Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Game art styles or level design you enjoy

Thanks

Yoshi's island

*diabetes*

Thanks

Okami, that exactly kind of art, very very very strong Japanese-theme style.

Vanillaware is best known for art, SO AWESOME. Especially in the game: Muramasa: The Demon Blade - I enjoyed it so much.

Oh right right I forgot to add: ALL Shin Megami Tensei SERIES! FUCKING EPIC ARTWORKS.
    Last edited by dJeyL; 22nd-March-2011 at 03:13.

Thanks

I'm an art student, and my personal style/preference is vector art, and the use of color. So with that said - most, if not all of the Shin Megami Tensei series: Specifically Persona 3/4 (the menu interface and the overall design is phenomenal), and Devil Summoner 2 - from the art work to the design of the level up screen - it's just simply beautiful. I also enjoyed Muramasa's art, and I really dig the art direction that de Blob took.

Actually, anything that Atlus puts out is generally awesome looking in my eyes - I LOVE Trauma Center's art style as well.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

That is a tough topic for me to answer clearly because things like genre and system come into play but I guess I'll go with overall. Well lately I have been favoring the artwork in some DS titles. I don't know if it is the creativity of the selection function or the feel of being one foot in the door of the new generation and still having the other in the old. The concept art for most rpg titles are very amusing to me and then of course games like Shadow of the Colossus, which spoke to me more as a display of interactive art than a videogame and that gives me an entirely different feeling while I'm playing it.

Thanks
    EP Points

+1 on Ape Escape Kermit, that game was sweet.

Mirror's Edge really tickled my fancy, that game was awesome in both art style and gameplay. (as long as you ignore the misplaced esurance commercials placed between levels)

And lets not forget Earthworm Jim, i practically get a boner from that games art.

Thanks

katamari damacy, wario ware and hot pixel as well as half minute hero and all the bit trip games and pix n love rush have great art design as well.
    i also loved the art direction from the metal slug series and mushihime sama.
    and last but not least i liked the enemy and character design from the ninja gaiden games.

and to owly: dont worry, hapens to all of us.

Thanks

Kermit Da Frog
    Love me some Ape Escape art.
    I still find the bright colors and style attractive to this day. I also have a habbit of listening to the original games soundtrack for hours at a time while drawing, etc. There are some real gems there.

TheGreatZio
    How about artwork and animated cutscenes from working designs (best rpg company ever) too bad they closed doors....
    Been a fan of those cutscenes since Cosmic Fantasy 2 for the TG16/Duo days.
    By far one of my favorite importers.

Kuro Kagami
    I like the art of Koudelka and Shadow Hearts series
    Never heard of Koudelka till now. When I looked it up I thought for sure I was looking at a PS2 title, but as you know it's PSX. I'm going to download it right now.

skullpoker
    The level design of Dungeons & Dragons Online ...
    A big part of the reason I started this thread as I constantly stumble across the artwork on various sites.

Shareware
    Yoshi's island
    I purchased the N64 back in the day only after seeing the style of Yoshi's Story. Forgot all about it. Going to download an N64 emulator and that game right now. Thanks for reminding me.

sockesocke
    ...hot pixel as well as half minute hero and all the bit trip games and pix n love rush have great art design as well.
    i also loved the art direction from the metal slug series and mushihime sama.
    Never heard of any of these till now. I like them all. Mushihime Sama as it turns out has been one of my favorite styles that you folks have introduced me to, along with Magna Carta, and Neptunia. But all of these recomendations have been more than I hoped for. I feel like I got some inspiration back.

It's probably lame to keep thanking everyone again and again, so just know that it's appreciated...and keep posting please.
    Last edited by retrofiber; 22nd-March-2011 at 13:16.

Thanks

Just a heads up - Yoshi's Island isn't a N64 title; Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island is a SNES title. Yoshi's Story is for the N64. It was re-released for the Gameboy Advance, though.

I'd also like to bring up Geometry Wars/Super Laser Racer/Rez and Tron: Evolution: Battle Grids -I love that awesome light energy art style.
    Last edited by IceCatraz; 22nd-March-2011 at 17:08. Reason: Updating.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IceCatraz View Post
    Just a heads up - Yoshi's Island isn't a N64 title; Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island is a SNES title. Yoshi's Story is for the N64. It was re-released for the Gameboy Advance, though.

I'd also like to bring up Geometry Wars/Super Laser Racer/Rez and Tron: Evolution: Battle Grids -I love that awesome light energy art style.
    I'd also like to point out that Yoshi's Island was WAAAAAY better than Yoshi's Story. I expected Yoshi's Island 2, while what I got was nothing like it. The graphic style is similar, though.

Thanks
    EP Points

Usually music has a bigger effect, but games like Dragon Quest 8 are amazing art wise. I'm kind of curious about Skyward sword's graphics. I've seen pics but I think a realtime video will be better at determining if the realish graphics and toonish graphics will meld together.

Three more days until Party time!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'm quite fond of the art in NWN 1 and 2. I even like the art (graphical design as well) for a lot of western games I've never played because the focus is usually on realism.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IceCatraz View Post
    I realize Yoshi story and Island are for different systems. I was simply reminded of one by the other. To be honest I never played Yoshi's Island
    and barely played Yoshi's Story due to a bad vhf connection(that only the N64 seemed to suffer from), I just remember liking the graphics.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by retrofiber View Post
    I realize Yoshi story and Island are for different systems. I was simply reminded of one by the other. To be honest I never played Yoshi's Island
    and barely played Yoshi's Story due to a bad vhf connection(that only the N64 seemed to suffer from), I just remember liking the graphics.
    I'm a proud papa of a YI cart.

Thanks

to retrofiber: you never heard of metal slug before?
    its one of the most popular arcade game ever, but if you were talking about the first line from my quote then im not surprised, those are relatively unknown games.
    since you asked for level design as well i will mention mirrors edge and the castlevania games, those games have some of the best level desing ive ever seen.
    what i liked most about mushihime sama were the enemies, most shmups feature mechanic looking enemies, thats why all the insects in mushihime made a lasting impression on me, especially the boss from the 4th level is one of the best bosses ive ever seen in a video game.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I LOVE SnK's style of graphics. The Neo Geo was a 2D Powerhouse of a machine, and the stuff on there is incredible, and always had its own unique style. But then again, Most companies did. If you just look at old arcade games, a lot of the time you could tell who made it just by looking at one gameplay screenshot of the game.

Although my favourite SNK graphics must be the King Of Fighters Styled street fighter characters from snk vs capcom. Familer, yet grittyier than normal. Awesome stuff.