Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Final Fantasy IX issues.

Thanks

Originally I had problems with FF IX. I could view the opening cinematic, but then when I selected "new game" the game would go to a black screen and never change, even though the music kept playing. Turns out that there was some problem when I ran "unecm" on the original ecm file and it never completed. So I ran it again and it stopped after 80% or so and I had the same problem. Tried it one more time and it completed, game worked then.

Then I had problems with the audio that were really annoying. After a battle, one note from the victory music would get "stuck" and play over the other music. I eventually just downloaded an older version of ePSXe and it worked just fine on that.

Probably not helpful but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Nyves View Post
    This is it, I think?

The Video plug-in doesn't give me the option of using 512 in the drop down menu. I know I can just enter it in but I feel like there's a reason why it's not an option.
    It's not an option because of the d3d video plugin not supporting it your card should support shader model 2.0 so I switch plugins and use pete's opengl 2.9 you will then have the option to select 512 from the dropdown list also 1.70 does have issues with final fantasy 9 use epsxe version 1.5.2 make sure you have the special game fixes enabled and click ... and select the one that says it's for ff9 and the one that says it needs to be on for epsxe 1.5.2 if you need a link for 1.5.2 here you go http://www.epsxe.com/download.php

your plugins and bios for 1.7.0 will work with 1.5.2 no need to redownload those.

also after you get used to opengl2.9 you can use custom shaders to make final fantasy 9 look better than original here a screen shot for you to look at
    Spoiler warning:
    Name:  ff9 bump map shader.jpg
Views: 4820
Size:  74.8 KB

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks
    EP Points

go with pete's d3d driver 1.76

whatever resolution you want

texture quality throw it on the r8 one

filtering use only 4 or 0

hi res textures leave at 0

for your vram leave it at 256

make sure you enable the check box for frame limiting and such and enter your 60 fps

set your off screen drawing to 3 your fbtexture to 2 and fbaccess to 4 leave your maskbit and alpha pass on and advanced blending on hardware.

leave everything in misc off except for the special game fixes has an ff9 option i think and if you want you could throw on full screen smoothing, you may have to try once with or without.

you have integrated video and it has tv out (I think)

it should do the trick and if you do have a multicore definitely set it to use 1 like Tanthias said -you can find this in your task manager. this is pretty much what I use and it works
    Last edited by captain handy; 16th-September-2011 at 21:52.

Thanks
    EP Points

well i have a amd quadcore pheneom and i have no issues running any lower gen emulators, i use ePSXe for everything
    *Computer Specs*
    Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
    Processor: AMD FX 8350 Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.1GHz
    Memory: 16GB RAM
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 8GB GDDR5

If You Find My Help Useful In Any Way Please Click Thanks.
    Bennieboi's Question Of The Day (now defunct)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by knightshade View Post
    It's not an option because of the d3d video plugin not supporting it your card should support shader model 2.0 so I switch plugins and use pete's opengl 2.9 you will then have the option to select 512 from the dropdown list also 1.70 does have issues with final fantasy 9 use epsxe version 1.5.2 make sure you have the special game fixes enabled and click ... and select the one that says it's for ff9 and the one that says it needs to be on for epsxe 1.5.2 if you need a link for 1.5.2 here you go http://www.epsxe.com/download.php

your plugins and bios for 1.7.0 will work with 1.5.2 no need to redownload those.

also after you get used to opengl2.9 you can use custom shaders to make final fantasy 9 look better than original here a screen shot for you to look at
    Spoiler warning:
    Name:  ff9 bump map shader.jpg
Views: 4820
Size:  74.8 KB
    Okay, I got the 2.9 one, and it is looking nice but there's some problems with the sound that I'll mess around with. It's fine but when I get into a battle every MIDI sound played is held through the battle so it's just a mess of sound.

EDIT: I switched it over from 1.5.2 to 1.7 and I don't have that problem anymore. I also changed your settings from 512 to 256 and it worked fine. I still have choppy battle (hehe) music, though.
    Last edited by Nyves; 19th-September-2011 at 20:24.

Thanks
    EP Points

not sure never had sound issues with mine but so you know the scene with the airship in dali freezes on 1.7 so when you get close to that point save and switch to 1.5.2 and play past that scene then swap back to 1.7

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught

Thanks

Oh, thanks for that. I'm not sure if I'm close to there. Is it the moment I get to the airship it freezes, or at some random point on the airship?

Thanks
    EP Points

it's at a point on the air ship I'll leave it at that to avoid spoilers but as this part wont last long just switch back when you get off the airship at you destination.

Thanks
    EP Points

Actually I've played all the way to near the end of disk 3 on ff9 with OpenGL2 on ePSXe 1.7.0 and no issues. I can play any of the squaresoft games with 1.7, and I use the same graphics card as he does.

Thanks
    EP Points

do you also have choppy battle music if not maybe you could help him with his sound settings.

Thanks
    EP Points

I just use the regular sound plugin that comes with the emulator, and I run all my games using daemon tools lite, so instead of running iso I run cd-rom.

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9
    Author: Pete Bernert
    Card vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
    GFX card: GeForce 6150SE nForce 430/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!

Resolution/Color:
    - 1360x768 Fullscreen - NO desktop changing
    - Internal X resolution: 1
    - Internal Y resolution: 1
    - Keep psx aspect ratio: on
    - No render-to-texture: off

- Filtering: 4
    - Hi-Res textures: 0
    - TexWin pixel shader: on
    - VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
    - FPS limitation: on
    - Frame skipping: off
    - FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
    - Offscreen drawing: 2
    - Framebuffer effects: 3
    - Framebuffer uploads: 1

Misc:
    - Scanlines: off
    - Mdec filter: on
    - Screen filtering: on
    - Shader effects: 0/1
    - Flicker-fix border size: 0
    - GF4/XP crash fix: off
    - Game fixes: on [00000003]

I hope this helps. btw I will tweak 1 or two settings from time to time for certain final fantasy games but this will pretty much get the job done with no major crashes, and just the rare ones that happen from time to time with any emulation. If I change anything it's usually just to raise or lower the framebuffer effects and uploads to tweak the battle swirl, which works pretty well with little hassle. other than this, just use applicable game fixes. I use this on a desktop, always full screen at 1360by768, window's 7 32bit.
    Last edited by deathneko11; 27th-September-2011 at 05:55.