Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wii 2 is 'Project Café'

Thanks
    EP Points

Exclamation Wii 2 is 'Project Café'

A new report from French technology website 01net says that the recently rumored Nintendo HD platform is currently codenamed Project Cafe. The site, which leaked NGP specs before its announcement, claims to have tech specs and controller details for the console.

According to the report, the console will run on a custom IBM PowerPC CPU with three cores, a ATI R700 family GPU with a shader unit at version 4.1, and at least 512mb of RAM, which is “a bit more powerful” than an Xbox 360.

The site reaffirms that Project Cafe will have backwards compatibility with both Wii and Gamecube titles.

The controller boasts a six-inch touch-screen, a front-facing camera, d-pad, two bumpers, two triggers, and “possibly more,” according to the site. It can also be used as a Wii sensor bar.

The console will release in late 2012. 01net says another “big surprise” about the console will be revealed at E3.

Thanks, CVG.

hmmm...It does have me concerned about only being a 360+. the ps3 & 360 are HD and now the wii2...err Café, will also be in HD, so the difference in graphics shouldn't be that big of a gap anymore.

Nintendo has other areas to improve upon too, like online.

edit--

new details:
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...33#post1240133
    Last edited by lizard81288; 16th-April-2011 at 03:00.

Thanks

I hope they don't make the face buttons a touch screen

Supreme Warrior Guest

Wonder how fast they can crack this Nintendo System too

and they need to Give it a real controller kinda like the Classic controller.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Whats up with those controller specs? This is going to be extremely expensive!

Thanks

I was hoping Nintendo would at least future proof it. . . By the time the next PS and Xbox are gunna be announced, the R700 is gonna look pretty dated. (It already is looking a tad bit dated. )

Obviously, Ema Skye is hawt. And kickass.
    Mikuru needs a gentleman!

Thanks
    EP Points

new details:

Confirmed: Nintendo's new console will be at E3 2011

Confirmed by IGN Gameinformer and other sites, Nintendo will pre-announcement at the end of the month. The console will dispovel at E3 2011 days on June 7.

Some details revealed:

1 - The console is more powerful than the PlayStation 3.
    2 - Publishers are developing games for it.
    3 - The new console is compatible with the Wii software.
    4 - Nintendo will unveil the new console at E3 in June 2011.
    5 - It will support resolutions (QFHD) Quad Full High Definition, but early games will be 1080p only.
    6 - You have a new control with with two analogs and Full HD screen touch.
    7 - Full support for new: Unreal Engine 3 and CryEngine 3 Frostbite Engine 3.

Cover news sites IGN, Gameinformer and others.

Sources: Ign, Gameinformer.

[Update]

IGN's news director Jim Reilly just dropped a few bits of new information on the new Nintendo system's controller.

This new information came via Reilly's Twitter account. His first tweet said "There will be first and third party 'Wii 2' games at E3. No clue if they'll be playable."

This was quickly followed by two more updates, "Dual analog sticks on the controller. Can stream game content from the console. Not sure if it'll be full games, mini-games, or apps." and "New Nintendo controller allows players to stream entire games to the device from the console -- like a miniature television."

When some of his followers questioned the validity of the claims he responded, "No, I'm not trolling. Calm down. If it's on the site it's legit info we heard."

We checked the last update to the IGN story, and it echoed his comments about the game streaming to the controller, but did not mention the dual analog sticks or "Wii 2" games being at E3. We'll keep an eye out for further updates.

[Original Story]

In the hours following our story confirming the existence of a new Nintendo console boasting high definition graphics, the rumor floodgates have opened. Numerous news outlets and website have published their own reports from unnamed sources in the game industry, each with slightly different intel. We've sifted through all the stories and have summarized them in this Rumor Roundup.

The Hardware
    Most of today's information comes from an article published on the French website 01net.com via a story on Develop Online. As Destructoid notes, 01net was also the first to break the story on Sony's NGP handheld in advance of that announcement. The 01net story quotes a "very reliable" source who claims to have inside information on the technology powering Nintendo's next console. The original article was published in French, but user on the popular Gaming Age forums translated it and posted a bullet point summary. The report says the new console is codenamed "Project Cafe" internally and will be revealed at E3 2011. According to the source, the “CPU is a custom IBM PowerPC with three cores, GPU should be an ATI from the R700 family with a shader unit at version 4.1. RAM should be at least 512 MB." These specs are fairly comparable to the Xbox 360's internal architecture, but as Destructoid noted in its report, the 4.1 shader support would be an improvement over the 360's 3.0 shader support. These internal similarities would also make porting titles from the 360 to this new Nintendo console a much simpler process.

Kotaku's sources indicate the new console is powerful than other current-gen systems, but it's unknown if that just refers to the aforementioned improved shader support. IGN's report added one other important tidbit: its unnamed source said the system delivers full 1080p HD resolutions, which is welcome news to HDTV owners. IGN's sources also said that the unit is fully backwards compatible with Wii software. This jibes with Develop's claim that the unit "support[s] all Wii peripherals." French webiste 01net says that GameCube backwardscompatibility is also in the plans.

Kotaku's sources indicate the new console is powerful than other current-gen systems, but it's unknown if that just refers to the aforementioned improved shader support. IGN's report added one other important tidbit: its unnamed source said the system delivers full 1080p HD resolutions, which is welcome news to HDTV owners. IGN's sources also said that the unit is fully backwards compatible with Wii software. This jibes with Develop's claim that the unit "support[s] all Wii peripherals." French webiste 01net says that GameCube backwardscompatibility is also in the plans.

The Controller
    Yesterday, we ran a story based on a CVG report claiming the new Nintendo controller has a built-in HD screen. Today, all reports seem to indicate that the screen is a reality, but there is some question as to whether it's HD or not. The 01net story indicated that there would be a screen, but that it would feature "sub-HD" graphics. However, it said that the screen will be a six-inch "one-touch" (as opposed to multi-touch) touchscreen.

The controller unit has been compared to "iPad with buttons" by Destructoid, but its report stresses that the screen is much less costly and doesn't offer the same level of "power or performance" as the iPad's touchscreen.

More conventional controller inputs surround the touchscreen: a d-pad, L and R bumpers, two triggers, and "possibly more." The unit has a front-facing camera and will also have motion controls. However, the Wii sensor bar has been integrated into the controller, so you would only need the controller itself for Wii remote functions.

The Disc
    Like past Nintendo systems, the console is disc-based. In fact, Blu-ray.com has heard from a source that Nintendo is "considering" using Blu-ray (which Sony helped develop and currently uses in the PlayStation 3) as the system's disc format.

The Future
    While all the above information is unconfirmed, most of the reports we've seen, including our original story, seem to agree on most of the leaked features and specs powering the new Nintendo console. It's extremely likely the unit will be revealed at this year's Nintendo E3 press conference. Most reports seem to concur that Nintendo is targeting a 2012 release, probably a mid-summer release in Japan and later in the year in the U.S. and western territories.

In addition, the 01net source said there was yet another "big surprise" regarding the unit and its feature set that has yet to leak, but refused to reveal it. In any case, these next few months look to be very interesting for Nintendo fans.

We'd like to reiterate that Nintendo has not released any official word on the new console, or confirmed any of our or other media outlet's report. There is often a "feeding frenzy" mentality that develops in the wake of a story of this magnitude, so it's entirely likely that at least some of the claims being presented are either wrong or significantly distorted.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

This just in the cafe' will be able to give the family a whole new gaming experience like non other,
    this new system will be so revolutionary that it will even dispense coffee while your playing.

Would you like some more cappuccino while you play Mario Party 20?

Thanks

Gosh darn, faster than the PS3?! Thank goodness, the Wii wasn't even faster than an Xbox. Now I am satisfied. THIS IS EXCITING ME

Thanks
    EP Points

With specs and features like that, the console should only cost about $900

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    Oh my God, I hope the launch won't be like the PS3. So here's this giant enemy spider. . .

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by johnxfire View Post
    Gosh darn, faster than the PS3?! Thank goodness, the Wii wasn't even faster than an Xbox. Now I am satisfied. THIS IS EXCITING ME
    It may not have been "faster," than many other things, but it played all of its games at full speed afaik. My parent's old Windows 95 Desktop played DOS games at killer rates; yes, a whole 333mhz. This would only be relevant or useful information if you were trying to run PS3 games on it.

Im am actually considering buying one on this information alone. As long as it doesn't exceed $300 at release, Ill bite (Sadly unlikely). I very rarely play my Wii though...

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    Magic doesn't come cheap, now does it?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

If this thing actually was to dispense coffee as well, I might would actually consider the $900.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    It may not have been "faster," than many other things, but it played all of its games at full speed afaik. My parent's old Windows 95 Desktop played DOS games at killer rates; yes, a whole 333mhz. This would only be relevant or useful information if you were trying to run PS3 games on it.

Im am actually considering buying one on this information alone. As long as it doesn't exceed $300 at release, Ill bite (Sadly unlikely). I very rarely play my Wii though...

Magic doesn't come cheap, now does it?
    True, but at least now we know it won't be such a slouch with graphics. One less thing for haters to hate.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I would like to see what in the hell people would use the front faced cameras on their controllers for.

Nintendo's Philosophy 1990's: Let's make systems that are a lot of fun for all gamers alike and push creativity and functionality to the limit.
    Nintendo's Philosophy Today: We now thought of everything after motion control and 3D so were just going to add cameras, touchscreens, and mics to everything else.

I don't hate Nintendo really, I just think adding annoying peripherals to an already improved system is counter productive to increase revenue.
    Seriously HD screen...on the controller thats gotta be at least more than 50$ right there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Electrona View Post
    I would like to see what in the hell people would use the front faced cameras on their controllers for.

Nintendo's Philosophy 1990's: Let's make systems that are a lot of fun for all gamers alike and push creativity and functionality to the limit.
    Nintendo's Philosophy Today: We now thought of everything after motion control and 3D so were just going to add cameras, touchscreens, and mics to everything else.

I don't hate Nintendo really, I just think adding annoying peripherals to an already improved system is counter productive to increase revenue.
    Seriously HD screen...on the controller thats gotta be at least more than 50$ right there.
    True, that. Hopefully it'll have SOME use. . . Or they'll take it out in the final release.