Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: what does everyone miss about the old days of gaming?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deathzero021 View Post
    i miss... the FUN... oh and platformers. (not to mention arcades and points!)
    Can't say I really miss the arcade and points systems, but I do miss the platformers. A lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Timburger View Post
    Yeap, I miss platformers too. Super Mario Bros., Adventure Island 2, Rockman 5... Oh the nostalgia! They were fun and challenging, mainly because there are no save or auto-save features like we have nowadays. Hell, by the time the Playstation came out I was still playing the NES! Hahaha.
    Fuck. When the PS3 came out, I was still playing my NES. Still do. I think it's got Megaman 3 in it right now.

Thanks

Fuck. When the PS3 came out, I was still playing my NES. Still do. I think it's got Megaman 3 in it right now.
    lmao me too. seeing as i just finally got my hands on an original NES i've had to deal with emulation the whole time! of course, i have had SNES, GENESIS and such since they came out, don't know why it took me so long to get an NES =\

but yeah, defiantly the platformers. platformers were the main genre back then, like how FPS's are today - only platformers left room for more originality and creativity with different characters, enemies, worlds, plots, etc.

Thanks

I miss the button mashing that came with 2D fighting games. Now there's hardly any old school fighters anymore.

Click to hear the objection!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarianoRyu View Post
    I miss the button mashing that came with 2D fighting games. Now there's hardly any old school fighters anymore.
    This doesn't honestly make sense. There's no new old school fighters? What?

If you're saying that fighting games are dead, I say look at Street Fighter 4 and MVC3.

If you're saying that more fighting games need to be 2D, well okay then. It's not like they play any different though, since the gameplay is still strictly on a 2D plane.

Thanks

Soul Calibur, Takken, Virtua Fighter aren't good enough? not to mention Marvel VS Capcom as well.

Thanks

Soul Calibur, Takken, Virtua Fighter aren't good enough? not to mention Marvel VS Capcom as well.
    I said 2D, that was the main idea. I enjoy playing Tekken and Virtua Fighter, but it's not the same as playing Street Fighter II or the original Marvel and Capcom crossovers. And don't get me started on King of Fighters. It all went to hell after 2001.

Thanks

I said 2D, that was the main idea. I enjoy playing Tekken and Virtua Fighter, but it's not the same as playing Street Fighter II or the original Marvel and Capcom crossovers. And don't get me started on King of Fighters. It all went to hell after 2001.
    i actually like the newer fighting games more. they're more complex, so the competition is a lot better. as for 2D, yeah the style is cool but i don't see anything wrong with 3D. i think there are a few 2D fighting games for the NDS.

Thanks

i actually like the newer fighting games more. they're more complex, so the competition is a lot better. as for 2D, yeah the style is cool but i don't see anything wrong with 3D. i think there are a few 2D fighting games for the NDS.
    I don't see anything wrong with 3D either. But I'm a nostalgic person, that's why I miss 2D. Besides I think simple is better, but then again, it's my own opinion.

Thanks

2001 broke KOF. But 2002 fixed it. Then 2003 broke it again, although I personally love 2003.

Thanks

2002 and 2003 were O.K. XI sucked, and I haven't played XII due to not having a PS3 or 360. But the best games were '94, '96, '97, '99 and 2000.

Thanks

2002 and 2003 were O.K. XI sucked, and I haven't played XII due to not having a PS3 or 360. But the best games were '94, '96, '97, '99 and 2000.
    Honestly, compared to XII, XI is gold.

XII sucks so much. The graphics are great, but the gameplay is bleh, and the AI is atrociously awful at its job, even on the hardest difficulty.

XIII, however, looks amazing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shareware View Post
    Honestly, compared to XII, XI is gold.

XII sucks so much. The graphics are great, but the gameplay is bleh, and the AI is atrociously awful at its job, even on the hardest difficulty.

XIII, however, looks amazing.
    And what's worse, XII is a DREAM MATCH.

'96 and 2000 will always be untouchable. Not even 98 Ultimate Match or 2002 Unlimited Match can top their greatness.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

lmao me too. seeing as i just finally got my hands on an original NES i've had to deal with emulation the whole time! of course, i have had SNES, GENESIS and such since they came out, don't know why it took me so long to get an NES =\

but yeah, defiantly the platformers. platformers were the main genre back then, like how FPS's are today - only platformers left room for more originality and creativity with different characters, enemies, worlds, plots, etc.
    My NES is still running wonderfully, 20 years later.
    Kind of wish I hadn't sold off most of my collection to pay for baby stuffs. It was getting pretty fuckhuge, I have to admit. My NES still gets the most play out of all the systems in my house (PSX, PS3, SNES, Genesis, N64, Gamecube, and plethora of handhelds). I boot it up about three times a week, minimum.

I agree, though, platformers were the shit. I've never had more fun than I do playing old-school platformer games. I don't know why, because while the worlds and enemies and whatnot could change, everything else was very formulaic. Run, jump, attack, die, repeat until you can beat the level without getting hit or dying. Onto the next level.

Then again, some of them were also so difficult that it's become a point of pride to attempt to beat them, now. Like Battletoads, and Ninja Gaiden. And Shadow of the Ninja, although I haven't dedicated nearly enough time to that one to actually figure out just how difficult it is. And the original three Castlevania's -- although, to be honest, I haven't given Simon's Quest too much attention, because I just can't quite get into it. But it took me damn close to 15 years to beat Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, and when I did I was oh-so-proud. (Fucking Medusa Heads)

Thanks

Then again, some of them were also so difficult that it's become a point of pride to attempt to beat them, now. Like Battletoads, and Ninja Gaiden. And Shadow of the Ninja, although I haven't dedicated nearly enough time to that one to actually figure out just how difficult it is. And the original three Castlevania's -- although, to be honest, I haven't given Simon's Quest too much attention, because I just can't quite get into it. But it took me damn close to 15 years to beat Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, and when I did I was oh-so-proud. (Fucking Medusa Heads)
    lol i found CV3 to be way easier then the first Castlevania - fighting Dracula in the end... man... still brings nightmares to me lol. Dracula in CV3 was funner and more interesting but it was easier, which i liked.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

lol i found CV3 to be way easier then the first Castlevania - fighting Dracula in the end... man... still brings nightmares to me lol. Dracula in CV3 was funner and more interesting but it was easier, which i liked.
    I was the exact opposite, and I don't know why. I had no trouble with the first one, but found the third one to be the most difficult. Then again, when I started playing the third one, I was about... 5 years old. And the first time I played the first one was when I was 15. So I'm sure a lot of my childhood tactics are getting in my way.

I really want to boot those games up now. Hmm. I should see if I can get my NES hooked up through my EasyCAP for some LP works. NES GAMES WITHOUT SAVE STATES, BITCHES! (I'm looking at you, Ray. )