Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wii U

Thanks

Default Wii U

So what are your initial thoughts about Wii U?

Thanks

Dude, holy crap. Could they add more junk to the controller? The controller itself is a console! A 6.3'' touchscreen, camera, gyroscope/motion crap, etc. I thought the Wii controllers were expensive, but these will sell for like $150 a pop!

http://www.gamespot.com/features/631...nside-and-out/

The console itself looks even more halfassed compared to the Wii, basically looking like a white portable disc drive. I mean, some minimalism is good, but when your controllers are 5 times the size of the system, you have a problem.

I think this thing will fall pretty quickly, like the 3DS. They're trying too hard to keep the same idea alive, and it will be an expensive console to experiment with. I guess the controller in a way is better, since it has 2 analog sticks, some buttons, shoulder buttons and triggers, but I can't imagine it being anymore powerful than a PS3. In fact, it wont be. They're relying too much on gimmicks and not about the games themselves... but that's just me.

EDIT: Also, naming it the Wii U is just confusing, it will smaash their sales. At least call it the Wii 2 at least, but the Wii U just sounds like an extension to the console, or so special version of it...
    Last edited by Quiji; 7th-June-2011 at 19:17.

Thanks

I think the simple fact that it's an HD console places them in a better situation than the Wii itself did, and the Wii practically printed money for them. The controller will also almost certainly be optional - much like the classic controller and Gamecube controller were options for the Wii, I bet the huge monster of a Wii-U controller won't be necessary in most games. In fact I doubt very much all too many games will take advantage of the touchscreen to its fullest potential. (If the DS is any indicator of how things will go, most third party developers will just stick a map on the screen or an inventory screen or whatever..)

I think it will be a success, but that might entirely hinge on how their online support for this console pans out.. It desperately needs to be better than what the Wii had.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Just to be blunt. I think it's gonna suck. I think the controller looks good and all, but seriously? Wii U? Couldn't they make a better name? And maybe they could've added more stuff to the console? I got rid of my Wii, and I don't think I'm getting this. I'm gonna stick with my PS3 and 360.

However, I'm kinda skeptical about the controller. Looks good, looks like it'll play good, but I'm still not sure.=/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

I think it's promising, it's going to offer something different and that's exactly what they have to do if they want to give PS3/360 owners a reason to get another console.
    And the name won't have any big impact on sales or stuff, the same was said when Wii was announced and it was a great success.

Thanks

Cookie is correct, the name will have no meaningful impact whatsoever. I mean, seriously now.. "Wii" was a weird name too and it was by far their most successful home console to date.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Quiji View Post
    EDIT: Also, naming it the Wii U is just confusing, it will smaash their sales. At least call it the Wii 2 at least, but the Wii U just sounds like an extension to the console, or so special version of it...
    Nah, I doubt that. I still remember people bitching about the Revolution being renamed to Wii, and like Cookie said, it was a successful console sales-wise.

Hell, the Xbox2 is called Xbox360. Wii U sounds silly, but people will stop complaining about it in a few weeks/months like they did with the Wii and it'll probably sell like hotcakes when it does come out.

Thanks
    EP Points

well condsidering i doubt anyone is going to flail that controller around to play their games i believe nintendo will get back to some good games. instead of retarded childish puzzle games.
    "Life is what you make of it. Don't make excuses. Make it happen."
    This my World.
    --- Chamillionaire

Thanks

All I'm gonna say is, releasing a console with good specs now instead of five years ago was a good business move. The Wii has already sold 75 million units as it is, and the thing isn't that awesome of a console. And now that Sony and Microsoft might wait another 5 years or so for new technology for a new console with better specs, Nintendo will be right there sell even more. It's just... funny. Lol.

Honestly, I think it looks pretty cool. Not gonna lie. Controllers must be hella expensive, and the bulk is pretty bad. But hell, the PSVita is only 250.00 - 300.00 USD. Maybe Nintendo will just sell the controllers for 50 and call it a day. They already have a crapload of money. Lol. And I'm not gonna lie, the console itself is a TAD better than the PS3/360. Not by much, but it is just a bit.

Thanks
    EP Points

i think most people would disagree with your last comment there SharinganLust
    "Life is what you make of it. Don't make excuses. Make it happen."
    This my World.
    --- Chamillionaire

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Hey guys, remember when everyone said the DS would fail? And then they said the same about the Wii?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by negles View Post
    i think most people would disagree with your last comment there SharinganLust
    Which comment? Unless you mean the whole thing in general. Lol. How so?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SharinganLust View Post
    All I'm gonna say is, releasing a console with good specs now instead of five years ago was a good business move. The Wii has already sold 75 million units as it is, and the thing isn't that awesome of a console.
    Good point. It seems like they have handled it in a very smart, practical way, although I can't say I'm thrilled by their newest offering.

Not to go off on a tangent but the direction that video games have taken kind of reminds me of the advice I have read in a lot of art instructional books: namely that you have to be careful not to rock the boat or do anything too original. So everyone starts walking on eggshells and figuring out what will offend the least number of people and please the majority; good business sense, no doubt, but also very boring.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Not to go off on a tangent but the direction that video games have taken kind of reminds me of the advice I have read in a lot of art instructional books: namely that you have to be careful not to rock the boat or do anything too original. So everyone starts walking on eggshells and figuring out what will offend the least number of people and please the majority; good business sense, no doubt, but also very boring.
    Agree'd. Though Nintendo has always tried to create really original content (Virtual Boy, Game & Watch device with two screens that was extremely similar to the DS which name escapes me, etc.) Lol. So eh. You can't blame them. But I would like to see a traditional console from Nintendo with no gimmicks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    And the name won't have any big impact on sales or stuff, the same was said when Wii was announced and it was a great success.
    No, I didn;t mean the name was odd, just that its very similar to the original name. Even Wii 2 would of been better just to destinquish it, but Nintendo has always called their consoles slightly different for each generation. Its just like when I had to convince my parents to buy a Super Nintendo, it sounds so similar to the regular Nintendo.

But its just me. Wii U sounds like another adaptive device/extension rather than an entirely new system, much like the difference between DS and 3DS. They don't really have any new ideas to work with, but make some performance upgrades, add a couple more gimmicks, and there you go. The name itself in both cases plainly means they have nothing new to add to the system, its just an minor expensive upgrade.

That's all I'm trying to say.