Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: OnLive: Tomorrow's Gaming Today (Discussion, Links and News)

Thanks
    EP Points

Today, OnLive added three news games to their cloud video game service. The headliner of the day was the addition of ‘LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean’, but two more games were added to the $9.99/month OnLive PlayPack as well.

LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean, a game that was release by Disney Interactive Studios for Xbox 360, Wii, PSP, PS3, NDS, and 3DS in May of 2011 is now available for $49.99. Disney Interactive and OnLive told us earlier this year that they will be bringing a bunch of Disney games to the service.

The other two games that were introduced to OnLive today were ‘Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords’ and ‘Conflict: Denied Ops’. Both games were added to the PlayPack, and can currently only be accessed by PlayPack members. The OnLive PlayPack is a subscription service that costs $9.99/month for access to, now, 70 different games. This number is continuously growing.

Conflict: Denied Ops is the fifth game in the ‘Conflict” series, and was released back in February of 2008 for other systems. Players play as one of two characters. They can either be Lincoln Graves, a sniper with an SR-25, or Reggie Lang who uses a machine gun. Even though the game has been out for over 3 years, it is still something that PlayPack subscribers will welcome with opened arms.

‘Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords’ is an addicting puzzle game that has been out for other systems since 2007. If you like games such as Bejeweled or Tetris, you should love this one.
    Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords is a great match-3 puzzle game

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords is an awesome great match-3 puzzle game

Thanks
    EP Points

This actually sounds pretty cool

OnLive May Come Pre-installed on PCs & Boot Up Without an Operating System Needed

Over the past week, we’ve been getting a glimpse of what OnLive will look like in the future. We know that OnLive is set to be on 25 million TV and 50 million Blu-ray players / set-top boxes by the end of 2011. We also know that it will be made available on smartphones and tablets through the download of an App.

This begged us to ask OnLive Founder and CEO, Steve Perlman whether he had plans to ship OnLive pre-installed on new computers.

“Some PC makers have come to us to talk about that, and because we have our NDA’s with them, we can’t go and disclose any details, “explained Perlman. “What you are describing is a pretty easy thing for us to do.”

There doesn’t seem to be any reason why PC makers would be opposed to the idea, and certainly there is nothing holding OnLive back. It would easily make the service available to hundreds of million gamers worldwide, as soon as they buy a new computer.

Perlman also explained what appears to be some future plans with PC makers.

“Another thing that is a variant on that is we can make OnLive work before the PC really boots up. I think you’ve seen that some PCs can play a DVD or something like that before it boots up. People have spoken to us about that as well.”

This begs us to wonder what OnLive plans to do with this feature. A computer, that with the press of a button, will sign you into the OnLive service? When signed in you would have access to an extremely fast web browser along with virtually any game of your choice. While Perlman obviously appears to have plans for something like this, it’ll probably be a little while before we see these plans materialize.

“The schedule for when these things role out has a lot of things that figure into it,” said Perlman. “It’s the manufacturers’ schedule of what they want to do when their products are coming out, and frankly we have to triage what projects we take on.”

We asked Perlman to describe in a little more detail how a system like this would be utilized. Here is what he said:

“You are used to the instant turn on with something like a tablet or a phone. Imagine if you hit the power button on your PC, and then you just immediately connect.

Even if you have a browser running on a PC, you have to boot an operating system, but the OnLive client that runs on your PC doesn’t rely on an operating system. It doesn’t rely on Windows, Linux, or Java or Flash. There’s really no underlying code. It just has a stand alone, self sustaining piece of code, which is why it is easy for us to port it to things like the OnLive MicroConsole or Blu-Ray players and TVs. A lot of TVs that we will be running on, there is no OS per say.

In the case of a PC booting up, the Intel or AMD processor on it would begin executing OnLive. The beauty of OnLive is that there is no operating system needed in the local device, there’s only an operating system needed in the cloud.”

Since there is no operating system required to run OnLive, it can basically run quite easily on just about anything, with only a few exceptions.

Thanks
    EP Points

$5 Friday
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    EP Points

Today only

Thanks
    EP Points

Two new games added to the Playpack Bundle today:

Advent Rising
    Night at the Museum 2 : Battle at the Smithsonian

Not very exciting news, but news nonetheless

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Rofl I Just noticed i got an onlive key for 2 indie games

Wait make that 3

Braid, World of Goo and Trine
    Last edited by Kouen Hasuki; 27th-July-2011 at 12:39.

