed (well maybe they should ) of listening to her music.

I dont know what you're getting worked up about anyway.

Thanks

Gaming is accepted where I am, namely high school, but a majority of people there are either gamers or play flash games during class. The only negative parts would be how people who know I game and are not really into it themselves think all I do is play CoD and how I am the only person who still plays old games, a few of my mates do but that's nostalgia opposed to retro gaming.

Thanks
    EP Points

I've been a gamer my entire life, why should I be ashamed? Everyone I know knows it and quite a few are gamers themselves. Also you'd be able to tell upon meeting me, because I use my DSi as an (m4a) player...

There's not much reason for me to disown the one industry that's consistently very entertaining.