Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just got a new 2TB harddrive by hitachi... is it supposed to be noisy and loud?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default just got a new 2TB harddrive by hitachi... is it supposed to be noisy and loud?

so i have been using it like 2 or three times so far, and i noticed it makes alot of clicking sounds (kind of loud but not too loud) and when i turned it off last (turns off when ejected) it kinda sounded like the fan inside it was making a loud noise, so is it supposed to or no?

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, does it have a fan?

Supreme Warrior Guest

almost all external HDDs have no fan, luffy could you post a link of the one you bought?

if you want to make your own quality quiet External drive get a internal Western Digital SATA HDD and one of these,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817173043

they come in black and silver, I own 2 and will never buy premade externals again.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

That's what I did last time. Pro way to do it is pro.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Warrior View Post
    almost all external HDDs have no fan, luffy could you post a link of the one you bought?

if you want to make your own quality quiet External drive get a internal Western Digital SATA HDD and one of these,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817173043

they come in black and silver, I own 2 and will never buy premade externals again.
    http://www.dormdeals.net/2011/hitach...hard-drive-70/ its this one, though i don't use the base piece

Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Supreme Warrior Guest

ok, those are fanless , and with that noisy one of yours you might want to run some diagnostic programs on it to see if its about to croak or something, better get a refund or replacement if its truly makeing a ton of noise.

Thanks
    EP Points

>Hitachi
    >Clicking noises
    >This is to be expected, it's a Hitachi afterall, they're Godawful.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Warrior View Post
    ok, those are fanless , and with that noisy one of yours you might want to run some diagnostic programs on it to see if its about to croak or something, better get a refund or replacement if its truly makeing a ton of noise.
    problem for diagnostic, im on a mac, should it be making noise at all though? like sure it should make a bit of noise at least maybe i can record the noise it makes...

Thanks
    EP Points

Crunching, clicking and grinding are not normal noises.

Hard drives are supposed to make noise yes, but the above noises suggest there's a problem.

Thanks
    EP Points

crap, i just wasted alot of time filling it for nothing then since i gotta wipe it and return it, my old one is a lacie it never makes noise, but its only 1TB

Supreme Warrior Guest

2 TBs are more hassle tan they are worth, I only get 1 TBs,

Fill up a 2 TB and have in instantly die on you is rather...painful.

Thanks
    EP Points

hence why i asked here before continuing use, once im sure what i am going to do, i will remove my data get my money back and get a replacement

so are 2TB an ACTUAL hassle or are you just saying that because if it were to die you would lose more data? cause maybe i would just go for 2 one terras.
    (im asking if 2 TB or 3 tb is less stable than a 1tb or something like that)

Thanks
    EP Points

I don't see why a 2TB drive would be any different to any other.

I'd just get another 2TB, but a good make, like Western Digital or Samsung, no Maxtor, Hitachi or Seagate.

Thanks
    EP Points

i was considering WD but id rather not shell out $200

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by luffy4 View Post
    i was considering WD but id rather not shell out $200
    Hitachi drives are probably the worst.
    If you don't want to pay for a decent WD drive then you'll just have to put up with a sub-standard drive.

Don't be surprised if your drive fails in less than 2 years

Spoiler warning: