Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: what does everyone miss about the old days of gaming?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by trencej View Post
    Amen Brother.

You can see the industry is taking notice too, what with all the retro games collections, remakes, and reimaginings of old games that are abundant these days.

Two of my favorite games of this generation are Super street fighter 2 HD remix, And Pacman CE. Both great games, And both originally, very old.

(just as an aside, i keep seeing people speedtest.net sigs. Is the internet really that slow in america?)
    Depends on the area I guess, there are still places in the UK with piss poor connections due to not using fibre optics.

Also, agreed on missing the cracktros, there were still a few in the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube days but they're gone completely from console games now, as messing with a game's code makes it not usable online. (At least for the 360 anyway.)

Thanks

Someone more than likely posted this, but I think I'll go ahead and throw it out there.

If this counts for anything, arcade gaming. I miss actually going to an arcade, popping in a few quarters and playing a few rounds of SFII or TMNT IV. It always seemed more satisfying than playing on an actual home console. Meh.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SharinganLust View Post
    Someone more than likely posted this, but I think I'll go ahead and throw it out there.

If this counts for anything, arcade gaming. I miss actually going to an arcade, popping in a few quarters and playing a few rounds of SFII or TMNT IV. It always seemed more satisfying than playing on an actual home console. Meh.
    I second this. I tried going to this fun place, which has arcade games, but none of the arcade games looked pleasing. The last time I actually popped in a quarter to play an arcade game that I enjoyed was probably a few years ago.

Thanks
    EP Points

What I miss most about the old days is being able to play without annoying tutorials, I mean what the hell? why won't you let me learn anything on my own like in the old days?

and yeah arcades were and they're still awesome, at least they're still big on japan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Invidente7 View Post
    What I miss most about the old days is being able to play without annoying tutorials, I mean what the hell? why won't you let me learn anything on my own like in the old days?
    I must admit, this is probably one of my only legitimate gripes these days. I hate hand-holding in my games with an extreme passion.

Thanks

I miss the challenge of learning and doing so by means of utter failure over and over lol. the NES days were tough times but games took skill. These days pressing [X] or [A] can get you mostly anywhere. Lots of glitz and glamor, great story, open ended and non-linear games galore these days, which is great but I miss the good old days

/me sheds a tear and hacks his PSP
    /me grins
    /me wipes away tear
    /me smiles and he plays Contra
    /me dies... All is well in the world lol

Thanks

I miss the fresh feel of those games, they were all new and shiny, but nowadays shootoffs of games are flying around everywhere. i miss the simple classics

Thanks

what i miss most about old games is the fact that back then they were... new
    back in those days nobody was so critical of the games that were released, nowadays people worry so much about if the game "raises the bar" or if it has an original concept, back then they were all original and if it was 3d, it was great

Supreme Warrior Guest

what i miss is back in the day, Grafixs did not matter, now everyone just has to have a PS3 ect.
    I still highly enjoy Classic 2D , the old ways of gaming are still Alive, prolly why i love my DS so much

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Krisan Thyme View Post
    I must admit, this is probably one of my only legitimate gripes these days. I hate hand-holding in my games with an extreme passion.
    I second that statement. Hell, most of my favorite games hardly even tell you the story -- they basically put you down in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, expect that you read the manual so that you know what's going on, and away you go. None of this "okay, for the first three hours, we're just going to walk nice and slow a-- OMG! Okay, I've paused the game here just for you. You see that big motherfucker? He's going to hurt you. Well, not really... he will have to hit you like twenty times in order to kill you, and if he doesn't hit you for more than 0.05 seconds then all of your health is immediately replenished. But just press that butt-- no, you know what, you'll just fuck it up. I'll press the button myself. THERE YOU GO! Aren't you glad you bought this game for $70? Oh, look, you completed a tutorial. Here, have a trophy."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth View Post
    I second that statement. Hell, most of my favorite games hardly even tell you the story -- they basically put you down in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, expect that you read the manual so that you know what's going on, and away you go. None of this "okay, for the first three hours, we're just going to walk nice and slow a-- OMG! Okay, I've paused the game here just for you. You see that big motherfucker? He's going to hurt you. Well, not really... he will have to hit you like twenty times in order to kill you, and if he doesn't hit you for more than 0.05 seconds then all of your health is immediately replenished. But just press that butt-- no, you know what, you'll just fuck it up. I'll press the button myself. THERE YOU GO! Aren't you glad you bought this game for $70? Oh, look, you completed a tutorial. Here, have a trophy."
    That's exactly what happens XD
    Destiny ∂єѕтιηу ですちんゆ デスティニー
    If you like the advice you receive from someone, don't forget to thank them and press this star at the bottom of the person's post to add to their reputation =]

Thanks

well put. i also concur with this statement wholeheartedly. also "here lets put a tracking beacon on your next checkpoint so you dont have to use your own mental mapping skills".

and yes. i miss seeing FIGHTING games an the friggin arcade.

any arcade still in business around here has nothing but lightgun shooting games (as if thats any less violent) or racing games. and nothing else. any time i step into an arcade lately i take a look around for a tekken or street fighter or mortal kombat game, or even virtua fighter. NOTHING. but it's perfectly ok to grab a gun and shoot at people or zombies or... deer. it's also boring as hell.

same with beatemups. no more final fight or ninja turtles or anything like that. "cuz that teaches kids to hit people... we'd rather teach our kids how much fun it is to play with guns"
    Last edited by frenchfries; 10th-March-2011 at 20:36.

Thanks

Actually, I don't see arcades very often here (since most of them are travelling trailers ), but whenever I see any, more than half of them are fighting games. I've also never seen a lightgun arcade game, didn't think they even had those. O.o

Thanks

you've never heard of Area 51, Virtua Cop, Time crisis, Deer hunter, Dino crisis, Lucky n Wild, Hogans Alley, House of the Dead?

really?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by frenchfries View Post
    you've never heard of Area 51, Virtua Cop, Time crisis, Deer hunter, Dino crisis, Lucky n Wild, Hogans Alley, House of the Dead?

really?
    Don't forget Carnevil =P
    Destiny ∂єѕтιηу ですちんゆ デスティニー
    If you like the advice you receive from someone, don't forget to thank them and press this star at the bottom of the person's post to add to their reputation =]