Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast

Thread: OnLive: Tomorrow's Gaming Today (Discussion, Links and News)

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    The internet connection complaint is like saying that WoW sucks because "what if you don't have internet". The whole point of OnLive is that you have an internet connection to stream games with.

And while it's not crystal clear 1080p quality, it's not low-res at all. Example: FEAR3 screenshots I posted in here a while ago.
    I always chuckle at the console fanboys who are afraid of the future.

Thanks

I got an upgrade to my connection to four megs and a half and Onlive says it's not good enough, I'm using a wired connection and the FAQ states that 2MB are enough.

Welp, I think I'll never see that thing working here.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Fer! View Post
    I got an upgrade to my connection to four megs and a half and Onlive says it's not good enough, I'm using a wired connection and the FAQ states that 2MB are enough.

Welp, I think I'll never see that thing working here.
    Did you reset the router/modem before you tried OnLive? After I got my upgrade, I had to turn the router and modem off for 30 seconds, and restart them. They incorrectly reported the speed until I did that.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Okay, the package I get from my ISP is 10MB/s on paper, but I almost never DL at more than 1.2 MB/s. Which number would effect this? The adverised cap or the actual DL speed? upload is ~768KB/s.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by skullpoker View Post
    Okay, the package I get from my ISP is 10MB/s on paper, but I almost never DL at more than 1.2 MB/s. Which number would effect this? The adverised cap or the actual DL speed? upload is ~768KB/s.
    Your actual speed is the number that is important. If your connection is really suffering that much slowdown, you might want to check all your hardware, and maybe call your ISP.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

This service really seems awesome to me. My only gripe is that I can't download while playing games, which is usually how I pass that time. I see this having great potential though. Also, it looks like I can finally use it now! Woot!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    Your actual speed is the number that is important. If your connection is really suffering that much slowdown, you might want to check all your hardware, and maybe call your ISP.
    Nobody on this ISP gets great speeds. A guy down the road 2 miles gets about half my DL speed. I had heard that this sort of connection lists the Max available, and all subscribers get a portion of that based on how many subscribers are active at a given time. Then again, it's probably hardware since I get 1.2MB/s at any given time of day, depending on the source. ISP Paulbunyannet sucks hard. My bro was on Qwest(up to 7MB) which he had to jump through hoops and pay a couple hundred bucks to get hooked up, and now switched to Midconet Xstream. Midcontinent has always been even crappier than PBnet, with hourly D/C's at times, so we'll see how he likes it. Advertised Xstream speeds of 20MB/s. I highly doubt it is anywhere near that fast.

Not only hourly D/C, but a couple times a month you would lose service for 12 hours or more. Midcontinent will not get my business without absolutely rave reviews from my Bro. Basically, REALLY HARD to get a fast connection in this town.
    Last edited by skullpoker; 15th-August-2011 at 22:24.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks
    EP Points

For quite some time, we have been awaiting word on exactly when OnLive would be coming to mobile devices. The OnLive viewer app has been available, but what gamers are really anxious for is the OnLive Player app. This application promises gamers the ability to play games as complex, and F.E.A.R. 3, Batman Arkham City, Duke Nukem Forever, and much more, on a simple smartphone or tablet running Android or iOS.
    In the podcast interview of Steve Perlman by IGN, one of the interviewers said to Perlman, “You mentioned mobile, which is obviously one of the most exciting things you guys showed at E3 this year. You showed the new OnLive Player app, which hasn’t been released yet, if I’m correct.”

Perlman responded, “It’s just about coming out, yes, yes.”

While he didn’t say when it would be released, the way he answered the question was as if we could expect it anytime now. Perlman went on to say, “It’s (OnLive mobile app) working, people are using it, it’s in beta and people love it.”
    promises gamers the ability to play games as complex, and F.E.A.R. 3, Batman Arkham City, Duke Nukem Forever, and much more, on a simple smartphone or tablet

Thanks
    EP Points

$5 Friday
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    EP Points

http://moonbooks.net/blog/featured/m...ve-giveaway-1/

OnLive Giveaway at The Moon Books Project!
    We at Moon Books have been really digging the OnLive service and have in our possession a few codes to give away to our readers. So if you want a code, all you have to do is post a comment. We have a code for one OnLive Microconsole and Darksiders, and a code for one OnLive Microconsole or any full playpass. The only catch is that you have to use the code by 8/22/2011 (11:59 PM PDT) so be sure to use em quickly.

When posting a comment let us know what you think of the concept of Cloud Gaming and which code you would like and we will choose winners ASAP.
    Go get a free microconsole, free Darksiders + microconsole, or a free full game!

