View Poll Results: Do publishers rush developers?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I think it ruins the game industry (specify why and give examples below)

2 20.00%
  • Often, with some exceptions (name exceptions and give examples below)

7 70.00%
  • Rarely, with some exceptions (name exceptions and give examples)

0 0%
  • No they don`t/ I don`t care/ I don`t notice.

1 10.00%

Thread: Publisher`s rush developers

Thanks

Default Publisher`s rush developers

Just want to know what you guys think of publishers and developers, if thry are rushing developers, that jazz.

I said often, with some exceptions (nothing comes to mind at the moment.)

Some examples include Guitar Hero, Assassins Creed and CoD.
    Last edited by Miss Piggy; 8th-March-2011 at 20:07.
    I can't believe I got the admins to give me a Sesame Street username.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It definatly happens quite a bit, Say COD for example, it needs a new one every year, and the publisher pushes way to hard, and the games end up Boring as hell. True, The multiplayer is where its at really for those games, but the singleplayer suffers heavily because of it.

Although, on the flipside of the coin, not enough pressure, and you get a Duke Nukem Forever Fiasco.

This never happened in the old days, the industry has gotten too big in many ways, and is forcing practices like these.

And its all Sony's Fault.

Its the main reason i love independant games. No publisher hastles, and you get some really innovative games come out of it. Recently, i have been hooked on a game called Nimbus. Bizzare little Puzzle game, but great fun.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trencej View Post
    Its the main reason i love independant games. No publisher hastles, and you get some really innovative games come out of it. Recently, i have been hooked on a game called Nimbus. Bizzare little Puzzle game, but great fun.
    *cough cough* Minecraft *cough*
    I can't believe I got the admins to give me a Sesame Street username.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mega-death1 View Post
    *cough cough* Minecraft *cough*
    That, and a nice little indie game I discovered recently called Interstellar Marines. You should take a look at it, they have a pretty nice gameplay demo on their website.

Thanks
    EP Points

Command & Conquer 4 is a stellar example of publishers rushing developers. C&C4 was never even meant to be a mainstream title, but an online-only experiment. Then EA came along and decided that it made more business sense to slap a 4 on it and sell it as mainstream. We all know how well THAT went.

I think some developers don't feel overly rushed by their publishers (at least not unreasonably rushed) but specific examples fail to come to mind

Thanks
    EP Points

halo reach seemed pushed, and the fact that they promised it would be kinnect ready. also, it seems like every big game seems kinda rushed when you think about it especially ones with shitty endings your like "what the fuck how did that happen?"

Thanks

Most of these "pushed" titles are by studios that are having MILLIONS of dollars thrown at them by studios.

In the case of Call of Duty, the problem isn't that they are being rushed, it's that they have no time to QA properly when they have to be ready to ship the game in 12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaVesko View Post
    That, and a nice little indie game I discovered recently called Interstellar Marines. You should take a look at it, they have a pretty nice gameplay demo on their website.
    That's the browser based space shooter right?

Thanks

I agree it is mostly by the big companies. EA for example.
    I have not played Dragons Age 2 yet but my freind says it was obviously rushed. Alot of reused maps plus the fact the DLC came out the next day. 2 of them I believe. That tacks on about 15 more dollars to a 60 dollar game.

I think they rush it because they know people will buy the DLC.
    Last edited by Solbadude; 12th-March-2011 at 01:55.
    Practice does not make perfect, it makes permanent.

Thanks

The reason of many movie-based games sucks it's because of that. They need rush the development of the game to release together with the movie. Like the three firsts Lord of the Rings games, and some other games based on movie/books series, like Harry Potter, Narnia, etc. Even Super Heroes movies and they respective games. Some of these games are pretty decent, but, it could be better.

Like Star Wars, there so many good Star Wars games arround here. Why? Because the movies series already end, and the developers can take the time they need to develop the game. Note this: good LotR games came out when the movies series end.

Thanks

I voted for "Often, with some exceptions." Two recent releases that come to mind are Fable III and Rock Band 3. Fable III seemed even buggier than the previous one and the second half of the game was crap. Most of the glitches I encountered involved NPCs (including the dog) getting stuck on random objects or important NPCs glitching in a way that it becomes impossible to progress (this happened only once when I played). As for Rock Band 3, there were many reports of glitches and copies of the game freezing randomly. I even experienced some of these issues, including sustained notes on the keys not registering in Practice Mode and loading screens hanging for a long time, but these issues were fixed through a patch. When it comes to games that aren't rushed, Borderlands is the only example I can currently think of.