Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: OnLive: Tomorrow's Gaming Today (Discussion, Links and News)

Thanks
    EP Points

More weekend deals:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Shardnax View Post
    Why should I try new things ? Honestly, I just dislike paying for a download.
    You are fine with paying for disc games, though. And you don't download the games with OnLive.

Thanks

I've read the concept of how OnLive works and it seems like a great idea. It makes perfect sense considering how affordable bandwidth has become over the past decade, as well as the demanding rigs needed for newer games. The only thing that prevents me from buying into it is when OnLive goes out of business. Will I still be able to play those games? Right now, all I would be doing when I "buy" the games is just having a permanent renting spot to hold the games. Can you explain further om their policy? Right now this reminds me of the MMO crowd and having to lose everything you invested in when they stop supporting the game. If I stick to buying game burnt to a disc, I have the option of keeping it until it's too damaged or lost, not because someone turned off the disc.

Thanks
    EP Points

i agree with nemo, i currently have an onlive account but i only play the free trials, also the US version does support use in the UK (i use it) i should download the UK client but meh , what happens if the company goes out of business? do we get refunded? or is there some policy that they carry out
    *Computer Specs*
    Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
    Processor: AMD FX 8350 Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.1GHz
    Memory: 16GB RAM
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 8GB GDDR5

If You Find My Help Useful In Any Way Please Click Thanks.
    Bennieboi's Question Of The Day (now defunct)

Thanks
    EP Points

So I didn't read all the text that Sprung posted (sorry! ), but is this apparently available in Europe now? Because I was able to log into my account and play stuff, which is something I wasn't able to do a few weeks/months ago, it just kicked me off with a "not available in your region" message. I actually recorded myself playing through the 30-minute free trial of Forgotten Sands (with commentary ). I'll be uploading the footage soon-ish if anyone wants to see this in action.

I'm actually quite pleased with it. It ran much better than I expected. Constant 60 FPS with only minor input lag, which is something I can get used to over time. The video quality is a bit blurry compared to the 1920x1080 quality that I'm used to, but it still looks pretty damn good. So yeah, based on these 30 minutes, OnLive was a pleasant surprise for me.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    You are fine with paying for disc games, though. And you don't download the games with OnLive.
    Even worse! And of course we are fine for paying for disc games. You get a shiny disc! And a case! And a manual! And in most cases for us useless extra content! Yeah we definitely have a collector's mentality which OnLive does not play well with.

Quote Originally Posted by sprung
    I find most people that laugh at OnLive to be the same people who are the last to try out new things.
    I still don't have a cell phone. Yeah I know, I'm awesome.

@nemo and bennieboi: You'd be effed. I don't play MMOs for other reasons but yeah I see the same logic there.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I finally gave in and decided to sign up for OnLive.
    Problem is, after ive signed up now, I cant login.
    When I enter my email/pass, the page just refreshes and the email/pass fields clear.
    No error message, no "invalid email/password" message, nothing.

So...

EDIT: And when I purposefully entered an incorrect password, it tells me my credentials are incorrect.
    Last edited by Wyrm; 15th-July-2011 at 14:53.

Thanks
    EP Points

My test footage is up here, if anyone's interested. As I've said above, it worked great with minimal input lag.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    This .
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Even worse! And of course we are fine for paying for disc games. You get a shiny disc! And a case! And a manual! And in most cases for us useless extra content! Yeah we definitely have a collector's mentality which OnLive does not play well with.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

If OnLive goes out of business, sure, you won't be able to play the games anymore. Kinda makes sense, right?

All the games on the service have a 3 year guarantee to be there, starting from when they are introduced on OnLive. So, anyone wanting to play, should be able to finish the game long before it expires. (Well, except for me...it took me longer than that to beat GTA IV ) Additionally, if they are getting close to the time a game is set to expire, they will do an assessment of the total number of people still playing the game. If it makes sense for them to keep it on the service, they will.

I doubt OnLive will go out of business, since they have plans for making the service offer much more than just gaming. They have hinted about having a movie service (no, the government is not going to ban streaming movies), they are releasing their own web browser that uses the cloud servers to render the pages, so you can get features not available before (like Flash on an iPhone), and they have ongoing negotiations with virtually every game publisher. They expect to have 150 games by the end of the year, and over 1000 by the end of 2012.

Also, screw discs. I always hated getting up and messing with them anyway. MENU>LOAD GAME

fuck yeah

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sprung For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

well i was showing this off to my dad earlier, since we live in the UK and im having to download the US client hes pretty impressed with it, i was showing him battlefield 3 (i hate the game myself but a friend said to do the trial of it) if im lucky enough he's gonna sign up for the UK one when its released in the autumn, so i could be an active gamer once again soon
    *Computer Specs*
    Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
    Processor: AMD FX 8350 Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.1GHz
    Memory: 16GB RAM
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 8GB GDDR5

If You Find My Help Useful In Any Way Please Click Thanks.
    Bennieboi's Question Of The Day (now defunct)

Thanks
    EP Points

First 30 users who enter the code: "FBHMFT30" will get 30% off Homefront. Act fast! play.onlive.com/launch/trial/h​omefront

Thanks
    EP Points

OnLive
    OK, this deal will be for new subscribers only! (sorry everyone who already has the playpack!) - 1 free month of playback for the first 30 to use code: "SMFB1MOFREE"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I really don't like the idea of paying for a game and then not have it.
    When I pay for a game I like it to have all the pointless things it can come with: the disc, the manual, the box, and separate soundtrack, if possible.
    I think that's worth a lot of the percentage of the price of a game.

It took me some time to accept Steam, but at least there you just download a game, install it, play, ping! and that's all.

Here you don't even get that. I don't like it at all.

And besides, you've gotta have a pretty good internet server/speed, which I don't.
    I am Mega Man, I'm blue and cyan - the creation of Dr Light (or Right, if you're from Japan)
    Also known as Rockman

My Mega Buster can cut the mustard, I'm a flustered amputee
    POW POW!
    Eight robot bosses in eight levels dishevel and revel in devilry,
    I'll steal their weaponry!

I am also known as the "Blue Bomber"
    I could shoot the legs off Jeffrey Dahmer
    Kill a robot fish, kill a robot frog,
    and then I ride off on my robot dog...

JOIN THE SHMUP MANIACS! Arcade & home console 2D shmups!

vThanks button, down herev

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SpiralPegasus View Post
    It took me some time to accept Steam, but at least there you just download a game, install it, play, ping! and that's all.
    Now it's just "ping! and that's all".