Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: OnLive: Tomorrow's Gaming Today (Discussion, Links and News)

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by The Worm View Post
    Now if I could afford to BUY these games, i'd be set.

I think my favorite part of this whole thing is, I can run new games on my shitty laptop.

Idk all the details on how the service works, but I assume no rendering is actually done on my side.
    It's essentially the same as streaming a video, only you control it.

No hardware requirements, no drivers, no settings. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Every friday there is a game for $5. Today's is Splinter Cell Conviction. I grabbed PoP: The Forgotten Sands last week. Not something I would pay much for, but for $5 I have a game to add to my collection, and will play if I have nothing else interesting.

Right now I have:

Trine - free (THANKS FER!)
    Darksiders - $20 (got a $100 microconsole free with purchase)
    Split Second - $20 (got a 50% off coupon with purchase)
    Mafia II - $15 (used the 50% off coupon on it)
    PoP: The Forgotten Sands - $5
    PlayPack Bundle - 99 cents with $9 off coupon code (99centppk)

I probably won't keep the PlayPack since there are a lot of games I can't play on the microconsole since they require a keyboard.
    Last edited by Sprung; 16th-July-2011 at 03:32.

Pickles is offline dagnabbit! These dad-gum kids and their new-fangled gizzy-moes!
    Thanks

A part of me is glad to see an inovative and practice use of cloud computing being put into operation, to me thus far its been as usless as transfarring.

However I'm worried that if this takes off it will hurt console gaming (I have no intention og gaming with a key board and mouse, fuck that shit) I have heard there is an onlive console but that is as much as I've heard.

Any insight into that Sprung? Or anyone else who knows about it?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Interesting concept and great for people who's PC's are old or what nots to play newer games, me ill stick to good old steam though since my computer can locally render any game i want.

Not bashing it i can see its ups but ya ill stick with ma steamz and 452 Games

Thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBAND

Brings me to back to me youth. It was a pretty cool concept then as it is now with the new kid on the block. Bigger question now is how much bandwidth 720 or above will do to someone's internet usage. All those kids who are going to be hosed due to bandwidth limits (I mean, come one, 25gb limit for the month?) This service will probably use that within the first week.

Thanks
    EP Points

Alright Sprung.
    You have me sold.
    But only because AaaaaaaaaaaAAAAaaaaaaaAH! is really fun.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    A part of me is glad to see an inovative and practice use of cloud computing being put into operation, to me thus far its been as usless as transfarring.

However I'm worried that if this takes off it will hurt console gaming (I have no intention og gaming with a key board and mouse, fuck that shit) I have heard there is an onlive console but that is as much as I've heard.

Any insight into that Sprung? Or anyone else who knows about it?
    Yes, there is a microconsole. That's how I do 99% of my OnLive gaming.
    Link to microconsole info: http://www.onlive.com/service/game-s...autoplay=force

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    Alright Sprung.
    You have me sold.
    But only because AaaaaaaaaaaAAAAaaaaaaaAH! is really fun.
    I haven't tried that yet
    Also friendship request accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nemo View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBAND

Brings me to back to me youth. It was a pretty cool concept then as it is now with the new kid on the block. Bigger question now is how much bandwidth 720 or above will do to someone's internet usage. All those kids who are going to be hosed due to bandwidth limits (I mean, come one, 25gb limit for the month?) This service will probably use that within the first week.
    Not as much as you'd think:
    July 15th, 2011
    Bandwidth Caps Are Not a Problem for OnLive, According to CEO Steve Perlman
    By: Ed Krassenstein | Comments Off | OnLive News |
    Share7
    1digg

OnLive Bandwidth CapsFrom the first day that internet service providers such as Verizon and Comcast announced that they would be implementing bandwidth caps on their users, panic began to ensue the OnLive community. OnLive, a cloud video game service would surely put users over their given caps, thus making them lose their internet capabilities, right?

Wrong, according to OnLive Founder & CEO Steve Perlman. In an interview with him (audio of the interview is at the bottom of this article), we asked him about these caps, and how they will effect OnLive’s service.

“As much as we hear about these caps in the press, there’s very few examples of people that have really run into them,” said Perlman. “There are certain very very heavy users, but most of the reason people run into bandwidth caps, is not because of OnLive. It’s usually because of more passive activities like television viewing or Netflix and things like that. So more interactive activities; playing games is pretty intense, and you’re very focused on it. People tend to do that for fewer hours than they do watching TV. Usually what happens is if somebody has a bandwidth issues, it’s not because of OnLive. In fact, there may have been 1 or 2 posts (on OnLiveFans.com) where people have run into a cap. You probably notice that it isn’t something people really report as happening.”

While this is true to a certain degree. There have been very few people that have reported going over their bandwidth caps. Even if they do, Perlman doesn’t feel it will be a major cause for concern.

