Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Religious games and their Impact

Thanks

i notice it too, but i guess it does have a little impact, now kids play these games think when they study the bible they will gain those mofo powers- -.

games like assassin creed brother hood which has real religious belief in them makes me aware of other believe.

i think religious games can make us know more about religion that we don't even know, or pissing the crap off if the game has something offensive to a certain religion.

Thanks
    EP Points

really depends on the child and if a parent is concerned about what their child is playing they should monitor their playing habits or browsing habits more closely I played xenogears as a child do i think that means it's possible to kill God no I also went to church and read my bible as a human being I make up my own mind as to what I believe and what I don't

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ブル ーノ View Post
    i notice it too, but i guess it does have a little impact, now kids play these games think when they study the bible they will gain those mofo powers- -.

games like assassin creed brother hood which has real religious belief in them makes me aware of other believe.

i think religious games can make us know more about religion that we don't even know, or pissing the crap off if the game has something offensive to a certain religion.
    hm, i wouldn't say that games teach you about religion. more often you already have to know the religion already to be able to find it in a game.

religion, so long as it isn't being preached, can enrich a game's plot. okami, xenogears anyone?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Shardnax View Post
    It's HIGHLY unlikely that a kid would be playing unlicensed NES games.
    Never know. I owned a couple of those games, when I was big into collecting. I think I had Bible Adventure and Spiritual Warfare... in fact, you can still pick them up today.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia Article
    Wisdom Tree is still somewhat active today, selling religious video games. The company released an all-in-one "TV controller" system featuring seven of their NES games in a single, self-contained unit. More recently, they have released Heaven Bound, a more modern 3D game for the PC. These games are produced on 3D Game Studio (e.g. Joseph and Galilee Flyer), using the default models that come with the program. Super Noah's Ark is known to be a version of Wolfenstein 3D, as mentioned above. All Wisdom Tree NES games are playable through the official website in the Arcade Section via vNES, a Java-based NES emulator.[5]
    They are around, but when the NES games were being released, they were mostly sold in Christian bookstores. They weren't necessarily games designed to promote their religion, they were games made for Christians, with the idea being that the Christian community (or at least, the heavily religious Christian community) was generally against the content of most video games (as we've seen basically since the NES days, with so many religious groups blaming video games for all of life's problems). I think these were more marketed towards young Christian children, so that they could play video games and still have it be about something that mommy and daddy approved of.

This is just my theory, of course, based on where they tried to sell it. Ironically, these games were unlicensed, and Wisdom Tree was one of the first companies to bypass the Nintendo NES lockout chip.

[ edit ] Also, to the OP: I release that white text on a blue background probably makes it stand out freaking fantastic, but for those of us who use the EP Blue style, white on white/gray is very difficult to read.
    Last edited by Drageuth; 27th-June-2011 at 06:12.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well I don't see the seriousness in having a religious tone to a game if it makes sense and is only for the stories benefit. I for one like the idea it brings out in the whole light vs dark / good vs evil. Personally I notice it being used to convey the story in such a way that it makes the player feel like they are fighting for a cause, you see this method being used in quite a bit of rpg's as well for the sole fact of it being a great reason for their to be a conflict in the story. Now I don't know a lot of games that base this off a true religion other than some about the holy crusades where religion isn't really involved than a reason for a conflict.

So its not like kids playing these games would become more inclined to believe in it. As for rpg's you see the use of false religions in some final fantasies, for example it is used to create a world that unraveled in front of Tidus in such a way that we as the player were learning along side him the history and culture of a people ahead of his time and yet he could see the similarities and consistencies of his past in their life (the prayer) it also enforced the intensity of Seymour's beliefs and ideals to 'free' the people of Spira since the church gave him so much power to influence them. When it's used like this I see nothing wrong with it and I actually enjoy the creativity used to make a story so much more surreal.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    And who says games are for children?
    games are for children in the first place, cuz they are the one who get more interested in this kind of stuff ...
    besides im 19 years old and ill play until im 60 if i lived that long lol
    what i mean is young players will follow anything they see their hero doing, like religious and stuff !!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Electrona View Post
    Well I don't see the seriousness in having a religious tone to a game if it makes sense and is only for the stories benefit. I for one like the idea it brings out in the whole light vs dark / good vs evil. Personally I notice it being used to convey the story in such a way that it makes the player feel like they are fighting for a cause, you see this method being used in quite a bit of rpg's as well for the sole fact of it being a great reason for their to be a conflict in the story. Now I don't know a lot of games that base this off a true religion other than some about the holy crusades where religion isn't really involved than a reason for a conflict.

