Thread: MAME on MAC

Thanks

Default MAME on MAC

Hello I'm new here

I am currently trying to play neo geo games on MAME OSX on mac, but it appears that it didn't show all of neo geo games only 2 or 3. I did some further research about MAME OSX and neo geo. It appears that I need a neo geo Bio file which I did download it and I put it on ROM file as I followed the instruction and that too didn't work as well. However I download a older version of MAME OSX well 6 games only showed up. (I didn't unzip games or bio files I just leave them as it is.)

I'm really confused.. there are reasons that some ROMs are out dated and doesnt work on a newer version of MAME emulator (which is why i downloaded older version.) Some people said that some roms requires CHD files... which I don't really understand how it works. Some people said rename the zip file according to MAME Library (which i did still not work)...

The only thing is that I'll have to play on Window rather than Mac. As MAME emulator on mac just don't work on Neo Geo games... could anyone tell why I can't play some neo geo games on MAME OSX...?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

MAME OS doesn't matter in the slightest, every time MAME is updated a change to the roms come as newer/cleaner versions are dumped, even the bios there are several versions of the Neo-Geo bios

Basicly you need the correct rom set for the version of MAME that MAME-OSX is based upon, at a wild guess the version numbers should match

This is not just Mac users alot of users that try and get MAME working for the first time often get confused by this

Also you will need the master rom to play each game that has one when a game has various versions, this is always the biggest rom as all the others use the roms from the master rom.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 16th-August-2011 at 16:15.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Ah thanks for replying back. So I need a version of neo geo bios that fit with MAME OSX's version? How could I correct rom set for the version of MAME? By unzipping the rom file and replace another one?

And also what do you mean by master rom and how could I get this master rom could you explain further? Sorry I'm just new to this MAME. Hope you dont mind answering =_='

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Shame I don't have mame at the moment but I will try and explain anyway...

Golden Axe (U) 1.00 [2MB]
    Golden Axe (U) 1.20 [4MB]
    Golden Axe (J) 1.00 [20MB]
    Golden Axe (J) 1.20 [4MB]
    Golden Axe (E) 1.00 [2MB]
    Golden Axe (E) 1.20 [4MB]

Lets just say Golden Axe has 6 versions... the above.

Golden Axe (J) 1.00 would be a master rom (largest in file size).
    Golden Axe (J) 1.20 might be a different version but shares the files in the Golden Axe (J) 1.00 roms zip file.
    Golden Axe (U) both versions also use the files in the master rom zip even though these are in a different region and language.
    same would go for the (E) versions of the same game.

If you can find the roms for your exact version of MAME then no you don't need to combine the rom zips, but replace then, it's not very oftem that you would need to replace any files inside of a zip, it's easier to find a whole zip replacement rather than trying to find the roms contained with-in the zip files.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Ah ok I understand now cheers I'll try find the master version on any rom sites. If I'm stuck i'll let you know.. for now I'll try look around some rom sites and see if they have different neo geo rom versions.