Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite video game challenge?

It's not where you are, but where you've been that matters
    Thanks

Default What's your favorite video game challenge?

Title says pretty much all of it. To any of the more hardcore gamers out there, do you have any favorite 'game challenges' you'd like to share? What I mean by game challenge essentially is some way that you play the game differently than normal, or a mode you play to make it harder or more interesting. Such as low level, solo character, no damage, hard mode, etc.

Even though they can be quite frustrating I like to attempt them from time to time. Right now i'm trying a low level game, but I patched it so the enemies are all twice as strong to make it a truely badass challenge. Share any challenges you have done or are doing, talk about ones you want to try, suggest a challenge, or discuss your questions/comments on challenges here.

Thanks

Play Mgs3, on hardest difficulty, useing nothing but the knife(or fork), M1911 Pistol, hand to hand and the Mk.22 for weapons. No life med, no fake death pill/revive pill(with the exception of fighting the sorrow), and earn the achievement FOXHOUND. Try that.
    I can't believe I got the admins to give me a Sesame Street username.

Thanks

the only game where i went out of my way to do something special was beautiful katamari. my first goal was to get into the top 10 online leaderboards for total size rolled up. i got to the 8th place then stopped since it was too much work. i also managed to speedrun the game in 45 minutes.

Thanks
    EP Points

i dont really play hardcore games, but the most interesting thing i did was fly under bridges in gta4, though unlike everyone else i flew under all of them with the biggest helicopter there is, the annilator. took me five minutes to do that bridge only a few feet above the water but i did it. the annoying one was the bridge you had to fly under at a certain angle which was a pain. i found them all without a walkthrough.

Thanks

- Infinite mode of Who's That Flying *PSP*
    - Hard mode of Contra: Alien Wars *SNES*
    - Titan Mode in God of War 3 *PS3*
    - DDR Extreme The Legend Road in Challenge Mode *Arcade*

Thanks

Newer games just don't seen that challenging anymore. they can be hard and cunning, but what I really like is the early Sega / Nintendo platformers and shooters. I sometimes like to make my own challenge, like on Super Mario Bros. 3, I like to just go through the game, just beat every level and don't skip any. It takes a couple of hours and when Koopa falls, you feel like you've accomplished something. I guess my Favorite Challenge is to play NightmareMode in Quake 1, PC version, with my Gamepad set up just the way I like it. I also like challenging mods for nes/snes roms (particulary Super Mario Bros. 1). If you really want a challenge, try some NeoGeo roms in Console mode, not the early ones with infinity continues, but the fighters (Garou-Mark of the Wolves. to name one) and nearly ANY Konami, Capcom, or Taito game.

Thanks
    EP Points

playing ffx with just items to attack. idk i saw someone on youtube do it and it looked like a good honest challenge, and it is. also when i was in halo reach, i played on legendary and made the enemies alot stronger and made my bullets do nothing to them and put alot of hunters in it (it was that one free battle mode). it was fun.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garrendesares View Post
    playing ffx with just items to attack. idk i saw someone on youtube do it and it looked like a good honest challenge, and it is. also when i was in halo reach, i played on legendary and made the enemies alot stronger and made my bullets do nothing to them and put alot of hunters in it (it was that one free battle mode). it was fun.
    You should have done it with all skulls(including bonus skulls)...alone
    I can't believe I got the admins to give me a Sesame Street username.

It's not where you are, but where you've been that matters
    Thanks

Bah. I just beat that challenge I was doing. Need a different one now. Bummer.

Edit: nevermind, my 'beating' of it was getting as far as I could before hitting a game glitch. Looks like I have solved it by moving around game saves.
    Last edited by Russ; 19th-February-2011 at 11:59.

Thanks

beating ocarina of time on n64 with no sword glitch. ive never done it but i heard it requires a gameshark.

Thanks

Resident Evil 4 Professional Mode, and a (mostly, bosses don't count) knife-only run.
    Just because someone said "Just because someone said it, doesn't mean it's true.", doesn't mean it's true.

Thanks
    EP Points

going against bosses in games are always fun when your underleveld. actually infinite undiscovery you do it all the time, but you can survive if your lucky lol. wow, i should just continue the posts i have shouldnt i? i mean i love making the games i play more challenging somehow.

Thanks

Running through 18 holes on Hot Shots Golf 2 using only the putter.
    Not really, lol.

But I do remember beating Ninja Gaiden Black on Master Ninja. Also, I remember trying to play through Super GNG using only the lance with no armor upgrades. Didn't work out.

Thanks

I don't usually look for a challenge in a game, but I am stubborn in some rpgs by only using one party the whole game and being screwed when one person leaves the party in exchange for an underleveled one (FF8, I didn't have 2 saves and was stuck at the end because the enemies level with you and I only had one party member at a high level and the rest were at the level that they start at, so frustrating), and the fact that I went through all of persona 3 up until the final boss with just Orpheus because fusing personas was a boring concept to me.

Thanks
    EP Points

I made a "commitment" to finally beat both Emerald and Ruby Weapons in Final Fantasy VII. Still haven't gotten around to it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by unnoticedninja View Post
    and the fact that I went through all of persona 3 up until the final boss with just Orpheus because fusing personas was a boring concept to me.
    I did the same thing on my first playthrough of P3FES. The end result was a level 91 MC with 120 1/2 hours on my save. I never really bothered to learn about fusion 'cause I thought it'd be a hassle to learn. Turns out it wasn't... really.

Ahh, Miku! She's so AWESOME!!