Thread: Addition: Help Forum/Subforum/Sticky Topics

Thanks

Default Addition: Help Forum/Subforum/Sticky Topics

As a new user browsing around the site, it'd be helpful to see an area dedicated to asking/answering questions regarding the site, be it an actual forum or just a sticky topic in the relevant subforums. You could add a 'Simple Questions/Simple Answers' sticky thread in the relevant forums, or just dedicate a new forum to answering user questions.

For instance, I got a couple questions regarding the Let's Play Subforum, but I don't see any relevant place to ask without starting a new topic there...which just adds to the clutter.

If such an area exists and I just couldn't find it...well, I'm just bad at the Internets. And should probably leave in shame.

Thanks
    EP Points

What's wrong with this very section? It's called "site-related" for a reason. Go ahead and post your question here, no one will bite your head off.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Gare is right, you are in the right subforum to ask that kind of questions

Thanks

Default LP Forum Question

Works for me. Though it was still confusing to me as a new member, so I figured I would post as such here (for feedback purposes).

Alright, so for my actual questions...

1. I've noticed that most people create a new thread for each game/LP/playthrough that they do. However, I think I saw a few who put all their LPs into a single thread. Is there any specific way you're supposed to do it/way that is preferred?

2. Are the threads only for 'new' LPs that are recorded after joining these forums, or is linking older works from Youtube OK?

3. Random question that's unrelated, but can be related. I see a sticky thread for sharing Wii Codes/etc, but does anyone know of a place (or people) that would be good for linking up Emulators for some older gameplay? I'm not really talking about head-to-head classic arcade fighting games...moreso co-op games like Secret of Mana or maybe even some Super Mario World or something. I'm willing to try a ton of games and genres that I haven't played, but I think it'd be more interesting to play with others (joys of the Internet!) and I have no friends in RL. If all goes well and the interest is there, maybe this can lead to some Co-Op LP's, but that's a ways away yet. I'm moreso interested in the finding new (old?) gamers aspect at this point.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

1. I'd say it's up to the uploader/LPer.

2. Don't see an issue with it, providing it is actually your work/footage. Don't grab random LPs by other people and post them as yours, though.

Thanks
    EP Points

Pretty much what Tan said about #2.

As for #1, I was one of the people who made a single thread for several smaller LPs because I felt that they didn't deserve their own threads. They were mostly 1-2 hour long small projects. Nowadays I just post everything in separate threads, though. It's easier for the viewer, since they can just skim through the thread titles and see all the games that were LP'd. In the end, though, it's completely up to you.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Leon Jilo View Post

2. Are the threads only for 'new' LPs that are recorded after joining these forums, or is linking older works from Youtube OK?
    We have recruited and set in place for this very purpose an internet special forces unit that will carbon date the youtube footage, (as well as thoroughly scan the video for newspaper dates and other chronologically incriminating elements,) to ensure that you are not in any way attempting to, "pull a fast one," as they say, and pass off older gaming recordings as if they were current and still relevant.

Thanks

Hahaha...well, I had to ask! Especially after checking out the SA forums before this and seeing their huge list of rules (and various unposted preferences and such).

Thanks for the help. Anyone have any leads for me on #3?

Thanks
    EP Points

We've already had a few co-op LPs done by some of the forum regulars, so it's a possibility, provided you find someone who's interested. I say go ahead and create a new thread in General Gaming, that's the easiest way to find people who might be interested in doing co-op with you. We also have a fighting game hangout, if you're into that.