Thread: CD to DVD conversion 101 by me

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 124 Posts
    EP Points

Default CD to DVD conversion 101 by me

CD to DVD conversion tutorial by yours truly

Before you try this you may want to scim through this and look for something you need or can understand as this is kinda
    long . There are many methods to doing this and many programs for extracting/rebuilding (ex: IMG burn, CD mage, Power
    ISO, Ultra ISO, Magic ISO, Apache, etc.) ISOs and other images, but for this tutorial I'm only using:
    -CD mage (to extract images)
    -DVD Scan 3.7 (to convert files)
    -CDVD Gen 1.5 (for the IML export)
    -IML 2 ISO 4.01 (for rebuilding)
    -Dummy File Gen

You can use several programs for extracting the ISO, but many of the programs you'll need are located on this link

Also I made links for some free tools you can use if they aren't on the site:
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Step 1:

Extract your CD image using various programs available (see the top for links) some of which your may have your self and extract to whichever directory you prefer or make one (preferably in a seperate folder). Use CDmage if you don't have ISO buster, IMG burn, or any other fancy program to extract your CD image.

Spoiler warning:

Step 2:

Open DVD scan and scan all the extracted files that need to be converted. Not many will need to be converted, but to be sure (and if you don't
    know which specifically) just select all of them after selecting the "DVD" option to scan and it'll display a message asking you if it needs to be converted
    since it's "not a system file" which you'd answer "no" because it automatically converts what's needed after selecting w/o the message poping up.
    Also note that you should open any folders extracted before scanning a folder itself to scan the files inside if needed
    or it won't scan the actual files upon selecting folder(s).

Spoiler warning:

Step 3:

Now you need to add a dummy file to the extract so check the total size of the CD image's extracted files to see what size you need for the
    DVD image. Most people told me to make the total size around maybe 1.4GBs-2GBs for DVD images and you can probably even make the total size just 1GB
    if you want to save space or more then 2GB, but I do 2GB all the time so size doesn't become an issue (probably won't). Select properties for all the extracted
    files and find their total size, then subtract that from the total sum of the DVD image size you expect it to be. Ex: I'm using GG Isuka for my tutorial and I want a
    2GB DVD ISO so it'd be 2000mb minus 681mb which is 1319mb needed for the dummy file. You can create
    a dummy in 4 sizes: mb, gb, kb, mb (I choose to do in mbs) with my Dummy Gen so choose how big you want it and an appropriate file extension for your dummy
    file (always name mine DUMMY.BIN). Plz remember that DVD ISOs should be over 1GB total @ the very least and
    maybe more for them to work
    if yours doesn't meet this requirement and won't work later that may be why so check the total after you create your
    dummy.

Spoiler warning:

Step 4:

Now you need to export the IML/IMS file after compiling the files from the extracted files already DVD scanned with the
    dummy file intact which will be also included in the finished product. So open CDVD Gen 1.5 (any version) and choose
    "Create New Project" then "DVD ROM Master Disc". On the current location under the "directory" tab is the place where
    your extract files go. It might not matter @ this point if you did everything right up till now, but some told me it's a good idea
    to check the order the files in the original image. So open the CD image in CDmage to see the order (if you must), then drag
    and drop them 1 @ a time to "directory" in that order (dummy going last) if you want to be sure.
    Don't close it or save anything yet, go to step 5!-->

Spoiler warning:

Step 5:

Still on CDVD Gen your now done with the "directory" stuffs on step 4 so go to the "volume" tab to the left of "directory".
    1st you need to put the correct disc ID for the "disc name" so there's always a file extracted from or viewed within ISO w/
    the exact name as the ID, but if you want to be sure it should also be on the real game's cover somewhere. the 1st box to right
    of "disc name" is only for letters (SLUS, SLPM, etc.) and the right side box is for #'s both coming from the corresponding
    disc ID. "Producer Name" Should always be "PLAYSTATION" in all caps for every conversion so don't forget this
    and "License Area" corresponds to your game's region (EX: if it's NTSC-J select the default "Japan", or if it's PAL select
    "Europe", NTSC-U = "America" as well). For the "volume" box you can make a name for the volume if you want (w/ all caps
    and underscores
    ), but it's not reccomended since most typically leave it blank for better results. Your now done w/ the "Volume"
    tab and w/ CDVD Gen so go to "File" and choose "export iml file" to save you hard earned work (use #'s and letters as
    characters for the iml's title ONLY! Use only A-Z and 0-9 for EX: "Guilty Gear Isuka.iml"
    ) and close CDVD Gen when
    your IML/IMS (BTW it also saves the IMS by default so don't worry) is exported/saved.

Spoiler warning:

Step 6:

Now the hard part(s) are pretty much done all you need to do do now is open IML2 ISO whichever version your working
    w/ (check above links for IML 2 ISO 4.01) and open your iml file you just exported on it. Just press "start" and it'll rebuild your new
    DVD ISO from the IML/IMS you created and when it's done your ISO is now a DVD compatible image! So far every CD
    image I successfully converted is also ESR compatible so it should have a UDF descripter for the ESR patcher and works good on a burned DVD5
    disc!

Spoiler warning:

DISCLIAMER: If you didn't find any of the info above useful or inaccurate plz note that some images won't work through the conversion depending on the game/image since some have some false LBA error dectection which prevents this sort of thing. So far the ONLY CD image I couldn't convert w/ this method or any or any other method for that matter is Quake 3: Revolution, a good example of what won't work, but my others work 100% on DVD 5/ESR. Don't complain to me if you wasted your blank DVD on a image that won't work w/ this method (I messed up alot myself ), also you may want to check to see if you did everything on this tutorial w/ everything I reccomend if it's not working
    Last edited by Destrudo; 2nd-May-2011 at 12:11.
    My inbox IS NOT A REQUEST BOX , if you want to make requests maybe do it here? Someone w/ working links might help you there (I don't do requests obviously, however, feel free to let me know if a DLC file doesn't work* and needs an update ) *ex:"container error"

How to use DLC files? Use Jdownloader
    Still looking for PS2 undubs by any chance? Try searching "PS2 undub project 2.6" @ google, it's hard to miss and you can maybe find most of em in a single search/post .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Thanks for the tutorial, Destrudo, I had to code the links cos otherwise they won't last too much.
    I'll add it to our emulation indexes

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 124 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Thanks for the tutorial, Destrudo, I had to code the links cos otherwise they won't last too much.
    I'll add it to our emulation indexes
    No prob, thanks for taking the time to code them I'd usually do it, but I was in a hurry when I started making this thread .
    My inbox IS NOT A REQUEST BOX , if you want to make requests maybe do it here? Someone w/ working links might help you there (I don't do requests obviously, however, feel free to let me know if a DLC file doesn't work* and needs an update ) *ex:"container error"

How to use DLC files? Use Jdownloader
    Still looking for PS2 undubs by any chance? Try searching "PS2 undub project 2.6" @ google, it's hard to miss and you can maybe find most of em in a single search/post .