Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gamer Looking To Re-Discover His Roots

Thanks

Default Gamer Looking To Re-Discover His Roots

It seemed like only yesterday when I picked up a video game console for the first time. Over those 16 years, I thought I had acceptable gaming skills. Turns out, they were worth jack squat.

I wasn't having fun, and it showed through a lack of a serious playstyle.

To cure that, I thought, I needed to go back to my single player roots - pick up the old classics and replay them in the hopes that I can rediscover my inner gamer.

So to you guys at Emuparadise, I ask this: Do you know any games (emulated of course) that would help me relearn gaming at the core? I ask this only because I'm losing the "fun" in gaming - and I want that back.

Supreme Warrior Guest

Question is, what Genre do you want to play?

Platformer, RPG, Action Adventure, FPS, etc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Warrior View Post
    Question is, what Genre do you want to play?

Platformer, RPG, Action Adventure, FPS, etc.
    I didn't specify mostly because I wanted to re-discover my roots in EVERY genre. The thing to note here is that I don't seem to have a style of playing games (in RPGs, I can't pick a party/class; in fighters, I can't decide on a character to play as; and lastly, I just overall suck at video games) - what I want to do is find that once more.

So every genre would be the best.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

if you ask me, I'd start out with Super Mario Bros on the NES. 'Cause that's where I started my gaming roots. It's a great platformer, and great for beginners. So I'd definitely give that and maybe Megaman a try.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace Ventura For This Useful Post:

Supreme Warrior Guest

So basically ya just want us to throw some suggestions out eh?

its not possible to just plain suck at a game, unless you have a mental disability

if you want a unique RPG with Fun Battles I suggest the Tales series, all 3 of the PSX Tales games run just peachy in the PSX emulator pSX fin.
    for a fun challenging Platforming experience, Castlevania is a fun choice.
    a very simple Fighting game for PSX Evil Zone is very entertaining and there are no complicated moves to learn.

well thats all i can think of, you might wanna get a good NES/SNES emu and Kega Fusion to play Classic NES/SNES and Genesis Titles.

Thanks

So basically ya just want us to throw some suggestions out eh?
    Pretty much, yes.

its not possible to just plain suck at a game, unless you have a mental disability
    But I do have one. Asperger's, to be precise. The rapidity of my mind forces me to make outwardly (and crazily) stupid moves.

Case in point: In Street Fighter, I tend to be overly rushing with the Hadouken; or in Megaman, I'll sometimes try too hard to get rid of an enemy in my way because I lack the confidence to jump over him - it's simple things like this that make me doubt my gamer skills.

This is why I've set out on this quest to rediscover myself through gaming - I find it's the best way to define myself - who I am, what I prefer, and what I want to become eventually.

Thanks

If you can't make a simple decision in a video game like which party setup, or character to pick, then how the hell did you get this far in life?

Just pick whatever and play, its a damn game and you are putting too much thought into it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonedge View Post
    If you can't make a simple decision in a video game like which party setup, or character to pick, then how the hell did you get this far in life?

Just pick whatever and play, its a damn game and you are putting too much thought into it.
    Exactly; why the hell AM I putting so much damn thought into this? That's what I want to figure out. I don't know how, but I do know I'd better figure it out, and fast.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Cuono View Post
    Case in point: In Street Fighter, I tend to be overly rushing with the Hadouken; or in Megaman, I'll sometimes try too hard to get rid of an enemy in my way because I lack the confidence to jump over him - it's simple things like this that make me doubt my gamer skills.
    Sounds like you already have a playstyle. You just need to adapt it better or improve it through refinement.

Really, a playstyle is something that should happen organically. Forcing it to happen is the furthest from fun you can get.

As long as you aren't failing hard at the games it's fine. Competitive gaming is stupid. And if you are failing hard, just keep going and learn some new strategies that way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raype View Post
    Sounds like you already have a playstyle. You just need to adapt it better or improve it through refinement.

Really, a playstyle is something that should happen organically. Forcing it to happen is the furthest from fun you can get.

As long as you aren't failing hard at the games it's fine. Competitive gaming is stupid. And if you are failing hard, just keep going and learn some new strategies that way.
    Define "failing hard". Because by my definition, if I'm not doing it cleanly while being legit, I'm "failing hard".

Especially in MMORPGs, I can't take a pick between a Warrior, who fights with brute force and heads into combat face-first, or the Magician, who fights using magic from a distance. I can't even decide on the Rogue, whom stealthily hits enemies fast and hard. Or the Archer, who fights from a distance, but with physical melee.

I've been playing a cheater's game, filled with nothing but Level 100 legendaries (Pokemon), godmodes (any action games), and access to all cards (Yugioh) on a friggin Gameshark/Action Replay; and I'm sick of it - hence why I desperately want to find my playstyle - one that's fair and legit.
    Last edited by Joshua Cuono; 17th-August-2011 at 06:18.

Thanks

I would probably recommend Shining force I or II. Mainly due to the fact that your forced to play as every character you have in your team.

It isn't too much of a pain to figure out what equips go to which team member. As for the power rings and herbs, I'd just say hand them off to whoever is in your team and use them when you need to use them. I usually hand the most powerful items off to the main character. If he dies, its gameover, so why not?

Their Classic turnbased games, but the second would have to be my all time favorite.

(Oh, and the shining force games can be found for a GBA emulator, or a Sega genesis one as well. The GBA ones are just remakes for portable gaming)
    Last edited by rodabaughwf; 17th-August-2011 at 06:45.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rodabaughwf View Post
    I would probably recommend Shining force I or II. Mainly due to the fact that your forced to play as every character you have in your team.

Later on you get more characters than you need, but the best of them are pretty obvious.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

any RPG where you don't want to cheat, just play the game more. Hang out in an area after it becomes easy to kill all the monsters that area has to offer. Keep levelling, at least 1 or 2 levels after it all gets easy. Then move on to the next area. Take your time in each area.

Try some fast paced games, like R-Type, gradius, gyrus... If your brain moves too fast in most games, play to your strengths. Fast reflexes are great for shooters. Also, try some fighting games without hadokens, like Soul Blade or Tekken on ePSXe. These play to a more "in your face" fast paced style.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks

I'm so busy that time so I can not play any games( .

Thanks

I will totally agree with SkullPoker. Honestly my play still varies from game to game. In Gears of War. I am reckless and run up to a boomer if I have a shotgun. I die a lot but it's really funny. I am a lot better than that but meh. I play for fun not pride although some of my friends essentially play video games for Achievements, I couldn't care less. Halo I am fast and I never stop moving. I play like my brain works. I never stop moving when I don't take my pills sooo...

All in all just play and see what feels right. It should come naturally.

In terms of games. Play games like Earthbound or Chrono Trigger. Neither games are extremely hard... Chrono Trigger is kind in the easy side. I don't know about Earthbound I am still at the beginning.