Thread: Help me find a compatible power supply please!

Thanks

Default Help me find a compatible power supply please!

I have an HP p6703w, the current power supply in the machine is:

Bestec ATX-250-12Z-D7R
    P/N 5188-2622

+12v/14a
    -12v/0.8a
    +5v/25a
    +5vsb/2a
    +3.3v/18a
    20 pin, even though the board has 24 pins...

I'm looking anywhere between 500-600 watts. I have 250 watts now, which seems too low for the hardware it's already powering, let alone a new video card. The only power supplies I've found were 400 watts and below.

The last PSU I bought...the fans and motherboard light came on, but the standby light didn't and the computer did absolutely nothing from there. ;

Due to small complications with my bank not matching my shipping address, I'd like to do eBay if possible...but I can work around it if I have to.
    "Average? Hideki is average sized!" - Chi
    "Chi, you don't have to learn that!!!" - Hideki

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aidynmaster View Post

Due to small complications with my bank not matching my shipping address, I'd like to do eBay if possible...but I can work around it if I have to.
    I had to take care of a similar problem when I tried to buy stuff from newegg. Just call your bank and have them update the address attached to your ATM card.

And personally, I recommend investing in a good power supply, because chances are you will be able to reuse them on many PCs in the future, if you buy a good enough one.

And you can often check sites for whatever video card you are looking for, and it gives a list of compatible PSUs that will work on any given GPU. Check the manufacturer websites.

And I just looked up the specs on your machine, and I see a problem:

Dimensions
    Product Form Factor: Tower
    Width: 7 in
    Height: 15.3 in
    Depth: 16.9 in
    Weight: 9.7 lbs

You probably won't be able to fit a medium to high end video card in this tower, because they are exceptionally large. It would be possible maybe with some case modifications (dremel tool).

Be sure to do some measuring and see how much room you have inside before you try to fit a 10.5-11+ inch video card in there that takes up 2 slots. I doubt you would fit a radeon 6950 or a GTX 560 in there without some case modding.

You should be able to find a Radeon 6XXX series card for well under $200 that might fit in your case. For much less than $200 you wont get much of an upgrade over what you already have. When I upgrade something, I wait until I can at least double it for the same price as I paid for the previous one, usually takes about 3 years.
    Last edited by crimsonedge; 22nd-July-2011 at 23:56.

Thanks
    EP Points

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817159082

That one would probably be a damn decent one. It has support for SLI and its a 650 watt. Just in case you were wondering the only real thing you have to look for in a PSU is the wattage, size (in this case what kind of computer casing it will fit into i.e. ATX, Micro ATX etc..), and how many power connectors it has (i.e. 12v rails, pci-e connectors, sata connectors).
    The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

- James Oliver Rigney Jr. aka Robert Jordan (God rest his Soul.) 10-17-1948 to 09-16-2007

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by aidynmaster View Post
    The last PSU I bought...the fans and motherboard light came on, but the standby light didn't and the computer did absolutely nothing from there. ;
    It didn't work out-of-the-box? try removing your Video Card and then try, should boot. You could have a short circuit on your GFX card if a capacitor is blown or something...
    Darn username I in 2008... Stuck with it until Sony decides to allow us to change usernames...