Thread: How do I know if I accidentally download a file with a keylogger?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default How do I know if I accidentally download a file with a keylogger?

How do I know if I accidentally download a file with a keylogger? because there are some small size uploads in the log and its eating our 15 GB limit downloads per month.

Thanks
    EP Points

Virus scan?

Thanks
    EP Points

Check the firewall log for the small uploads, look if they share the same IP and do a "whois"; maybe it's just a windows/acrobat/antivirus/games auto update check.

Also:

Use something like HijackThis a free utility by trend micro (www.trendmicro.com)

It scan your computer area and report you windows boot log, what you've in memory etc. Then you can disable unwanted programs.

You can also try the old ctrl+alt+del and call the task manager, locate suspicious entry, (do a Google search), and terminate them.

Look your Win/Administrator tools if you need to enable/disable services.

Edit the host file, changing "bad" IPs as yours.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Which PC anti Virus do you recommend?

Which PC anti Virus do you recommend?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by countphantom View Post
    Please, don't create a new thread every time you have a new question if they all are related.

Threads merged.

Thanks
    EP Points

Avast! and Avira are the best free antivirus programs as far as I'm concerned.

Supreme Warrior Guest

If Recommend AVG Free 11 and Comodo Free Firewall, Peerblock is also a must have.

Thanks

AVG is really good, Ive been using it for years. I actually got the full version with all the bells and whistles. Its got a registry cleaner, as well as a program to defrag your hard drive.

I clean the registry once a week, and defrag once a month. Defrag takes a very long time to do if you have never ran one and have a HDD larger than 250GBs. But if your PC is running slow and takes 2-5 minutes to boot up, cleaning the registry and defrag will usually make it run like new. Last defrag I did took almost 14 hours.

I typically run Ad-Aware smart scan once per day, it gets most anything I would run into, and if I get something Ad-Aware can't take care of then I got AVG. It takes a long time to run a full system virus scan, usually about 3-4 hours so I only resort to that if I have to. Ad-Aware smart scan takes less than 20 minutes, and it will get 99% of anything you would run into.

I use Ad-Aware and AVG and it is all I need to keep my PC clean.

Thanks

AVG is really good, Ive been using it for years. I actually got the full version with all the bells and whistles. Its got a registry cleaner, as well as a program to defrag your hard drive.

I clean the registry once a week, and defrag once a month. Defrag takes a very long time to do if you have never ran one and have a HDD larger than 250GBs. But if your PC is running slow and takes 2-5 minutes to boot up, cleaning the registry and defrag will usually make it run like new. Last defrag I did took almost 14 hours.

I typically run Ad-Aware smart scan once per day, it gets most anything I would run into, and if I get something Ad-Aware can't take care of then I got AVG. It takes a long time to run a full system virus scan, usually about 3-4 hours so I only resort to that if I have to. Ad-Aware smart scan takes less than 20 minutes, and it will get 99% of anything you would run into.

All this is just basic computer maintenance, just like changing the oil in your car, if you don't do it then your PC will end up running like shit after awhile. If you stay on top of it then it will run as good as new.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by countphantom View Post
    You could always get the AVG free edition. You just have to download the trial version install then uninstall and you will receive a prompt that asks if you want to convert to the free edition.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonedge View Post

All this is just basic computer maintenance, just like changing the oil in your car, if you don't do it then your PC will end up running like shit after awhile. If you stay on top of it then it will run as good as new.
    I generally use Spybot search and destroy myself.
    Last edited by lordrand11; 2nd-August-2011 at 18:31.
    The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

- James Oliver Rigney Jr. aka Robert Jordan (God rest his Soul.) 10-17-1948 to 09-16-2007