Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your gaming attention span.

Thanks
    EP Points

I have on my PSP:-
    Kingodm Hearts: BBS
    ZHP

These 2 games has been with me ever since I got my PSP(back in February) Both still not completed yet. Altough...my ZHP game IS progressing(for a while I was on chapter 2, now I'm on chapter 4)

This, of course, does not include the other games I kept switching in:-
    Hexyz Force (not even close to finshing one side, and I still got another side to play as)
    Star Wars: TFU(about 2 more levels and I'm done!)
    Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles (I've only recently beaten it last month, but not the boss rushes(okay, I've beaten normal) and 2 more bosses. Also, the SotN port...is giving me freezing errors)

On my laptop:-
    X-Men Legends 2
    Dow 2 Vanilla
    STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
    Star Wars: KoTOR

Half these games has been in my laptop for more than a year. Not finished yet.

On the DS(emulator):-
    Pokeman Platinum(mostly because I've already finished Pearl)
    Pokemon White(very close to finishing)
    Magial Starsign (might be close to finishing)
    Castlevania: OoE (to be honest, I've finished the game. This is my Lvl 50 Fresh Hard Mode game. I've tried at least a dozen times, but I'm still failing to medal-kill Albus)

GBA(emulator):-
    Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: RRT(the post-story dungeons, which are apparently related to the story)
    FFVI Advance(since 2007...*hides*)
    Sword of Mana(since 2009...)
    Shining Soul 1 and 2

SNES (also emulator):-
    Super Metroid(*runs*)
    Chrono Trigger(*runs somemore*)
    Megaman X3

I'm just losing mood to play certain games and thus have to wait a very LONG while before I continue on.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well, I have ADHD, and my gaming attention span is iffy. If I like the game, I'll play it non-stop, and I mean, non-stop. Lol. Like right now, I'm playing Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, and I can't stop playing it lol. Normally when I play a game, I play it until I get stuck at one part, get pissed off, then go and play a different game to try and cool down and re-think a strategy on that game. (Yes, it's odd but it works for me! Lol.=P)

And I still have a HUGE list of games to beat. Here are just a few.

Illusion of Gaia (SNES.)
    Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow/Fire Red/Leaf Green/Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/Platinum. (I love Pokemon.)
    Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
    The Megaman X Series,
    The Megaman Zero Series.
    And a lot more.=P

Thanks

It's kinda funny how most of my completed games would consist of epic j/RPGs, lengthy text adventures, and then a handful of 4-6 hour FPS's. If it's something else that had a bunch of throw-away cutscenes, open world, or arcadey, it'll pretty much last me only a handful of hours.

I guess I just need a good story.

Thanks

hmmmmmm.... well i used to be a "hardcore" gamer playing extremely hard games back in the day. with classics like Castlevania, Mega Man, Contra, Zelda, Mario, etc. i would play these games nonstop, until i see the damned Credits, probably just for the hell of it, for the personal satisfaction of beating the hell out of something difficult.

as i got older, that sorta attitude faded as i saw it as a waste of time and stopped enjoying that kinda thing. i started getting into more mature games, with deeper storylines and slower gameplay. RPG's and the like. i could still play these games for hours on end though. completed a lot of very long RPGs in the PS1 era of gaming and even some PS2 rpgs.

nowadays im almost a retired gamer. spend too much time at work, i alternate between sleep, college and work so i dont have a lot of time.. but i still hop on a game every now and than. i play random stuff now though, im not as picky, i have a good retro collection that i still pick out of occasionally, as well as some more recent games. (however i dont currently own any current-gen consoles) so the newest games i play are PC usually.

latest game i spent a lot of hours on would be "Two Worlds II" great game but my pirated version only took me as far as chapter 3 lol. i'll be buying the game shortly though. i wanna wait and get a new PC though because this one can't handle these new games anymore.

JRPGS arent doing it for me anymore, i like the Elder Scrolls style now. freedom, exploring, all those sorts of things really entertain me. being forced into a linear track does not. i couldnt finish Rogue Galaxy because of that. i thought it was gonna be a big open game but it lied to me! its not!...

so yeah, i play in small portions nowadays and i only finish games that really pull me in. [btw i never play FPS games, i'm an rpg/platformer fan - action/adventure is good to]

Supreme Warrior Guest

boy when I was younger I sure could, but as I got older I slowly couldnt take no more than 3-4 hours at a time, well recently I did play Arc Rise Fantasia for a good 5-6 hours at a time.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Warrior View Post
    boy when I was younger I sure could, but as I got older I slowly couldnt take no more than 3-4 hours at a time, well recently I did play Arc Rise Fantasia for a good 5-6 hours at a time.
    This is about how much I play at a time, unless it's a Disgaea game.

Thanks

Depending on the game i can play anywhere between 4 hours to 20 mins. I got lost in Zelda Game series and Final Fantasy, even the Halo Franchise, but other games like Flight simulators, theme park world, e.t.c bore me fast. I try to play games through to the end of the credits though

One time, I knew if I did the boss fight on a game that I would never play it again, so I resolved not to fight the boss until it was 100% complete. I haven't touched it since Guess that didn't really work.

