Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How demading is PCSX2 0.98? (looking for an solution for low fps/lag)

Thanks

Try turning your turbo core off for the CPU, and while you are in the bios turn off Hyper-threading too, just to see what happens.

Some say turbo cores fluctuate too much causing dips in play, and maybe the logical cores(hyper threading) are mixing things up too... something to try anyhow.

Also on a side note, the process usage in task manager says "51 processes" in bottom left corner, but only shows about 10 in the window, so hidden processes are running.. maybe other things slowing it down.

Thanks

Isn't changing BIOS settings too much just to play a few games?
    Anyway, I'll give it a try. But about the task manager and those 51 processes... couldn't they be part of the ones shown?
    Maybe i should just wait until there is a new version with better support to the cores...

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, you could try disabling the Hyper-threading at least, maybe there will be some improvement if you do that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shinomori View Post
    Isn't changing BIOS settings too much just to play a few games?
    Anyway, I'll give it a try. But about the task manager and those 51 processes... couldn't they be part of the ones shown?
    Maybe i should just wait until there is a new version with better support to the cores...
    Thing is, your CPU is a dual core i5 and will only turbo boost 1 core when the other is not in use.. the other quad core i5's turbo boost 2 cores when other 2 are not in use. I dont know how well optimised pcsx2 is, but it may only be using 1 core sometimes, so what happens is that 1 core shoots up to 3.5GHz, but then the other core becomes initiated so the turbo boost drops off back to 3.2GHz with 2 cores at that speed, this could be happening on and off when running it.

And since you cpu is 3.2GHz at stock, you should check it out anyway.

AS far as the process window goes.. is there not an option to tick to see all proceses?.. I just checked my task manager and its there showing all running processes.
    Last edited by Constipated Rat; 16th-August-2011 at 23:21.

Thanks

Just tried...
    Disabling both, Turbo and HT, the fps of FFX's opening reached... 27% and CPU usage went up to 79%! (CPU usage during gameplay without this was around 40~50%)
    That's not the solution it seems...

AS far as the process window goes.. is there not an option to tick to see all proceses?.. I just checked my task manager and its there showing all running processes.
    I don't know about this option and never seen it before.
    Last edited by Shinomori; 16th-August-2011 at 23:27.

Thanks

Are you logged in as the admin?.. maybe thats is why the option isnt there. The processes could be using ram, so you need to find that out.

Also is this machine a Desktop or a Laptop?

Thanks

Yes, i'm logged as Admin, could you tell me where is the option then? and my RAM usage is kinda low (around 12% all the time, and while running PCSX2 it stays on 16%).
    It's a Desktop.

Thanks

It is usually at the bottom left corner of the window. See the tick box at the bottom corner in this image.

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  13.7 KB

I think you're OK though, since you seem to have a lot of ram anyhow... must be an emu vs pc setup thing, these things happen. Some get it good, others suffer.
    Last edited by Constipated Rat; 16th-August-2011 at 23:49.

Thanks

Found it, just needed to click on the button with the shield image
    Well, nothing strange there, just Windows, nVidia, a netbanking thing, Avast and Nero(1) components.
    And even with such a low usage of my RAM (12%) could this be the problem?

Thanks

Still may be a setting though, just flick about with the settings, I haven't diced much with the emu myself TBH, but every pc setup is different and this effects emu's sometimes for no good reason. But remember if it really annoys you, just get a PS2 and mod it.

NEWS!! PCSX2 now supports 4 cores. A guy just made a thread about on the forum. You may want to re-engage your Turbo and HT lol.

Check it out http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...quad-cores-now...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Constipated Rat View Post
    Still may be a setting though, just flick about with the settings, I haven't diced much with the emu myself TBH, but every pc setup is different and this effects emu's sometimes for no good reason. But remember if it really annoys you, just get a PS2 and mod it.

NEWS!! PCSX2 now supports 4 cores. A guy just made a thread about on the forum. You may want to re-engage your Turbo and HT lol.

Check it out http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...quad-cores-now...
    Well, buying a modded one looks like the best alternative ^^' (even though i just wanted to play the Undub/translated versions on the emulator)
    And i've seen this thread but didn't downloaded it since i have no idea if it's an official release.

Thanks

Its not hard to Softmod a PS2 or atleast the memory card(FreeMCBoot).. But you do need a way to run and install the softmod like using another modded PS2. BUT some of the guys on here offer the service for free. Send them your memory card and they will sort it out with a Soft mod to play backups.

Thanks

I'll try getting a modded PS2, just hope that the modchip used is as good as it's told... (a friend recommended it some time ago, but i usually just play original games).
    But thanks for your help until now, i'll try to learn about this FreeMCBoot and how to use it. (I don't know if i would be able to send it to someone here anyway.)