Thanks

Tried both OnLive and Gaikai, they both work, but they are nothing compared to owning and playing the game on your system. (50Mbps connection)

OnLive
    http://bit.ly/nz2LWs

Gaikai (framerate is worse 'cause of Camtasia recording)
    http://bit.ly/oBIZyN

Thanks
    EP Points

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Releases Tomorrow for OnLive

For those that would like to pre-order, there are some pretty sweet deals still available for you. There are 2 Pre-order options still available for Deus Ex: Human Revolution on the OnLive service. As long as your purchase is complete by tomorrow morning (August 23) at 12:00 AM PDT, you are eligible:

Pre-Order Offer #1: If you pre-order Deux Ex: Human Revolution (Standard Edition), you will save $5.00 off the normal price of $49.99. In addition, you will receive a free copy of Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition. This is a $60 value for only $44.99.
    Pre-Order Offer #2: If you pre-order Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition (Digital), you will save $6.00 off the normal price of $59.99. You will also receive a free OnLive Game System (OnLive MicroConsole, Wireless Controller and TV hookups). This is a $170 value for only $53.99

The difference between the standard edition, and the augmented edition is that the augmented edition includes:

44-minute making-of video
    Motion comic book and art book
    Game soundtrack
    E3 Trailer and animated storyboard

You can still take OnLive up on these two great offers at OnLive.com.

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    EP Points

I just paired my Bluetooth headset from my phone to the OnLive Microconsole a couple days ago. Now it will serve a purpose

OnLive Launches Group Voice Chat Beta – Video Chat Will Come Later
    By: Ed Krassenstein

OnLive Launches Group Voice Chat Beta. We talk to OnLive Founder and CEO Steve Perlman about this latest feature.

OnLive Voice Group Chat Beta

Today, while OnLive made several rather large announcements, probably the most exciting for current and potential OnLive gamers is the addition of Group Chat. OnLive previously had In-game Chat, as well as Spectator Chat, which allowed gamers to talk to each other while either playing multiplayer games, or while spectating each other play.

However, today’s release of Group Voice Chat Beta brings a whole new element to Onlive.

OnLive VP of Engineering, Joe Bentley introduced the new feature by stating:

“OnLive gaming is a uniquely social experience—and it just got a lot easier to make the most out of those social features. OnLive has had two types of voice chat: Game Chat (for multiplayer sessions) and Spectator Chat (for chatting while watching someone play a game). Today we’ve added a third: Group Chat (for voice chatting with anyone, no matter what they are doing).”

“Here’s how it works: Let’s say you have 10 college buddies you like to play multiplayer games with. Now, you can create a group for them on the service that will persist from session to session. Instead of trying to track them down individually, now you can jump into a group voice chat no matter what they’re doing on the service. Voice chat while they’re playing a game, spectating others or just browsing the Marketplace … and if they’re not signed into OnLive, you can invite them to join you via integrated email notifications.”

“Make one group for folks you meet on the service who play a certain multiplayer game. Make another for friends you just want to hang with when you find a great game to spectate. It’s all about easily connecting—and yakking it up—with the gamers of your choice and making the most of your gameplay time. Of course, as always, OnLive voice chat works across all platforms and worldwide, so whether your friends are using a TV, PC, Mac or are across the pond when the UK service goes live in a month, OnLive voice chat just works.”

Group Voice chat is an element that many OnLive members had been requesting, and it’s something we expected to eventually see in the future. We just didn’t expect it to be released so soon.

We had an opportunity to speak with OnLive Founder and CEO, Steve Perlman about the addition of Group Voice Chat to the cloud video gaming service. He explained some of the features of this new option that he likes best.

“The nice thing about it is that you can invite people (to chat) through email if you want to,” said Perlman. “You [can] go and say, ‘hey guys, I’m ready to play some Borderlands,’ and they’ll actually get a notification.”

Finding friends to voice chat with on OnLive previously could become quite a task. It was a matter of finding out which friends were currently on the service, then tracking them down in order to chat with them. Now with this new feature, members can chat with any of their friends no matter what they are currently doing on the OnLive service. If their friends aren’t on the service at the moment, they can send them a notification via email, requesting that they join them.

So, the question arises: “How many people can be in a voice chat group at any certain time?” We asked Perlman just this.

“There is what we call a soft limit of 50 in one room. It begins to get unwieldy, just in terms of managing a group, if you have that many people talking,” explained Perlman. “We’ll let it bubble above that, but if some reason someone really wants to create a group of 100, then we will at some point say, ‘no more.’”