“I think that the ISPs have these bandwidth caps, number 1, and they enforce them; some of them enforce them more strictly than others, but also I think some of them don’t enforce them if they see it not happening. They don’t feel like the person is really abusing their network. If they see that it’s a normal user, they are going to have normal patterns of usage, they don’t want to lose you as a customer. I think it just hasn’t come up.”

This is so true. Every user that has reported that he/she has gone over their monthly bandwidth caps, from use of OnLive has NOT lost their service. Many users have reported that they received a summary of their usage with their monthly ISP bill, in which they have blown through their cap. However, none of these users reported receiving any kind of warning, or having their internet shut off. ISPs don’t want users to abuse their service. They have to realize that with the advancement of the internet; new technologies that allow for the streaming of movies, TV shows, and video games, that they can’t limit users who aren’t abusive.

Sure, there will be some issues, but soon these issues will become mute. Perlman explained this.

“The other thing you got to realize, is that the bandwidth requirements for OnLive are actually going down because as our technology improves, the algorithm improves, our bandwidth requirements for a given resolution TV is less. ISP bandwidth keeps going up, and bandwidth caps will keep going up. In the long term, it’s not going to be something anyone even thinks about.”

Technology is continuously advancing. OnLive has continuously upgraded their algorithm. We saw this late last week when we announced that OnLive can now stream on 2 Mbps connections and higher. As ISPs realize that they need greater requirements, they will build more infrastructure, use more advanced technology, and increase their bandwidth caps.

Thanks

They don't give an actual number per hour of what is spent. That is just a fluff piece to entice you to use it if you have to worry about a Cap Limit. With youtube clips I can see how much a file takes up for ___ number of minutes and do the math. With that I can't measure it without buying into the service and finding out myself. For example, 1080 res for youtube clips can take up several hundred megabytes. 360 take about a few dozen. How much does OnLive use up?

With Xband it was a dial up modem; barely 18 kb at best. This is a thing that requires a lot more than that.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nemo View Post
    They don't give an actual number per hour of what is spent. That is just a fluff piece to entice you to use it if you have to worry about a Cap Limit. With youtube clips I can see how much a file takes up for ___ number of minutes and do the math. With that I can't measure it without buying into the service and finding out myself. For example, 1080 res for youtube clips can take up several hundred megabytes. 360 take about a few dozen. How much does OnLive use up?

With Xband it was a dial up modem; barely 18 kb at best. This is a thing that requires a lot more than that.
    I suppose if someone wanted to worry about that, this would be the perfect instance to do so.

Thanks

Well I did some quick math and if they used the full 2 Mbps, it'll use 921 MB per hour (256KBps * 60 * 60). More than likely it doesn't use the full amount, but if you play more than 10 hours a month or share the OnLive service with others to total above 10 hours a month, the other stuff you are doing online can breach that cap quickly. Quite a few Netflix users breach those data caps after watching more than 30 hours in a month with 480 resolution, let alone 720 and above.

It's only something to worry about pending your contract. It can cost as much $10 a GB beyond the 25GB cap. For those without a limit, of course it doesn't matter. My audio files from podcasts alone take up 5GB a month and those are 128KBps quality. Now add this and Netflix if I used it.

Thanks
    EP Points

I suppose it could be a problem in theory, but I have yet to read a single thing about someone getting a nasty letter or a huge bill from their ISP because of OnLive

Thanks
    EP Points

New deal:

OnLive
    Red Faction Armageddon. On sale Saturday AND Sunday! Take 33% off. You are humanity's last hope for survival! Play it now, instantly before you save!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    If OnLive goes out of business, sure, you won't be able to play the games anymore. Kinda makes sense, right?

All the games on the service have a 3 year guarantee to be there, starting from when they are introduced on OnLive. So, anyone wanting to play, should be able to finish the game long before it expires. (Well, except for me...it took me longer than that to beat GTA IV ) Additionally, if they are getting close to the time a game is set to expire, they will do an assessment of the total number of people still playing the game. If it makes sense for them to keep it on the service, they will.

I doubt OnLive will go out of business, since they have plans for making the service offer much more than just gaming. They have hinted about having a movie service (no, the government is not going to ban streaming movies), they are releasing their own web browser that uses the cloud servers to render the pages, so you can get features not available before (like Flash on an iPhone), and they have ongoing negotiations with virtually every game publisher. They expect to have 150 games by the end of the year, and over 1000 by the end of 2012.

Also, screw discs. I always hated getting up and messing with them anyway. MENU>LOAD GAME

fuck yeah
    Most games don't require a disc in the drive once you've got them installed .

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Shardnax View Post
    Most games don't require a disc in the drive once you've got them installed .
    wut

Most games DO require a disc to be in a drive. Even PC games. U MAD BRO?

Thanks
    EP Points

OnLive
    Use the code: "50OFFACB" get 50% off Assassins Creed Brotherhood! Act fast, only 30 redemptions available!
    Just checked it, still valid

Thanks
    EP Points

Enter code "SCALETTA" and get a WHOPPING 90% off Mafia 2!! Act fast though, only 30 redemptions available!