Thread: buying new external HD

Thanks

Default buying new external HD

im going to buy a external HD. im looking to buy a 1-2 terabyte HD. is hard to decide which to buy because there is alot of them and different brands.

personally i l like WD. i had a 1T previously but it died on me. if possible i want to use it as an external HD for my future ps3 or could be just a back up for my files.

i was looking but i can decide since i dont know the difference between elemets desktop External HD/ my book studio Edition II external HD/my book studio LX

i found this 2 on newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-748-_-Product

i saw that one of them uses power but also has its own fan. wondering if the one without fan will suffer of overheating.

not sure if this is the best HD but after some searching and reading reviews this were the ones that i like it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Id go with the "Western Digital Elements 2TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive" since you Probably do not have USB 3.0

No Point paying the extra really

Thanks

+1 what Kouen said.

Hard drives die all the time. Predicting which brands or what types are statistically more reliable in any given sample is nigh impossible. Save your cash & go the cheap one.

Thanks
    EP Points

Western Digital all the way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kouen View Post
    Id go with the "Western Digital Elements 2TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive" since you Probably do not have USB 3.0

No Point paying the extra really
    the difference is $20, what worries me is that i can see that my book essential has an internal fan so it probably wont suffer overheating. is there a change that Wester digital elements (cheap one) will suffer of overheating? if not ill go for the cheap.

thanks for the advice.

Thanks
    EP Points

The WD externals I had were green drives which spin down when not being wrote to/read from so a fan doesn't make a difference at all.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    The WD externals I had were green drives which spin down when not being wrote to/read from so a fan doesn't make a difference at all.
    thanks this is what i wanted to hear.btw is this good for a ps3 or should i get a 600gb one?

i really appreciate all the help i get from this forums.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by guatemala View Post
    thanks this is what i wanted to hear.btw is this good for a ps3 or should i get a 600gb one?

i really appreciate all the help i get from this forums.
    What do you mean is it good for PS3? You do know you can't use this drive internally in a PS3, as they require 2.5" SATA drives and the largest 2.5" SATA drives that fit inside of PS3s are 750GB. I hope you mean is it going to be decent to use as an external drive through USB, then yes. Just make sure you format it in FAT32 using fat32format gui app as PS3s don't support NTFS.

Thanks

yeah i meant external HD. sry for not making it clear. all my questions are clear now.

thanks again. will bother you guys more once i get my ps3

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm using http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145326 this one right here and it's working fine for me right now. Bought it last year and I haven't had any issues so far.
    The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

- James Oliver Rigney Jr. aka Robert Jordan (God rest his Soul.) 10-17-1948 to 09-16-2007

Thanks

WD all day never had any issues with WD products ever

Thanks
    EP Points

if your in canada futureshop had 2 terras on sale for $99

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks

heres something. I have done this in the past and it has saved me a lot of money for a lot of space and speed. Sence external hardrives are usually lower in performence then internals and more costly I found out that its better to get an external encloser and buy an internall hard drive. Its cheaper and there are many enclosers that support multiple set ups. You can easily get a duel encloser and buy two 1 terra bite drives and get 2 total faster. This is especially for enclosers that support Raid functions. That and if one breaks its cheaper to replace.
    Kitty lick lick.......He tastes your soul