Thread: Strategy Games Discussion

Thanks

Default Strategy Games Discussion

Hello there,
    What is the difference between:
    Strategy - Real Time - Military
    Strategy - Real Time - Historic
    Strategy - Real Time - Sci-Fi

"Command & Conquer - Red Alert" is of the type "Strategy - Real Time - Sci-Fi"
    "Codename Panzers: Phase One" is of the type "Strategy - Real-Time - Historic"
    "Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines" is of the type "Strategy - Real-Time - Military"

I can't get it as I see that
    Command & Conquer, there are modern tanks, planes and armies, so why isn't it considered under Military Category?
    Command & Conquer Red Alert 3.jpg
    Also "Codename Panzers: Phase One" has modern tanks, so why is it under Historic category?
    Codename Panzers-Phase One.JPG
    And Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines of Military category:
    Commandos - Behind the Enemy Line.JPG
    Last edited by BlackCitadel; 25th-August-2011 at 09:26.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Where did you get these classifications in the first place. I've never heard anyone seriously try to pare down at the definitions that much. At any rate, let's look these games up...

C&C Red Alert: You're seriously asking about the reason this one? Weapons-grade tesla coils, invulnerability fields, and a story fundamentally underpinned by time travel all make for science fiction.

Codename Panzers: It's World War 2, and it appears to follow the primary campaigns of that war. That's traditionally considered historical, unless the game was made 20 years before transistors.

Commandos: It's World War 2, but it looks like it's carried out in parallel to the actual war rather than integrated into the historical campaigns.

Thanks
    EP Points

the best strategy games are the ones that play like chess IE: disgaea, fire emblem, luminous arc etc...

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    Where did you get these classifications in the first place. I've never heard anyone seriously try to pare down at the definitions that much. At any rate, let's look these games up...

C&C Red Alert: You're seriously asking about the reason this one? Weapons-grade tesla coils, invulnerability fields, and a story fundamentally underpinned by time travel all make for science fiction.

Codename Panzers: It's World War 2, and it appears to follow the primary campaigns of that war. That's traditionally considered historical, unless the game was made 20 years before transistors.

Commandos: It's World War 2, but it looks like it's carried out in parallel to the actual war rather than integrated into the historical campaigns.
    Thanks for this. Saved me a lot of typing.

Thanks

I got them from the website "GameFAQs".
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/196957-command-and-conquer

Thanks

If you are looking for a good Sci-Fi strategy/sim, try Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. Star Wars Rebellion is also pretty good.
    Last edited by crimsonedge; 28th-August-2011 at 09:28.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonedge View Post
    If you are looking for a good Sci-Fi strategy/sim, try Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. Star Wars Rebellion is also pretty good.

ahhh, good old rebellion I remember it well. However I would go for Starwars Empire at War and the forces of corruption add on pack!!!! Fun stuff.

Thanks
    EP Points

Don't forget Galactic Battlegrounds, that one is fuuuuuuuuuuun.

Thanks

Company of heroes is my favorite, destructive environments, people blown literally to pieces by artillery, ai takes auto cover,...the list goes on about this game, I am also one of those people who like to play offline on skirmish mode too....they should come out with more CoH titles