Thread: What Makes A Video Game Genre.

Thanks
    EP Points

Default What Makes A Video Game Genre.

Discuss what you think makes a video game genre. Simple as that

I think that the adventure genre always is defined by it's (usually) open-ended world, its cutscenes, which usually have close calls, and it's points of interests, such as ancient monuments and the such. The RPG genre I think is typically classified by it's battle system, whether it is turned based or in real time, is (usually) single-player only, has a lot of menus, a long story, and has a bunch of cliches . What defines the fighter genre for me is that the games (usually) include a super bar or something of the sorts, usually has a health bar (Bushido Blade is an exception to this), and moves that are very flashy and cool looking.

That's all I have to say right now. So tell me your thoughts.

Thanks
    EP Points

to add on to your rpg genre. i believe what also makes it is the weapon and armour based system. i believe all rpgs should have some sort of custom weapon and or armour. thats just my thoughts though
    "Life is what you make of it. Don't make excuses. Make it happen."
    This my World.
    --- Chamillionaire

Thanks
    EP Points

I think the action genre is a combo of all the genres. Take GTA for example. You have some elements of platforming, running and jumping,walking, then you have driving and racing. Shooting is also mixed in. Some action games have puzzles, but a lot of them don't. Since they're action, they're supposed to be fast paced.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Video game genres are pretty well blended now.

Anyway, what I care about

Fighters - A large character roster (preferably all unlocked at the start of the game (go die Capcom)), on a 2D plane, character design, good move inputs and this kind of ties in to the first one but a wide variety of character types as well.

Shmups - lots of effing enemies, multiple ships or changeable weapons, brutal difficulty that makes me cry.

RPGs - battle system (I can look beyond a bad battle system, and I think some are hated on for no reason or high learning curve, but it is an important aspect), a good plot (again more of a bonus when it's something pure win, I'm mostly going to play RPGs anyway and I do enjoy some plot-lite RPGs), unlockable content/galleries, epilogues, new game plus. New game plus is actually the most important for me. I'm a lot more willing to immediately buy a game if I know it's something I'll be playing over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by negles
    to add on to your rpg genre. i believe what also makes it is the weapon and armour based system. i believe all rpgs should have some sort of custom weapon and or armour. thats just my thoughts though
    DDS was awesome. It didn't have any equipment at all except for bullets (not like you use human form much anyway) and rings you could unlock for the second game. Instead it was replaced by a fantastic ability based system with a grid for learning and a system separate from experience but also tied into battles for learning new abilites. 8)

Thanks
    EP Points

im sorry. im not the smartest person ever. someone is gonna have to tell me what DDS is
    "Life is what you make of it. Don't make excuses. Make it happen."
    This my World.
    --- Chamillionaire

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

FPS: fuckton of enemies.
    Medpacks.
    Lots of bullets.
    Little to no cover.
    Aliens/demons.
    One massively overpowered weapon, and a bunch of moderate ones.
    Shotguns.

That is all

Thanks

How about the Puzzle genre?

- Challenging Puzzles
    - Some sort of plot (in depth or just there because it needs a plot)
    - Either shallow characters that are just there or characters that have detailed backgrounds that are explored throughout the game or subsequent games
    - Possibly no characters and no plot depending on the game

Actually, I think that might be just about everything. There's not a whole lot to the puzzle genre, and this list was made with games like Professor Layton in mind.

Thanks

Adventure:
    Deep storyline with plenty of interaction between characters.
    Fighting: both with brains and skill, so not just hitting them with a weapon, but having to think and react fast.
    Dungeons: The more the better, with progressively harder enemies and layouts.
    World: open world, able to go where you want provided you have certain abilities or items to give you access.
    Bosses: The toughest thing you've faced yet, but once you've beaten them it's fun to go back and do it again.
    Items: A whole range, designed to suit any task, but collected as you progress in the game.
    Collectibles: Loads and Loads of collectibles scattered all around the world.
    Sidequests: Both short one-quest breaks and longer mini-plot breaks from the main storyline/
    Enemies: Both easy and hard, usuall with some kind of critical weakness to each one (shoot it's eyes, throw water at it, e.t.c)
    Money: Being able to get it from almost anywhere and have worthwhile stuff to spend it on.
    Health:Having just enough that you're always thinking you're about to die, but never quite reaching it. Also upgradeable.
    Magic: Usually superhuman stuff, like instant healing potions, spells and ancient technology (whether it's called magic or not)
    Other stuff: tends to have mystical ancient legends popping up everywhere.

Thats my thoughts. If you think I've missed anything just tell me

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Video game genres are pretty well blended now.

Anyway, what I care about

Fighters - A large character roster (preferably all unlocked at the start of the game (go die Capcom)), on a 2D plane, character design, good move inputs and this kind of ties in to the first one but a wide variety of character types as well.

Shmups - lots of effing enemies, multiple ships or changeable weapons, brutal difficulty that makes me cry.

RPGs - battle system (I can look beyond a bad battle system, and I think some are hated on for no reason or high learning curve, but it is an important aspect), a good plot (again more of a bonus when it's something pure win, I'm mostly going to play RPGs anyway and I do enjoy some plot-lite RPGs), unlockable content/galleries, epilogues, new game plus. New game plus is actually the most important for me. I'm a lot more willing to immediately buy a game if I know it's something I'll be playing over and over again.

DDS was awesome. It didn't have any equipment at all except for bullets (not like you use human form much anyway) and rings you could unlock for the second game. Instead it was replaced by a fantastic ability based system with a grid for learning and a system separate from experience but also tied into battles for learning new abilites. 8)
    People like to fail at the Tears of Blood battle system, even though it's pretty simple.

Quote Originally Posted by BBardz View Post
    Adventure:
    Deep storyline with plenty of interaction between characters.
    Fighting: both with brains and skill, so not just hitting them with a weapon, but having to think and react fast.
    Dungeons: The more the better, with progressively harder enemies and layouts.
    World: open world, able to go where you want provided you have certain abilities or items to give you access.
    Bosses: The toughest thing you've faced yet, but once you've beaten them it's fun to go back and do it again.
    Items: A whole range, designed to suit any task, but collected as you progress in the game.
    Collectibles: Loads and Loads of collectibles scattered all around the world.
    Sidequests: Both short one-quest breaks and longer mini-plot breaks from the main storyline/
    Enemies: Both easy and hard, usuall with some kind of critical weakness to each one (shoot it's eyes, throw water at it, e.t.c)
    Money: Being able to get it from almost anywhere and have worthwhile stuff to spend it on.
    Health:Having just enough that you're always thinking you're about to die, but never quite reaching it. Also upgradeable.
    Magic: Usually superhuman stuff, like instant healing potions, spells and ancient technology (whether it's called magic or not)
    Other stuff: tends to have mystical ancient legends popping up everywhere.

Thats my thoughts. If you think I've missed anything just tell me
    Sounds more like a characteristic of an RPG . Prince of Persia and Zelda immediately come to mind when I think adventure game.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by negles View Post
    im sorry. im not the smartest person ever. someone is gonna have to tell me what DDS is
    Shin Megami Tensai: Digital Devil Saga