Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emulating PSP games on PC - getting started with JPCSP

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Emulating PSP games on PC - getting started with JPCSP

If you're reading this, you're probably interested in emulating PSP games on your PC. Currently, the best available emulator for this is JPCSP.

Stuff to know before you start reading (2012 06 28): I stopped paying attention to PSP emulation quite a while ago, and therefore haven't updated this guide in months. So certain things might be out of date.

Here's a General FAQ that covers most of the basics. I'm going to touch on some of the more important bits later.

System Requirements

Minimum
    • Windows 32bit or 64bit / Linux 32bit or 64bit / Mac OSX
    • CPU: Pentium 4 and up
    • GPU: Any graphic card supporting OpenGL 2.0 and up
    • 1GB RAM

Recommended

• Windows Vista / Windows 7 (use Jpcsp 32bit even on 64bit OS to have sound and video support)
    • CPU: Dual core @ 2.5 GHz
    • GPU: Always install the latest drivers
    • 2GB RAM or more

(Source)

Please note that this does not guarantee that every single game will run at full speed.

Getting started

You can get the official build of the emulator from here. Much like in the case of Dolphin, however, new and updated revisions are released periodically. These usually contain certain fixes and tweaks not present in earlier versions like the official one, and may be more compatible, or even run certain games faster. Get them from here:

The latest JPCSP builds

Important: to be able to run JPCSP, you'll need the latest Java Runtime Environment installed.

You can run JPCSP by clicking on the .bat file in the emulator's folder, which should look something like "start-windows-x86.bat" in the case of the x86 version. Alternatively, you can just download JPCSP Launcher and run it with a simple JPCSP.exe (and the "Run" button afterwards).

SonicStage and OpenMG installers (special thanks to Shardnax):
    Sonic Stage
    OpenMG

Compatibility

To see which games work on JPCSP, check out the forums and compatibility lists here:

Commercial Game Discussion - JPCSP Official Forums
    (Or the easy way: Google "[game's name] emunewz". That's it, really.)

PSP Emulators Compatibility List

Running games on JPCSP

To be able to play your games, you'll first need to copy your .iso or .cso to the "umdimages" folder found in the JPCSP main folder. Then simply run JPCSP, and go to File/Load UMD. Click on your game in the list, then click "Load". After this you should be able to run your game with the "Run" button (next to Pause and Reset).

Note: Newer versions of the emulator have an option called "Enable saving GE screen to Textures instead of Memory" under the Video tab in the Config menu. This might drastically improve your framerate, so give it a try if your game is too slow. Another possible solution if the previous option doesn't work: "ONLY GE graphics (not recommended for homebrew)" might also give a framerate boost (pointed out by treos).

Some common problems:

- When booting up your game, you might see something like this with a "this is a faked MPEG video" message. To be able to play videos (such as opening cinematics, CG cutscenes and such), you'll have to boot up JPCSP, go to Options -> Configuration and tick the "Use Media Engine" option under the Media tab. To have sound/music in said videos, tick "Decode audio files with SonicStage". For this, you'll obviously need to have SonicStage installed.
    Note: As far as I know, the Media Engine does not work on x64 builds, so you'll just have to use the x86 ones for now.

- In some games, resizing the default JPCSP window might result in messed up graphics.

Important: If this guide hasn't answered your question(s) and you're planning to create a thread asking for help, please read this and try to follow the guidelines listed under "Emulation". Thanks!
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 14th-September-2013 at 10:39. Reason: compatibility list replaced

Thanks

OMG I want to get this working soooo baaaad. But I have to wait until I upgrade my laptop. It's got a P4 chip but only 400 something ram. I WILL be paying this page another visit in the future!

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, many games already work without major problems, but you probably won't be getting decent speeds. Especially on a laptop. Those minimum requirements are really the bare minimum at the moment.

And create a separate thread if you have any questions in the future. It's there in big, yellow letters.
    Last edited by Gare; 7th-April-2011 at 10:33.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Well, many games already work without major problems, but you probably won't be getting decent speeds. Especially on a laptop. Those minimum requirements are really the bare minimum at the moment.

And create a separate thread if you have any questions in the future. It's there in big, yellow letters.
    I'm colorblind. What yellow letters?

Thanks

Wow. Thanks, I was having some much problems emulating psp. Now I can play 3rd Birthday ><

Thanks

Jpcsp not running on my windows 7
    please help me..

Thanks
    EP Points

Also: Please do not post any questions in this thread. Make a separate thread in Sony systems subforum instead. This thread is only kept open so I can keep editing/updating it if needed (since only staff members can edit locked threads).
    Quote Originally Posted by niki952 View Post
    Jpcsp not running on my windows 7
    please help me..
    can you not read what it says at the top in big yellow letters do not post in this thread create a new thread in the sony forum
    *Computer Specs*
    Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
    Processor: AMD FX 8350 Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.1GHz
    Memory: 16GB RAM
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 8GB GDDR5

If You Find My Help Useful In Any Way Please Click Thanks.
    Bennieboi's Question Of The Day (now defunct)

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bennieboi20 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

sorry ,,
    i don't read it

Thanks

Compatibility

To see which games work on JPCSP, check out the forums and compatibility lists here:

Commercial Game Discussion - JPCSP Official Forums

JPCSP - Compatibility List [Commercial Games] (Part 1)
    JPCSP - Compatibility List [Commercial Games] (Part 2)
    umm, the links dont seem to work..
    would be great to see that list as i just downloaded a game that dosent run.
    thanks!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by tyrian View Post
    umm, the links dont seem to work..
    would be great to see that list as i just downloaded a game that dosent run.
    thanks!
    the site is down It's not just you! http://www.emunewz.net looks down from here. (source isup.me)
    also next time post a thread in comments suggestions and broken links read the yellow letters at the top
    Last edited by Bennieboi20; 11th-September-2011 at 19:49.
    *Computer Specs*
    Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
    Processor: AMD FX 8350 Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.1GHz
    Memory: 16GB RAM
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 8GB GDDR5

If You Find My Help Useful In Any Way Please Click Thanks.
    Bennieboi's Question Of The Day (now defunct)

Thanks

thanks im going to try this out on my laptop
    LINK REMOVED - WAREZ

Thanks

I'll try it thanks bro for your hard work

Thanks

thanks buddy

Thanks

thx for the guide bro!

umm....stop askin question, i had dinophobia !!
    Thanks

yea i've trying to play JPSP sometime ago and its need that JRE things which like ext for runs JPSP...and make sure download the right bit because like my previous unupgraded PC the bit not compactible...if bit and JRE already fit with your JPSP requirement and follow the step above..you surely could play PSP games,but still Gare was right JPSP games still rather not compactible enough with today PC especially windows,
    so dont be sad actuall PSP aint cost so much patience to gather the money to buy hehehe because some of my fave games in PSP couldnt be run in JPSP which is makes me sad