Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Some original xbox queries

Thanks
    EP Points

I had a TERRIBLE third party PS2 controller that had USB and XBOX ports on it as well as the Playstation port. It would've been cool had it not been so horribly designed.

Also you PS2 fan boys will be shocked when you see how much better most Xbox ports of multiplatform games are compared to the PS2 versions.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    I had a TERRIBLE third party PS2 controller that had USB and XBOX ports on it as well as the Playstation port. It would've been cool had it not been so horribly designed.

Also you PS2 fan boys will be shocked when you see how much better most Xbox ports of multiplatform games are compared to the PS2 versions.
    Yeah man, there are some BRUTAL 3rd party controllers out there. A friend of my brother bought one, it actually hurt to use it...

All I know is I prefer the DC versions of Shenmue 2 and Code Veronica. Old PS2 games look like trash. I haven't looked at side-by-side comparisons but for the most part I'm not into that many multi-platform games (sports games excluded). Original Xbox has like 3 good exclusives.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Yeah man, there are some BRUTAL 3rd party controllers out there. A friend of my brother bought one, it actually hurt to use it...

All I know is I prefer the DC versions of Shenmue 2 and Code Veronica. Old PS2 games look like trash. I haven't looked at side-by-side comparisons but for the most part I'm not into that many multi-platform games (sports games excluded). Original Xbox has like 3 good exclusives.
    That isn't true, don't make me list them...

Unless we're talking exclusives that aren't on PC too, then it probably does only have 3 good ones.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Depends what you classify as a good game. And I'll give you games also on PC that were put out by microsoft or were made with the Xbox as the focus. Games like Morrowind don't count. This is definitely a grey area.

I'd like to see your list, if you wouldn't mind.

Thanks
    EP Points

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (Maybe 2 as well but I've never personally played it.)
    Fable (I know you already said you think it sucks )
    Project Gotham Racing 2
    Forza Motorsport
    Oddworld Stranger's Wrath
    Thief: Deadly Shadows
    Halo (The only good one in my books.)

Umm umm umm... Loads and loads. I absolutely loved the original XBOX, probably my favourite console of last gen to be fair.

And then there's loads of games people recommend like Black, Urban Chaos: Riot Response and Psychonauts, etc.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Black is multi-platform though.

Quote Originally Posted by inferno
    Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (Maybe 2 as well but I've never personally played it.) Yes
    Fable (I know you already said you think it sucks ) No
    Project Gotham Racing 2 It's racing meh.
    Forza Motorsport Ditto
    Oddworld Stranger's Wrath Yes
    Thief: Deadly Shadows Haven't heard of it, sounds interesting!
    Halo (The only good one in my books.) Eww
    Agreed on Psychonauts as well. Weighing the xbox against other consoles it doesn't stack up. I'd make a list for PS2 but it would push the character limit.

Thanks

Hi guys, got unleashx on it. lol

I wanted to try the games so bad so just done the install using a usb pen and with the original 10gig drive in it. But I think I may have missed a few options, because after reading the guides it says not to hit "y" or "n" for yes/no, and I did that a few times, and was getting frustrated and didnt want to do it over again and have to reboot it and swap out again because it also took about 5-10 mins for it to get to slax desktop and it wouldnt pick up my hard disk a few times, so I went slightly of course to following the guide(although maybe I didnt and thats is the point of this post).. it gave me an error when it had to perform the 3 steps after running Ndure script(think they are backup steps). The giude said it should finish and check structures, but mine gave me an error saying Ndure script had an eror or something.. But it worked none the less and it boots to Unleashx. And I can play the backups.

The first thing I've noticed is the fan gets really loud when booted up ... everything is nice and quiet at boot, but the moment the black xbox/microsoft screen flicks to Unleashx logo screen the fan suddenly goes very loud, and the ring of light goes from green to flashing all different colours, seems to only do this when booted up after an hour or two because if I turn it off to try a different game(no damn reset button) it is a solid orange ring, and stays like this even when playing games.... dare I say, is this normal? .. the fan is really loud by the way.

Before I did this softmod the xbox booted ok and was nice and quiet/normal in the original dash. And the xbox was not open before as it had all the stickers intact. Although it was bogging insde the xbox when I opened it, so I took it all apart and give it a good clean, and I cant remember but I think it still booted ok after the whole cleaning thing too... so I'm hoping the sioftmod is to blame.

But my real worry is that I havent got a backup of the needed files on the hard drive.. is it possible I have erased them?, because I think I may have choosen the option to install to C drive and doesnt that erase everything and install a fake bios or something?.. so is this locked down to this hard drive?.. And I have to now hope the hard drive doesnt crap out on me?.. OR can I get the eeprom and whatever else off of it somehow so I can still install a bigger drive later?

Hope you guys understand that. It is a bit confusing. Hope I haven't rushed into things
    Last edited by Constipated Rat; 15th-July-2011 at 23:42.

Thanks
    EP Points

Fan speeds and lights of the ring etc can all be changed under the dash, or at least I know they can be in XBMC not sure about UnleashX. You can install XBMC as an app and go mess around with the settings then go back to UnleashX I think though?

You can still do an eeprom backup, C drive backup etc. Download the Auto Installer Deluxe disc, they're all over the internet. Once you have that burn it to a DVD+R and pop it into your XBOX, there's loads of programs on there that'll put your mind at ease. Like loads of backup tools. Once you've backed up your C drive/eeprom use FTP to put the eeprom.bin onto your computer and there you go, your XBOX is indestructible.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno. For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank christ!! lol.. I always do everything on a wing and a prayer when I get that feeling I "half" know what I'm doing.

Just to clarify one more thing for me, I know you stated above what I should backup, but what exaclty do I need file wise?.. what is the most inportant, just the eeprom?.. is the C drive backup just to save time in rebuilding or recouping your files again, like game saves etc...?.. or is that very important, and what about the other partitons like E?

So do I just need MY unqiue eeprom for me to switch out and install a newer hard drive?. Or is all that other stuff necessary?.. or can the rest of the crap be got of the net or something should I loss it.. or is that stuff unqiue to my setup also?
    Last edited by Constipated Rat; 15th-July-2011 at 23:56.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Constipated Rat View Post
    Thank christ!! lol.. I always do everything on a wing and a prayer when I get that feeling I "half" know what I'm doing.

Just to clarify one more thing for me, I know you stated above what I should backup, but what exaclty do I need file wise?.. what is the most inportant, just the eeprom?.. is the C drive backup just to save time in rebuilding or recouping your files again, like game saves etc...?.. or is that very important, and what about the other partitons like E?

So do I just need MY unqiue eeprom for me to switch out and install a newer hard drive?. Or is all that other stuff necessary?.. or can the rest of the crap be got of the net or something.. is that stuff unqiue to my setup also?
    Eeprom is all you need to recover an XBOX, but if you probably should backup your whole C partition as that's where all your important files are (dashboard, softmod etc.)

E drive contains save data (TDATA and UDATA folders) and your installed games etc. Just do a C drive backup and an EEPROM backup and you'll be good.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno. For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for all the help Inferno

You and the guys have been great. got things done. Saving me being lost in the noob swarm at them dedicated forums lol.