So its not like kids playing these games would become more inclined to believe in it. As for rpg's you see the use of false religions in some final fantasies, for example it is used to create a world that unraveled in front of Tidus in such a way that we as the player were learning along side him the history and culture of a people ahead of his time and yet he could see the similarities and consistencies of his past in their life (the prayer) it also enforced the intensity of Seymour's beliefs and ideals to 'free' the people of Spira since the church gave him so much power to influence them. When it's used like this I see nothing wrong with it and I actually enjoy the creativity used to make a story so much more surreal.

I agree and disagree at the same time, for example: when u watch anime or a movie and u like someone in it, ull obviously imitate ever single move even if its stupid, no matter what age u are
    cuz simply ur so into that person ... but for some reason young layer wont do that only, they will go beyond that, even at home, attitude will change and the people they know wont recognize theme anymore ....
    but, i think all this chaos in the childhood is because of this game, like bully and stuff ...

Quote Originally Posted by ブル ーノ View Post

I totally agree with u, and at the end its all depend on the game and the story,

Quote Originally Posted by Baumshlager View Post
    Here's a 'good' example of a video-game used for 'spreading the word of God' - Bibleman:A Fight For Faith

Notice the total crapiness of it.

Thats what im talking about, see what kind of ideas they put .. !!!
    Last edited by Cycona; 27th-June-2011 at 11:01. Reason: Double posting isn't allowed, please, use the EDIT button

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Cycona, multiple posting isn't allowed, please, use the EDIT button.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baumshlager View Post
    Here's a 'good' example of a video-game used for 'spreading the word of God' - Bibleman:A Fight For Faith

Notice the total crapiness of it.

Thats what im talking about, see what kind of ideas they put .. !!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I get all my religion from games.

It's why I converted to gnosticism.

The only religion that is approved by giant robots, whalemonsters, and the space pope.

(psst: Bible Adventures actually wasn't that bad relatively speaking. I played far, far worse. And those were actual licensed products!)

Quote Originally Posted by Cycona View Post
    what i mean is young players will follow anything they see their hero doing, like religious and stuff !!
    Dude, I cannot tell you how many days I spent running around the house looking for gold coins.

And I used to get into fights with everyone to try to gain their abilities.

And then there was that year where I went around hitting stray animals with a stick in order to "level up".

But thankfully I didn't go the videogame route and instead moved to New York to live underground and chow down on pizza between bouts of bludgeoning muggers with swords.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raype View Post
    I get all my religion from games.

It's why I converted to gnosticism.

The only religion that is approved by giant robots, whalemonsters, and the space pope.

(psst: Bible Adventures actually wasn't that bad relatively speaking. I played far, far worse. And those were actual licensed products!)

Dude, I cannot tell you how many days I spent running around the house looking for gold coins.

And I used to get into fights with everyone to try to gain their abilities.

And then there was that year where I went around hitting stray animals with a stick in order to "level up".

But thankfully I didn't go the videogame route and instead moved to New York to live underground and chow down on pizza between bouts of bludgeoning muggers with swords.

hehe, thats great, me too btw, (plz dont call me dude i hate that word for no reason )
    anyway, i think u are right about that, cuz at the end we will grow and realize that, those are games only, but some dosent ... DUH !!!

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Um, yeah. I've played alot of those crappy NES games and they are all unplayable. The one where you carry a baby around (jesus? Moses?) was funky though.

Edit: I think my browser or me fucked up, because when I replied I only saw a couple of posts. OH, WELL!
    Last edited by Elmdor Rizer; 27th-June-2011 at 13:46.

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Raype View Post
    Yeah, eating pizza in a sewer would be an adventure in itself.

This might sound kind of off base but it seems like most of the religious games are cheap and totally suck balls. It's like they don't really send a promising message to anyone with a young impressionable mind. It's more like: "Jesus loves you and wants you to play this steaming pile of shit." It just doesn't really help the image of organized religion even if the core values of compassion, patience and understanding are there.

Thanks
    EP Points

there are a few officially liscensed religion based games on GBA and Original Xbox, i think the xbox one is rare

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    EP Points

I wonder how would a Muslim religious game would look like,since their teachings forbid depictions of humans and animals.
    Maybe a text-adventure of some sorts ?

Thanks

I think religion is a great thing to have in a game as a backdrop similar to what someone said earlier about Xenogears and the later FF10 example. Obviously real religion and/or politics wouldn't meld with a game without compromise on a lot of other factors such as gameplay, and might be misunderstood without context. (Assuming the player doesn't give a damn about those things in real life) Which is why I think Darksiders uses it in a very good way. They make the setting modern day based on Judeo-Christian myhtos, but craft their own story using familiar names and locations. The player can choose to ignore all this and accept it as a unique world if they like, or notice all the connections to real life values, but still not be persuaded, converted, or otherwise bothered while playing because it's just a plot to support the gameplay. That's my take on it, the Assassin's Creed example earlier was another good example where religion/politics was a background plot device that enriches the experience.