Thanks
    EP Points

Up to 3 years ago, I would have a really big attention span. Since my time nowdays is kinda limited, I don't want to waste my time with games that have boring parts. If a game has a nasty tendency to take control away from me more than necessary, I usually blast it aside in its opening 2 hours.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Depends on the game. If I get hooked (like I tend to with most RPGs I've played), I fall into the latter, but there are some games that I tend to have a shorter span on. There are even (although very few) games that I'd LIKE to have a longer attention span on, but can't because they make me sick to my stomach after about an hour and a half of playing (the original Doom comes to mind, as do Metroid Prime and Half Life).

I also typically (or at least try to) finish the games I start. As it stands, I believe the majority of my unfinished games fall into one of two categories: 1. I'm still working on them, but have become distracted by other games, despite enjoying them (Tecmo's Deception, for example), or 2. They were games I was playing on the PS2 before it messed up. Examples of this are Dragon Quarter, Xenosaga I (I beat II when my brother had it, as I recall), Persona 3 (though thanks to a share account, I'm playing that on PSP, currently, and will soon finish), and Lunar 2 (I can always play it on the PS3 or an emulator, but since I have to start over again anyway, I'm planning to replay Lunar 1 first ).
    Last edited by Tanthias; 19th-June-2011 at 10:13.

Thanks
    EP Points

As it's been said, it mostly depends on the game for me, I'm definitely the kind of guy who can sink an immense amount of hours into a game. Even if I don't like the game, I still try to beat them all to completion.

I've dumped 400+ hours into each of the Monster Hunter games. I don't know whether to be proud or kill myself.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I really vary. I can go from playing one game in 1 hour bursts, to playing another game nonstop until I have /everything/ finished. It really just depends how much it grabs my attention.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth View Post
    Depends on the game for me. I usually have no patience whatsoever with longer RPGs -- I actually find them kind of boring. I usually like to play a game that takes about 20-30 hours to finish on the first playthrough. That's about the right length of game time for me. Also, if it's a lot of reading/searching out people to talk to/exploring to figure out where you need to go next/grinding, I tend to get bored really quickly.
    This to a tee. While I love free roam games, after a while I just get tired of running around trying to get to the next mission/objective. Just like in inFamous 2. I love the game, but once I got to the later missions I found myself getting bored. Lucky I finished it anyway and I've only got 3 more trophies to Platinum.

As for RPG's I have yet to finish one. I've bought SO MANY RPG's over the years and have not to finish one. Its not that I don't enjoy the games (sometimes I don't), but I'm just not into extremely long games.
    Join Creatures of Myth! A Fantasy Role-Playing Site
    http://creatures-of-myth.forumotion.com/forum

Thanks

Gaming attention span... I pay to much attention to games lol. I play for dangerous amounts of time (up to 15 hours), and once I start a game I don't play any other game on that system till I beat it, unless I get stuck of course. Coinincidentally I just finished one of the games you mentioned, Chrono Trigger on SNES for the first time today, totally worth 30 hours of my life lol.

Thanks

Well I'm actually kind of a weird gamer...

Let me give you an example:

I was playing Disgaea, and I finished the scenario, so on my 2nd Cycle I got the Vyers ending for the lulz, and then I started my 3rd Cycle to take down the Baal... So obviously I needed a LOT of Item World leveling to do... I didn't even had a Cosmic Blade to start with... That's when I called it quits... Save file was around 40 times of gameplay or so...

Now fast forward few months. I had a sudden urge to play Disgaea again, I took it from where I left off to taking down Baal in one effin' almost nonstop go... Now my save file was up to 110 hours of gameplay and I got Yoshitsuna, Galaxy, Super Robot Armor, Hyperdrive, unlocked Majin class and stuff except from killing "Uber Prinny Baal"... Now I called it quits again and am playing Disgaea 2... I don't know when I'll go back playing Disgaea again, but when I do... There will be world of hurt for Uber Prinny Baal...

That's how my attention span is... I play it, finish it, call it quits, come back at a later date, get %99 or %100 completion...

Thanks

i mostly don't like to stop playing a set game until it is beaten, but lately with the constant pressure some of these games are giving, like with ingame cellections, bonuses for doing set objectives way out of storyline, i been falling back to the simpler games from the snes or gba. I do enjoy the Elder Skrolls style games, but it gets repetitive. it's just that the newer games have so much you can do at one point, and what you do changes the difficulty later on down the road. i guess i'm just missing the simpler games they offered, but i will always go back to the complex games to destroy the enemy. but i will say this, after i beat a game once or twice, i like to run through it again with cheats just so i can say "take this bitches!"
    I'm OK, I swear. No, there are no voices, no I don't need medication, and no I don't believe I'm Jesus. The men in white are coming, gotta go.