View Poll Results: What console should I port my game engine to?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Playstation 1

0 0%
  • Playstation 2

5 41.67%
  • Nintendo DS

0 0%
  • Nintendo 64

2 16.67%
  • Nintendo Gamecube

1 8.33%
  • SEGA Dreamcast

3 25.00%
  • Android

1 8.33%
  • iTouch/iPhone

0 0%

Thread: 3D Game engine

Thanks
    EP Points

Default 3D Game engine

Hey everyone. I have been writing this managed 3D game engine for PSP. It's written in C++ (only C on PSP >.< but I managed to sneak classes in mu modules), with the standard sony graphics unit (sceGu), and it supports bgm and network connectivity. In the near future, I'll surely add some features (see CODE block A).

The reason for my post is because I am aiming for a cross-platform engine, and I was wondering what console I should port this to?
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. The engine itself will also be ported to PC, as the PSP SDK is essentially in OpenGL2.0... The roadblock I'm trying to pass is a way to display an OpenGL window on multiple Operating Systems (can test on WinXP/Win7, and also on Debian6/Backtrack4, need testers for MacOS (in a couple months/years)

BLOCK A Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links.
    Last edited by SsJVasto; 20th-July-2011 at 14:46. Reason: Added Features
    Darn username I in 2008... Stuck with it until Sony decides to allow us to change usernames...

Thanks

Dude, if i, i swear to you that i will choose PlayStation 2

And this is a PS2 DevKit if still i have it:
    http://web.archive.org/web/200904170....org/ps2/Tools
    Last edited by Inferno.; 26th-July-2011 at 21:22.
    Who i am ?
    I am your worst nightmare ever has been happening to you.

Thanks

I would simply love to see you port to Nintendo 64, and then send me a rom of it,

Thanks
    EP Points

I would prefer if you put in on Dreamcast.
    Why? So you don't need to risk opening it up, just pop in the burned CD and play.

Thanks
    EP Points

While PS2 would be cool, you would be able to get more use if you ported it to either Android or the iOS system. I don't know the specifics of them, but more people would be able to utilize the engine since it would be for a current platform. You would also be able to get official dev libraries and such.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mupen64 Man View Post
    I would simply love to see you port to Nintendo 64, and then send me a rom of it,
    The engine is a Game Engine... It's to make game development and cross-platform programming easier... For you to get a ROM, I'd need to finish the Engine, and then write a game for it, and compile for N64... I was planning in future, but the engine must be done first...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    I would prefer if you put in on Dreamcast.
    Why? So you don't need to risk opening it up, just pop in the burned CD and play.
    The dreamcast already runs burned CD's... I bought mine and popped Utopia in it and it booted... Dreamcast models A and B load CD-R, but I hear models C don't... Best of luck if you have revision C...
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    While PS2 would be cool, you would be able to get more use if you ported it to either Android or the iOS system. I don't know the specifics of them, but more people would be able to utilize the engine since it would be for a current platform. You would also be able to get official dev libraries and such.
    I agree with you, but the thing I'm trying to accomplish here is to have high-end graphics on past consoles... What I mean is like:
    A PS2 has a network card, a Dreamcast has a network adapter, the Gamecube has one, and so does your PSP and PC... Why can't I have a game that's identical (except the controls) on each platform, that would allow cross-platform gaming... I'm gaming on my PSP, and members of my party are on PS2 and Dreamcast... That'd be cool! A way to keep making fresh games for our old consoles, and also have compatibility with newwer consoles...
    Darn username I in 2008... Stuck with it until Sony decides to allow us to change usernames...

Thanks
    EP Points

Why would I say port it to DC if I didn't have one?
    Revision A i think.

Thanks
    EP Points

XBOX might be worth considering as well as a lot of people still use theirs for homebrew. Like there are people using a version of Doom on XBOX over the internet for multiplayer. There's probably also still a load of people using XLink Kai to play their XBOXes online through system link via the internet.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    XBOX might be worth considering as well as a lot of people still use theirs for homebrew. Like there are people using a version of Doom on XBOX over the internet for multiplayer. There's probably also still a load of people using XLink Kai to play their XBOXes online through system link via the internet.
    Wow, I completely forgot about Xbox... Yeah, I can xhack it out too, but if it's SDK isn't C-style or doesn't support OpenGL (it probably runs DirectX...) then it could be complicated... Anyone have a link to XboxSDK so I can look it over?

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk