Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning to get a 360 this weekend...

Thanks

Default Planning to get a 360 this weekend...

...but I'm not sure yet, so I'd like to learn a couple things first. For example I heard that some models can't be modded and some only work with discs burned in a special burner, so I'd like to know which ones those are to make sure I don't get the wrong model. So I guess my first question would be which model should I get?
    Second, I've heard you can also mod the 360 without having to install a chip, so Id like to know if this true, and if so, which method is better/easier/cheaper?
    When it comes do DLC, how does it work with burned games? Does one download them separately like the games, can one buy it/download it normally? The latter also goes for patches/fixes. Or is it impossible to get dlc with burned games?
    On the note of xbl and bans how safe is it play the burned games online?
    I read somewhere else that you need to prepare the games somehow before burning them, so is there a particular process to follow?
    And finally as you can tell Im totally a noob in this, I never had an xbox and have no real experience with online gaming either, my last console was a fat modded ps2 and I pretty much just downloaded the games and burned them, and other than opening it to clean the lens once I never really fiddled it with it myself, so the dlc and online aspect and the differences between using a modded ps2 and a modded 360 are the most confusing aspects for me, so any introduction and basic headlines and things one should know and keep in mind are things Id really like to know.
    Oh and if possible Id really appreciate if someone could take the time to help me answer these questions rather than just posting a link somewhere else telling me to read it, though Id appreciate tutorials and all but Id like to be able to talk to someone about these questions and anything else I might need too, if at all possible. Well anyways, thanks in advance to anyone taking the time to read even if you cant help.

Edit: Oh yes, there was one other thing that did factor in on my decision of getting the 360, though I guess it might be a little out of place to ask in here. I read somewhere that the ps3 is already moddable too, so Id like to know if this is true and how complicated it is in comparison to the 360 since the ps3 does have a couple exclusives I do really want (Heavy Rain, Last Guardian) this ties into my question about some burners allegedly not being working with the 360 too since one of the upsides of the 360, at least for me is that I could just download and burn the games myself whereas with a ps3 even if it was moddable I wouldnt be able to burn bluerays, but if some burners dont work on the 360 then that point would be moot.

Edit2igh, another important thing I forgot, the red ring of death, how common is it? I understand once it appears it cant be recovered, so, is there any way to help prevent it? I hear the new models dont suffer from it, but then those are the ones I heard couldnt be modded either...
    Last edited by teufel; 1st-April-2011 at 11:41.

Thanks
    EP Points

All you need to know about drive flashing:
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. If I were you I'd get a used arcade/elite/premium model, ask to check the dates and make sure you get one from around early-mid 09. This way you're guaranteed a Jasper board (most reliable of all non-slim motherboards) and you're guaranteed an easily flashable drive. If you read the guide above, and get the age console I mentioned you'll end up with a Liteon 74xxxC or Liteon 83xxxC v1 (extremely easy to flash).

With a flashed drive there is no way to get DLC content for free, you have to just buy it like you normally would.

XBL bans, who knows. There were normally banwaves every year around November but M$ didn't bother last year, so I honestly can't tell you what they're planning.

To burn 360 games you just need a DVD+R DL capable burner, ImgBurn and a pack of DVD+R DL which are extremely cheap nowadays.

PS3 modding is a lot easier, all you need is a PS3 with 3.55 OFW, then you install 3.55 CFW and bob's your uncle. Games go onto the internal hard drive via FTP or onto an external hard drive formatted in FAT32. Only downside is you can't play online like you can with the 360.

Thanks

Well first of all thank you for replying. I hope you wont mind if I ask a few more questions.
    Id like to get an used one too, but I haven't seen any used models that I can buy on credit around here, which is the only way I can get one right now, unfortunately. But I will try to get an elite model from around that time, assuming there were any in stock or the equivalent of recent years anyways.
    Im still installing the reader for that file so I haven't read the tutorial yet, but I will as soon as it finsihes, in the meantime, I assume its an alternative method to getting a modchip, right? Could you tell me the pros and cons of each one?
    On the same line, you mentioned that with a flashed drive theres no way to DLC for free, so, is there a different method that allows one to get it for free? And also, does that mean the flashed drive allows one to buy DLC for burned games without problems?
    I went to ask around on some commerces today and the only one who seemed to know what he was talking about mentioned that with a modchip you might get banned just for getting DLC for a burned game, and it was in fact more dangerous than just playing on XBL.
    Im not too concerned about the XBL bans since I dont really play online much, and I dont plan to pay for the gold in order to, but in case the console came with free months of XBL gold or, more importantly, on the matter of buying DLC off of XBL marketplace and downloading patches/fixes for the game I was concerned it would get me banned and make it impossible to get DLC for future games or use the free gold time. Mostly the DLC though, like I said Im not a big fan of online gaming. Also on one of the places I asked they said that if you tried playing burned games on xbl you got the whole console locked down, but the guy didnt see realiable, like, at all so just wnated to confirm that.
    Thats good to know about any burner working, Ill just need to download ImgBurn, and unfortunately get the DLs, they are still kinda expensive over here, sadly.
    I am actually pretty surprised that PS3 modding is easier, though the part about being unable to burn the games does seem bothersome, as does not being able to play online since its one of the upsides I saw the ps3 having over the 360.
    Lastly just a few things, other than trying to get an early-mid 09 model, is there any model I should avoid? I think I read the newest slim model cant be modded but Im not sure if its true, so Id like to know what models not to get. Likewise for the red ring of death, thats a big concern since I wouldnt like my new console to die on me, so how bad is the danger?
    Well if you, or anyone else can help me answer those questions Id appreciate it, in the meantime Adobe reader is installed so Ill check the tutorial, thanks again.

