Thread: [Nintendo DS] Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon (US) Clean Rom Request

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default [Nintendo DS] Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon (US) Clean Rom Request

Can somebody help me? I need help in finding a clean rom of Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon. Or Fire Emblem 11 as Fire Emblem Shrine puts it. I'm not sure if the one here at EmuParadise IS the clean rom or not. If it is, somebody tell me.

Currently Listening To: Nightwish - Ghost Love Score
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy IV: The After Years (FFIV:TCC, PSP), Spelunky (PC), Eversion (PC), Koumajou Densetsu 1 (PC) & Koumajou Densetsu 2 (PC)

Thanks
    EP Points

The USA version is a bad dump, you can try european version (En,Fr,De,Es,It)

From No-Intro dats:

game (
    name "Fire Emblem - Shadow Dragon (USA) [b]"
    description "Fire Emblem - Shadow Dragon (USA) [b]"
    serial "YFEE"
    rom ( name "Fire Emblem - Shadow Dragon (USA) [b].nds" size 67108864 crc 4CE55236 md5 548B35DCFB1AE8D110D4967D482B56F1 sha1 A88737DD8C82C99E10E440907C669DE5BB7862C0 flags baddump )
    )

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WitchHunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Awww. I was hoping to try and hack Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon to make it more fun too. But the editor I found for it at FEShrine is SO COMPLICATED!!!

Decompiling Info For the Editor:
    Spoiler warning:
    Fire Emblem DS Hacking Compilation by Blazer
    ---------------------------------------------------

How to Decompile your NDS ROM

1) Obtain the game. I cannot help you do this.
    2) Obtain a program to decompile your game. I recommend DSlazy because it is simple.
    If it does not work, make sure you have installed the .NET runtime.
    3) Use your program and either load your ROM. For DSlazy, this means using the "..." button on the left side
    and choosing your NDS game.
    4) Hit "unpack" or "decompile". Wait a couple of minutes for the thing to do it's stuff.
    5) Go to the place where the decompiled ROM is. For DSlazy, go to the folder with DSlazy and then go to
    "NDS_UNPACK".
    6) There are two folders from here. You will almost always use the "data" folder, unless mentioned otherwise.
    7) In the data folder are bunch of other folders with tons of files. If this is what you have, then you have successfully
    decompiled your game.

How to Recompile your NDS ROM

1) For DSlazy, simply hit "nds packer" and then choose what to save your packed game as.
    For others, hit something like 'recompile' or 'repack', and normally that will do it.

How to edit the files in a decompiled ROM

1) Open up your hex editor.
    2) Open up the file you want to edit.
    3) You can now edit the data just like that; however, it may prove hard as the data is usually compressed.
    To decompress and compress LZ77 data, see the LZ77 Compression guide.

The LZ77 Compression Guide (Which I CANNOT FIGURE OUT):
    Spoiler warning:
    Tutorial on how to Compress & Uncompress LZ77 Data

Major thanks to Nintenlord for his amazing program, NLZ77-- it's literally amazing in it's capabilities.

Compressing Data

1. Open up Nintenlord's LZ77 Compressor.
    2. There will be two "browse" buttons. For the first one, select the file you are looking to compress.
    For the second one, type in the name of the new file with all the compressed data.
    3. Make sure the option on the right is on "Compress" and then hit run.
    4. Wait for it to run a few seconds (if it takes longer, just wait) and then a pop-up should say "Finished". Hit "OK.
    5. You are now finished.

Uncompressing Data

2. There will be two "browse" buttons. For the first one, select the file you are looking to uncompress.
    For the second one, type in the name of the new file with all the uncompressed data.
    3. Make sure the option on the right is on "Uncompress" and then hit run.
    4. Wait for it to run a few seconds (if it takes longer, just wait) and then a pop-up should say "Finished". Hit "OK.
    5. You are now finished.

Recompressing Data (for use with Character Editor)

2. There will be two "browse" buttons. For the first one, select "database.tpl", which is the file with all your changes.
    In order for the game to make the changes, it needs to have your new file. But it doesn't like the way your file is now.
    So you need to use this program to change it.
    3. For the 2nd browse, type in "database.cms"*.
    4. Make sure the option on the right is on "compress" and then hit run.
    5. Wait for it to run a few seconds (if it takes longer, just wait) and then a pop-up should say "Finished". Hit "OK.
    6. You are now finished.

Go along, continue with the other tutorial now. Once you do this once or twice, you'll get the hang of it and it'll happen a lot faster, trust me.

*the .cms can be anything, however I recommend you set it to database.cms, database.lz7, or database.blz,
    as it's the LZ77 compression stuff (cms stand for compression, lz = lz77).

Character, Class, & Item Readme infos (FOR THE LOVE OF GIYGAS! HOW DO I WORK THESE?!):
    Spoiler warning:

Character Editor Info:
    In order to use the character editor, follow these directions.

1) Open up database.tpl in 'Nightmare.exe', included with the editors.
    2) Open up the character editing module with nightmare.
    3) Edit what you want, hit enter after making changes to an item, and after you are all done,
    hit ctrl+s to save.
    4) Use NLZ77 Compressor and recompress the files following the tutorial included with it.
    Thanks to Nintenlord for the program.
    5) Put the file "database" in the "data" folder of your decompiled NDS ROM. Make it replace the old one so that the new changes replace the old data.
    6)Recompile the ROM using DSLazy or another program of your choice.
    7) Test the game to see if your changes work.

Class Editor Info
    In order to use the class editor, follow these directions.

2) Open up the class editing module with nightmare.
    3) Edit what you want, hit enter after making changes to an item, and after you are all done,
    hit ctrl+s to save.
    4) Use NLZ77 Compressor and recompress the files following the tutorial included with it.
    5) Put the file "database" in the "data" folder of your decompiled NDS ROM. Make it replace the old one so that the new changes replace the old data.

Item Editor Info
    In order to use the item editor, follow these directions.

2) Open up the item editing module with nightmare.
    hit ctrl+s to save.

I know this is DEFINETLY straying from the original topic but still....HOW THE HECK AM I SUPPOSED TO WORK SUCH A FREAKING COMPLICATED EDITOR!!!!!!!! It's says I need to open up database.tpl but HOW do I go about doing that and if you feel this is straying too far from the original topic please close it. But if there's an expert in hacking games like this or if they know a different editor than the one I added, PLEASE let me know.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy IV: The After Years (FFIV:TCC, PSP), Spelunky (PC), Eversion (PC), Koumajou Densetsu 1 (PC) & Koumajou Densetsu 2 (PC)

Thanks
    EP Points

I never hack a rom but the compress/decomperss tutorial say:

1) decomplie the NDS roms
    2) locate database.tpl, press browse button and select it, then check the decompress option and type another name for output (type the full path with quotes like: "c:\nds roms\decompressed\database.cms") then it run and wait.

P.S.: if Nintenlord's LZ77 Compressor won't run install the .net framework 3.5 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...1-508d977d32a6)

Also you can try 7z (http://www.7-zip.org/7z.html) it support LZMA (Improved and optimized version of LZ77 algorithm). Maybe it works...

Goodluck!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WitchHunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I tried to do it but I got a MAJOR headache just TRYING to attemp to do the first THREE STEPS.