Just imagining having a group chat with 50 people in it, makes us cringe, so it’s possible that we will see this limit decreased at some point, if the general flow of conversations become too hectic. Gamers will have the ability to control this as well. If they see that having a group of 50 people makes voice chat too confusing, they can simply remove members from the group.

There doesn’t seem to be a limited, that will be imposed, as far as how many different voice chat groups a user can create. While Perlman could not confirm that there is no limit, he basically inferred that there won’t be one unless users abuse the feature.

With all of the grounds now covered, as far as voice chat goes on OnLive, the next obvious step would be integration of video chat into the service. We have heard rumors and seen prototypes of video chat on the service, but have not actually been told it was coming. That is until now. We asked Perlman if this is a feature that we will see on the service eventually.

He responded, “We will do it (video chat). The technology exists. If anyone has ever seen the Columbia presentation I gave on an invention, I actually show some of our initial prototypes, where we have video chat actually running. The video chat bed is a whole suite of things that would need to be done to make it work. If you are running on a laptop or a monitor that has a camera, it works just fine, but if you are on a TV, then you get into a situation where we have to go and start saying, ‘what cameras does the MicroConsole support? Should we work with some of the TV makers?’ It’s a little more involved than voice chat is, as you can imagine.”

Perlman noted that OnLive has a lot of features that they are working on, but they must decide which features get priority. He also said that the latest OnLive Update (that went out yesterday and today) includes many new features that are not complete as of yet. These features will not be turned on until they are ready to go.

Another interesting thing that Perlman talked about, concerning voice chat on OnLive, is that it will be available over multiple platforms, whether a PC, Mac, TV, or Tablet. It will also be available across nation’s borders. Gamers in the US will be able to take part in voice chat with gamers in the UK. Perlman actually said that he hopes that US gamers take the opportunity to welcome the UK gamers when the service launches overseas on September 22. He said that he hopes that the current US gamers show the gamers from the United Kingdom the features and ropes of OnLive.

So, what do you think about the new Group Voice Chat feature that has been launched for OnLive today? Will you be using it? Which aspects of it do you like, and which are you not so fond of? Are you looking forward to seeing video chat in the future? Let us know at OnLiveFans.com Forum

Thanks
    EP Points

OnLive Achievements Can Now be Shared to Facebook – Could YouTube & Twitter Integration Come Soon?
    By: Ed Krassenstein

OnLive Achievements can now be shared with friends on Facebook. We ask OnLive Founder and CEO Steve Perlman if we will see Youtube and Twitter integration in the future as well.

OnLive Facebook Integration for AchievementsOnLive announced today that they have integrated Facebook sharing of Achievements and Achievement Brag Clips. This is something that will continue to move OnLive into the social gaming world.

Previously there has been the ability to post OnLive Brag Clips to your Facebook profile, once your OnLive account has been configured to do so. This allowed gamers to show all their friends 10-second Brag Clips that they had recorded. Now with the integration of Achievements into Facebook, gamers can share their gaming skills with their friends as well. On top of this, if the specific games have Achievement Brag Clips configured for them, a 10-second brag clip of the Achievement can also be shared to Facebook.

While 10-second brag clips are not all that long in length, they can usually be efficient in recording both Achievements, as well gamers’ unbelieveable skills. However, we asked OnLive Founder and CEO Steve Perlman about the possibility of having extended Brag Clips, that can be longer than 10-seconds in length.

“I think we have some other cool features, that I’m not going to say, that I think you are going to enjoy more, before we get there (allowing longer brag clips),” responded Perlman. “Again, [longer brag clips] are part of the triage list of things that we could do theoretically, but with the resources we have, we think that there are other things that people would want more.”

It appears as though OnLive will eventually extend the brag clip time limit, but not until they can get other important features integrated into the cloud gaming service. Some of these will be “cool features” that we are going to “really enjoy”. What will they be? We will have to wait to find out.

While Facebook integration has been key to helping spread the word of OnLive to the masses, many gamers have been requesting that OnLive also integrate itself into other social services such as Twitter and YouTube. We also asked Perlman about this possibility.

“We will be getting into these other social services,” said Perlman. “We don’t have any agenda not to. We will be doing those (other social services), we’d love to do those. You notice that when you do the post feed, it gives you two choice; either OnLive or Facebook for posting Brag Clips. There will be more choices. Again, we haven’t had a chance to implement all those things yet.”

So while, we can probably expect to see further social integration with services such as Twitter, Youtube, and even Google Plus in the future, there is no timetable for when the integration will take place. OnLive has a lot of bigger things on their horizon, including European expansion and Tablet integration.