Thanks
    EP Points

There are no modchips. There are two 360 mods:

1. Flashed drive, this can be achieved in various ways, the closest thing to a modchip for a 360 DVD-ROM drive is an "LT Switch" which just puts the 83v2 and 93 drives into FW read/write mode, so you can flash the drive. Modchips are a thing of the past these days. Playing online with burned games is fine, playing online with originals on a flashed drive is fine, buying DLC for a burned game is fine. Just bear in mind it's very possible you'll be banned from Live (console, not gamertag). My 360 has been on Live since May last year when I got it and flashed it. It's a Jasper arcade board with 512MB internal memory and a LiteOn 83v1 DVD drive which has been flashed with LT 1.1 and then LT+ 1.0 when it was released.

2. JTAG, this method requires an Xbox running the dashboard 7371 or lower, which is about 2 years old now, so you need an ancient console which has most likely died in the past and been badly repaired. Although there are JTAG'd Jaspers out there they're very expensive. JTAGs let you do everything except play on Xbox Live; while you can go on Live your JTAG will be banned within 2 hours. JTAGs can play XBLA games, DLC, any region game, games from internal HDD, games from external HDD (fat32), use custom dashboards, run homebrew, etc. Whereas a flashed system can only play games from burned DVD+R DL and play on Xbox Live...
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...G-related-info

If you get a Jasper it'll be a very reliable system, but it's inevitable that it will eventually die...

Also the slims aren't flashable.

Thanks

First of all: DO NOT MOD YOUR CONSOLE.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If you aren't going to help teufel, I suggest keeping your mouth shut.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by rolefe View Post
    First of all: DO NOT MOD YOUR CONSOLE.
    Fuck off you idiot. If you've got nothing to add to the MODDING discussion, don't add anything at all.

Thanks

Well I already got the 360 and I already got it modded, its running very well too, and I did actually get a used 2009 red colored resident evil 5 model, not sure what kind of mod it got though, I just had it modded at a different place and I didnt get to ask which method they were using, I just wasnt confident enough in opening it to mod it myself right after buying it to be honest. But anyways, thank you so much for all the help inferno, and thank you for the support too jazzmarazz.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by teufel View Post
    Well I already got the 360 and I already got it modded, its running very well too, and I did actually get a used 2009 red colored resident evil 5 model, not sure what kind of mod it got though, I just had it modded at a different place and I didnt get to ask which method they were using, I just wasnt confident enough in opening it to mod it myself right after buying it to be honest. But anyways, thank you so much for all the help inferno, and thank you for the support too jazzmarazz.
    Hopefully LT+.

One thing I never mentioned, ABGX360. Run your games through it set to level 3 autofix before putting them in your console.

Thanks

Well, they guy at the store did say they were using the newest one, so yeah, hopefully, but after not sleeping for a fully day and spending the whole day out Ill admit I wasnt really all that interested in asking any more questions as long as I got it modded and working.
    I already burned my first game actually, and it did mention in the torrent it had been run trough abg, but Ill try and run the next ones trough it too, thanks for the heads up.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by teufel View Post
    I already burned my first game actually
    Successfully I hope?

Thanks

Oh yes, Tales of Vesperia runs great, thank you.

Thanks
    EP Points

do not mod your xbox 360..... you will get banned on xbox live and it will bring a lot of headaches

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by jamallego View Post
    do not mod your xbox 360..... you will get banned on xbox live and it will bring a lot of headaches
    Do you want me to ban you from here as well?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Im not banned.
    Oh wait, live sucks balls so I have never connected!