Thread: Discussion: The greatest video games of all time

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Discussion: The greatest video games of all time

Ill start. FF7 is in my opinion the best because mostly of its rich story line. At the time of release the execution of this game was second to none, graphics, sound, story, and playability were impeccable. This had the gaming community the world over encumbered under its sheer epicness. It still stands as one of the greats and i look forward to the remake.

Thanks

If you ask me FFVII's story was extremely similar to VI and kind of went down hill after you left Midgar ... but hey, each one to his own.

I'd have to say that the best videogame of all time would have to be Chrono Trigger: Great story-line, awesome soundtrack, kickass characters and awesome gameplay. The one down side to that game is that the main character has a hair boner.
    Capturing Pokemon never looked so easy!

Supreme Warrior Guest

im not sure if there is a thread like this already, well if there is itil get locked lickady split

since this is all about opinion, Xenogears has one of the most fantastic storylines ever, very top notch, along with the Xenosaga series (which i still need to beat).

as for my other Passion, Fighting games, Gotta say King of Fighters 2002 UM, game is Godlike , fast fluid controls and the OST is the best in the 2D KOF series.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Pong
    Tetris
    Super Metroid
    Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball

You may now close the thread.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks

mirrors edge for its atmosphere
    bushido blade since it was way ahead of its time
    disgaea for the humour and content

Thanks

I'm going to nominate the first Super Mario Bros.

To me, the things that seperate a great game from a merely good game are longevity and influence. SMB practically defined the 2d platform genre, its seen several remakes and the original still stands up. When you've seen that many remakes and the only changes are the save system (minor, in a game you can beat in <10 minutes if you know what you're doing) you know you're onto a winner.

Course, I'm going to fan the flames and disagree with FFVII being a great game. Its a good if somewhat typical RPG but its aged badly. Not so much the storyline (though half the reason it needed so much supporting material was that the initial translation was dodgy as fuck and it made the storytelling mistake of putting vital plot info in optional scenes) but the gameplay itself. The real differences between it and every other JRPG in the style - the materia system and the limit breaks - were poorly balanced and very much showed that they needed further refinement.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Warrior View Post
    im not sure if there is a thread like this already, well if there is itil get locked lickady split
    For some reason I thought you were calling Milady "licklady."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You're all wrong with your RPGs with two dimensional characters with even then outdated graphics and platformers and fighting games, because the greatest game ever made was Homeworld.

Perfection was reached in 1999 and nothing has ever come close to it since then! Except maybe Homeward: Cataclysm. But I can't even play that game anymore because it decided to hate Windows 7 and my old XP machine, despite working about a thousand times on said XP machine.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Friendly warning, if this turns out to be yet another favourite thread, with some people making lists and others bashing the games listed, the thread will be closed.

Thanks

The games I'd consider to be the greatest of all time...
    Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3/4: The mix between The Sims, Pokemon and Final Fantasy is just fantastic. I live these games to bits.
    Kingdom Hearts is also great, I'm just a Disney Fanboy I suppose
    Chrono Trigger was great with all the Time Travel and Alternate Endings, which is what made it so interesting and unique (There was nothing quite like it back then)
    Final Fantasy VII was fantastic, I finished it first time last month, but it's only good if you've enjoyed other games in the series (Crisis Core, Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus.)
    I would've expected some one to mention Ocarina of Time by now. It's also a great game, but damn it, I'm STILL stuck at that DAMN WATER TEMPLE!!!
    "Xion, I don't want to kill you, and to prove that to you, I'm going to kill you!"
    -KingDUMB Hearts

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mario View Post
    The real differences between it and every other JRPG in the style - the materia system and the limit breaks - were poorly balanced and very much showed that they needed further refinement.
    Limits (the mechanic, at least, not the actual word) were in VI. And materia is a poor man's esper.

I'm not entirely sure how I should go about this... I mean, when you talk about "the greatest" do you mean the most innovative? The most loved? Or simply the one that is the most fun?

For me all of these things coalesce into one game: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
    (Inb4 everyone else who is going to say the exact same game).

Thanks

Final Fantasy 7 is the most overrated video game in history.

Chrono Trigger is the greatest video game of all time. That is all.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fugsnarf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Fugsnarf View Post
    Final Fantasy 7 is the most overrated video game in history.

Chrono Trigger is the greatest video game of all time. That is all.
    Exactly what we don't want here.

Thread closed.