Thanks
    EP Points

I tried it a few days ago, maybe it's just my shitty setup but the graphics were awful for me, but aside from that I was impressed by Onlive.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Tassadar View Post
    I tried it a few days ago, maybe it's just my shitty setup but the graphics were awful for me, but aside from that I was impressed by Onlive.
    Occasionally I get some graphical problems, but overall I've had good luck. Growing pains

the service, not me

Thanks
    EP Points

OnLive is Offering a ‘Saints Row: The Third’ Pre-Order Special

OnLive and THQ are have gotten together for yet another incredible pre-order special. Anyone who pre-orders “Saints Row: The Third” prior to August 25 at 9:00 PM PDT will receive a large bonus. This bonus includes the following:

- A free OnLive Game System OR Full Playpass that may be redeemed for any OnLive game (other than PlayPack titles).
    - Professor Genki’s Hyper Ordinary Pack including:
    * A Leisure Stunt Suit.
    * Super Ballistic Man-A-Pult
    * ‘Octopuss’ Weapon

These seems like some strange gifts, but you don’t get a real man-a-pult. It will be an additional Add-On pack for the game.

The free OnLive Game System or Full PlayPass offer is valid until August 25, but the “Professor Genki’s Hyper Ordinary Pack” is available for those who pre-order the game prior to November 14, at 9:00 PM PT.

The pre-order price for “Saints Row: The Third” is $49.99, and the game is set to be released on November 15, 2011. It will feature both single and multiplayer modes, and will be available for use with either the OnLive gamepad or a keyboard and mouse combination.

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks
    EP Points

$5 Friday

Thanks

after watching gares prince of persia lp i really wanted to try onlive as well but my connection isnt good enough. the concept is very interesting though.

Thanks
    EP Points

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings was announced by OnLive at E3 to be ”coming soon”. Ever since that announcement, the OnLive community has been building up anticipation for the arrival of the game. Some would argue that hype for the game has come to a critical mass. Undoubtedly, having The Witcher 2 playable on OnLive would be ground-breaking for the service. Not only would OnLive make The Witcher accessible on televisions via their microconsole system, but people with Macs (and soon tablets) will be able to play with zero drop in quality.

For those not familiar with the franchise, The Witcher 2 is a third-person RPG adventure with many paths, storylines, and endings. The game is currently a PC exclusive, made for a mature audience, and has been described as quite challenging. Witcher 2 is set to release for the Xbox 360 in the first part of 2012. Reviews for Witcher 2 have been glowing, including many 9/10 as well as some absolute perfect reviews.

Recently, there has been some discussion on whether or not Witcher 2 would be coming to OnLive (here and here). There is currently no release date set by OnLive, and no more information has been given since the announcement at E3. Some fans have contacted CD Projekt RED and were told by their community manager, Marcin Momot, “We have no plans for introducing The Witcher to Onlive service at the moment.” This caused a stir among the community, which was settled by OnLive’s community manger, Matt Jensen (OnLive MJ). However, even after OnLive MJ’s interjection, there was still doubt due to some of the vagueness left on the table.

To help alleviate some of the concerns of the community, I contacted a few members of CD Projekt RED. This morning I received the following reply:

“We are planning to have Witcher 2 on Onlive in the near future though I cannot confirm when exactly would that happen. Onlive requires special prep of the game on the part of the development team, and due to our limited resources we are forced to queue tasks in our schedule. Onlive is in that line, and we will definitely get it done unless reasons I am unaware of at the moment come into play. I would not be able to share any specific date or a month with you though.
    Even though I realize this is not a perfect feedback for you, I hope this is still leaving you with crucial information, which is – we are planning to bring W2 to Onlive at some point of our dev schedule.
    All the best,
    Michal Nowakowski
    VP of Business Development”

So The Witcher 2 will be coming to the service, after all.

Thanks
    EP Points

So, people without a beast of a PC can still enjoy TW2 in all its glory. I approve. Hell, I already own the game, and I'll still probably fire up OnLive just to play it.