Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PCSX2: Is it worth it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bennieboi20 View Post
    well its possible that it could be the difference but then again im sure it can only take advantage of 2 cores?
    Using an i7 with 8 cores, and it pings 35-40% (using at least 4 cores) usually when i lock @ 60 frames.

Thanks

Have you installed the AMD Dual Core Optimiser Driver?
    Yep.

Ok so I guess then that my computer *should* be able to handle PS2 emulation fine but it's just not...so here's the specifics on my plugins.

GS: GSdx 3693 (MSVC 15.00, SSE2) 0.1.16

PA LilyPad svn (r3878) 0.10.0

SPU2: SPU2-x r3702m 1.4.0

CDV Linuz Iso CDVD 0.9.0 for ISO's, cdvdGigaherz (r3492) 0.8.0 for mounted images

USB: USBnull Driver 0.7.0

FW: FWnull Driver 0.6.0

DEV9: DEV9null Driver 0.5.0

For my video plugin I have it set to Direct3D10 (Hardware), Native Resolution.

for my sound plugin I have Interpolation set to 3 (Hermite), Module set to 2 (DirectSound), Reverb set to 1X, Synch set to TimeStretch, and Audio Expanse set to Stereo. None of the boxes are checked. In configure for Module I have it set to my headphones, none of the boxes are checked, and buffer is set to 5 (27ms), and the latency bar below that is set at 150 ms (default basically). All of the options in the advanced button below Synchronization are default as well.

Could it be that maybe my plugins aren't up to date? I pretty much just used the ones that came with the 0.9.7 download.
    Last edited by Kurugi; 12th-February-2011 at 09:37.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Bennieboi20 View Post
    he stated he was using 0.9.7 unless you mean there has been an update since then? but yeah post your settings and plugins
    I know he's using 0.9.7, what I mean is whether or not he use the latest official beta, or compile it by himself.

To OP, does that problem happen on every game you play?
    Slowdown of RE4 is a known issue on PCSX2, even on MGS.

Oh another one, if your CPU heat too much during the process, the gameplay may get slower as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by meganova View Post
    I know he's using 0.9.7, what I mean is whether or not he use the latest official beta, or compile it by himself.

To OP, does that problem happen on every game you play?
    Slowdown of RE4 is a known issue on PCSX2, even on MGS.

Oh another one, if your CPU heat too much during the process, the gameplay may get slower as well.
    I downloaded the latest beta from the website.

I've only tried RE4 and MGS2, because those are the only two games I have interest in playing again. Getting a game for PS2 takes a bit longer to download (especially if you have to manually download each individual part from like Megaupload or something) so I haven't really snagged random games to try out.

Pretty sure it's not an overheating issue too. The slowdown occurs as soon as gameplay starts, even if I skip the opening cutscenes. Just to be sure I checked with Speedfan and my core temp doesn't go over 40C.

Edit: So I noticed the fps counter at the top of the pcsx2 window. Apparently I can maintain 60 fps fine in menus and cutscenes, but when actually playing this is reduced to 30-45 fps in both RE4 and MGS2. Sounds like a decent amount of frames but the slowdown is still noticeable and annoying, but is that "normal"?
    Last edited by Kurugi; 12th-February-2011 at 16:56.

Thanks
    EP Points

Looks like someone needs JDownloader for downloading eh?

Thanks

I have JDownloader. I pretty much had to get it to be able to download RE4, but I didn't have it prior to that.

I'm genuinely pissed off now. I've pretty much tried adjusting every option in both the video and sound plugins and nothing has affected the fps at all, yet two people with equal or lesser systems than me have reported being able to run the game with no problems.

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tmDsl9u268

Best tutorial ive ever seen...enjoy
    this might solve all your problems and hopefully convince everyone that IT IS WORTH IT!!!!

Thanks

Yeah, I pretty much had PCSX2 installed exactly how that guy described yet I still get slowdown.

One thing I noticed though was I installed the CPU-ID program he mentioned and I noticed it lists my core speed as 1000MHz but I have a 3.0GHz processor. Sometimes it'll go up to 1800, or 2200, or all the way to 3000 but only for like a second. However, I'm pretty certain I'm getting more than 1 GHz of processing power because if not I wouldn't be able to play the PC games I play at full settings. If I was only getting 1 GHz I doubt I'd be able to emulate Dreamcast as well as I am or even PSX games decently...lol.

Also, I know it probably wasn't clear given the title but I wasn't really originally asking if PCSX2 was worth it. I was originally asking if overclocking my CPU to try and run games smoothly on it was worth it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 124 Posts
    EP Points

Seriously just mod your PS2 console, it's much easier than constantly tweaking your settings for each game/image you run (+ emu for PCSX2 is never perfect).
    My inbox IS NOT A REQUEST BOX , if you want to make requests maybe do it here? Someone w/ working links might help you there (I don't do requests obviously, however, feel free to let me know if a DLC file doesn't work* and needs an update ) *ex:"container error"

How to use DLC files? Use Jdownloader
    Still looking for PS2 undubs by any chance? Try searching "PS2 undub project 2.6" @ google, it's hard to miss and you can maybe find most of em in a single search/post .

Thanks

Yeah i didnt even use the CPU -ID even though i already had it... i mean i just experimented, messed with the configuration and it runs fine.. sorry for your trouble.. honestly you dont even need the GPU and CPU programs the dude provides because you could still find all that out in the system info.. re-install would be my last bit of advice