Page 168 of 410 FirstFirst ... 68118158163164165166167168169170171172173178218268 ... LastLast
Results 2,506 to 2,520 of 6148

Thread: What are you playing right now #2

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elin View Post
    Attachment 32587

Watching Slayers made me want to replay Popful Mail, seeing as how it's so similar that it might as well be a companion piece. The protagonist is a red-headed, gold-crazy, cutesy female sword for hire in a high fantasy world with a near identical voice provided by the same voice actress as Lina. Taking into account that this came out a couple of years after the first Slayers light novel was published, I'm thinking this wasn't an accident, and that someone probably could have sued here.

Kind of missing Working Designs' trademark humour and nostalgic Saturday morning cartoon-esque voices in Japanese, but not missing their poor attempts to rebalance the game, which left it incredibly frustrating at times. Can't really understand why they did that, as the game's not that easy in Japanese anyway. In any case, underrated Falcom game is so underrated~! Even if the best version of the game, the Mega CD one, actually wasn't developed by them personally.

Given that Falcom have revisited Brandish, another of their older works, in recent years, I'd actually really love to see them create another game in the same style and world as Mail. Though I suppose their Zwei!! games were sort of a spiritual successor in many ways anyway, and fill largely the same niche.
    Hi Elin, I'm compiling a list of JRPGs, and I have added Popful Mail to it. So would you consider this a JRPG or is it more like 2D platformer?

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by gezegond View Post
    Hi Elin, I'm compiling a list of JRPGs, and I have added Popful Mail to it. So would you consider this a JRPG or is it more like 2D platformer?
    I think it's more of a 2D platformer with RPG elements myself, but I noticed that you have Wonderboy on the list, and if that's there then Popful Mail ought to be too, as they're nearly identical in style.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

I think it's more of a 2D platformer with RPG elements myself, but I noticed that you have Wonderboy on the list, and if that's there then Popful Mail ought to be too, as they're nearly identical in style.
    Yeah, I was having doubts about Wonderboy as well. Maybe I remove them both.

Edit: Does the game follow a linear path or a straight one? (how much exploration is involved?) Are there any economical system involved? (buying potions etc.) Are there any side quests or is it just one story? Is the plot deep enough to be considered a JRPG?

These are the main concepts upon which I decide whether a game is an RPG or not. btw the list is in primary stages and I don't have information on many of the series, that's why I wanted others help. Right now it's just filled with all the JRPG names I could find on different game list pages I could find. (GameRankings, romhacking, tvtropes, etc.)
    Last edited by gezegond; 25th-June-2012 at 02:19.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I am currently attempting to go back to Playing Golden Sun.....
    So Much Pointless dialogue

"I am... Sheik. One of the last of the Sheikah tribe..."

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by gezegond View Post
    Yeah, I was having doubts about Wonderboy as well. Maybe I remove them both.

Edit: Does the game follow a linear path or a straight one? (how much exploration is involved?) Are there any economical system involved? (buying potions etc.) Are there any side quests or is it just one story? Is the plot deep enough to be considered a JRPG?

These are the main concepts upon which I decide whether a game is an RPG or not. btw the list is in primary stages and I don't have information on many of the series, that's why I wanted others help. Right now it's just filled with all the JRPG names I could find on different game list pages I could find. (GameRankings, romhacking, tvtropes, etc.)
    The game is chopped up into platform levels linked by an overworld like Super Mario World's. So a mostly linear path with a little bit of optional backtracking between levels for secrets and suchlike. The game's levels are less straight line to the finish than the average platformer, though, and tend to be a bit more adventure game esque (you often need to backtrack within levels to talk to people / use key items to progress).

Items-wise, it's basically the same as the average RPG. Enemies drop money that you can use to buy better equipment / items from shops scattered throughout the levels. The amount of stuff at your disposal is fairly sparse, but that's just because the game's pretty short.

The story is pretty simple, but that's largely due to the whimsical nature of the game and its fairly short length, and it's actually fairly dialogue-heavy compared to most platformers. I don't really feel it's any less story-driven than most action-RPGs.

There are no sidequests, but then that's true of many games that are clearly JRPGs (Grandia 2, for example).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,350 Times in 160 Posts
    EP Points

Thanks
    EP Points

The game is chopped up into platform levels linked by an overworld like Super Mario World's. So a mostly linear path with a little bit of optional backtracking between levels for secrets and suchlike. The game's levels are less straight line to the finish than the average platformer, though, and tend to be a bit more adventure game esque (you often need to backtrack within levels to talk to people / use key items to progress).

Items-wise, it's basically the same as the average RPG. Enemies drop money that you can use to buy better equipment / items from shops scattered throughout the levels. The amount of stuff at your disposal is fairly sparse, but that's just because the game's pretty short.

The story is pretty simple, but that's largely due to the whimsical nature of the game and its fairly short length, and it's actually fairly dialogue-heavy compared to most platformers. I don't really feel it's any less story-driven than most action-RPGs.

There are no sidequests, but then that's true of many games that are clearly JRPGs (Grandia 2, for example).
    Thanks a lot for the info! I decided to put it back into JRPG listing

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks

Look at my army in Red Alert Retaliation:

Can a tank beat my whole army? Hehehe
    Why is it running after my tanks?

Last edited by BlackCitadel; 25th-June-2012 at 22:21.

Thanks

Devil Summoner 2 when im on the go and re-playing Dark Cloud at home.

Thanks
    EP Points

PSO2. This game is crack. Like, seriously.

(And pretty good for study purposes as well. )

Thanks
    EP Points

Pokemon Crystal, first time I've played this (played through gold several times before this though). Already through the second gym with only Quilava and Poliwag, I'd forgotten how easy these games are.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    EP Points

SNK vs Capcom - Card Fighters Clash - Capcom Version.

I'm liking it.

Thanks

Been digging into as of late: Alien Trilogy (PSX), Tokyo Beat Down (DS), Metroid Pinball (DS), Too many NES games to mention, and Streets of Rage II (Genesis).

Looking forward to starting Kirby: Mass Attack - Delicious!

And, Elin; Your picture/scroll across the bottom there....best I have seen on ANY website - LOVE it!
    (Whatever that thing is called there that runs across the bottom of a persons' posts....is it still called the 'signature' even if there are no words/text? Anyway...great stuff....always makes me smile...)

Thanks

Along with a few games I beat just today, in the last few days I've been playing: 3D Dot Game Heroes, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance A2: Grimoire of the Overly Long Title, SMT: Strange Journey*, Dragon Quest IX, Katamari Forever, and Lollipop Chainsaw**.

*And what a strange journey it is!
    **Because I literally cannot not play something by suda51. I'm an incurable fanboy.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Sly 2.

This fucker is eating up all my time. Again.