Thread: Second Hand Games (NOT the rant you are expecting)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Angry Second Hand Games (NOT the rant you are expecting)

As A buyer of used games both in GameStop and eBay I have the biggest beef and its not to do with "Used games destroying the industry" or anything like that but there Condition!

Recently I've been buying used PSP games on eBay (some of it is due to the fact our local GameStop doesn't stock all that much in PSP) and Ive come to notice 75% of the games I've bought on there are in crap condition! You could possibly argue the case with Unboxed UMD's although buying a Holder I would have thought was a no brainer on that one. but honestly it shocks the hell out of me. I Had a copy (UMD Only) of Pursuit Force come to me... it looked like it had been Kicked along a street, and sounded like there was grit inside the UMD Shell! I ended up having to buy a Replacement Shell for it!

Guess which UMD it is

Another Case, I Bought Kao Challengers for PSP and it was Crushed!

There was no image of the disc before buying and the Seller pulled the whole sold as seen no return BS... Lucky the disc inside was fine as you can imagine again a new shell >.<

Other things that drive me nuts... UMD's have plastic casings on most of the disc except a window... how is it that EVERY SINGLE UMD I have bought on ebay has more fingerprints on the disc itself then Scotland yard?!

That being said I can understand in used games loosing the manual but the box? DVD Cases are rather large, and I will admit they can get lost too, but sometimes I see people selling a lot of games Unboxed no instructions on PSP, PS2, Xbox.. you name it and im thinking how can people loose so many cases Honestly I saw someone on eBay the other day selling a good 15 or so UMD's Unboxed saying He lost the boxes HOW?!

Lastly its Scratches and what nots on the disc's why is it that it seems most used games are scratched up Is it so hard to put it back in the case, Im guilty myself of not doing it but i always do it that day and there always left Data side up to make sure they dont get scratched up

Does this stuff bug others? am I alone in my Nerd Rage?

(Recovered this from the board before the crash and still think it a interesting topic so reposted it )

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

This is why I ONLY buy if it comes complete with a case and manual, and I generally only buy if the seller has actual, not stock photo images of the product they're trying to sell. Though that doesn't always save me, as I had a copy of Xenosaga Episode 1 with basically NO flaws on the disc, complete in box that would otherwise be in near mint condition either lag like crazy during the cinematics or simply freeze.

It's not where you are, but where you've been that matters
    Thanks

It's gotten bad for sure. You should see some of the shit gamestop will try to sell. Half of the stock i've bought from them, broken! I think people get cases and put blank cd's in them for resale, and retailers don't even bother to check if it's the right game. If I was in charge I would TEST THE GAME before giving the customer cash for it and selling it in the store. It comes off as a little unprofessional the way they do things sometimes. No wonder people use emulators.

As a game collector though, if I was buying something off ebay that was advertised NIB and it came to me looking like ass, I would take the maximum action I could against the seller. If that person thinks of the market as enough of a joke to pawn their garbage to unsuspecting people, they are asking for trouble.
    Last edited by Russ; 14th-January-2011 at 07:19.

Thanks
    EP Points

I too have bought my share of bad game discs. They were when I bought online. Luckily, the in store people are the minority and actually nice (probably because I knew them from school). A quick stop at the game store and they gave me a like new copy with no scatches. Of course I have never gotten a bad copy when Gameforce was still in business.

Three more days until Party time!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Wait, you can get replacement UMD shells? I didn't know that... I can use at least one, where did you get them?
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks

dude that's not even half as bad as things i've experienced. those discs are hardly scratched. i've bought games with deep, inner scratches, they obviously are completely useless and i love how GameStop sells/buys broken products. if you put it in your system, it sounds like your system is trying to kill itself to get out of having to read the damn thing.

as for UMDs, my one friend was horribly dirty, unorganized and careless. his PSP was in the worst condition i've ever seen, he used to shove it into his bookbag where his giant text books would smash against games and all. most of his UMD cases were wrecked, either numerous cracks or just plain out in pieces. his PSP it self had a giant crack in the screen... lol man some gamers are animals

me on the other hand, i still have a first generation PSP, perfect with not a single scratch. i modded it so i play it quite often, just about anywhere. so it's be used a lot. only thing i notice is the battery is getting worse... wonder if i can find a replacement for that model... but that's another topic

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Wait, you can get replacement UMD shells? I didn't know that... I can use at least one, where did you get them?
    You can get them on Amazon for pretty cheap; I ran into them all the time when I was searching for replacement cases for my PSP games.

Thanks

when i got my psp i also got me and my katamari as a gift and was unable to play it since the plastic shell was completly fucked up, fortunatly i got a new copy of the game. it was not from gamestop though.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Aeolus Aeneas View Post
    You can get them on Amazon for pretty cheap; I ran into them all the time when I was searching for replacement cases for my PSP games.
    Amazon.com, yes. Amazon.ca, no.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth View Post
    Amazon.com, yes. Amazon.ca, no.
    Then what do you call this, my good sir?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Aeolus Aeneas View Post
    Then what do you call this, my good sir?
    I call it shitty Amazon searching, when it didn't come up when I searched "psp umd case," "psp umd shell," "psp umd replacement," and all of my other searches that I made.

Thanks
    EP Points

dealextreme has some cheap cases as well

also those arent the cases that ragnar is looking for, those are protectors, he wants housing shells
    Last edited by luffy4; 15th-January-2011 at 00:35.

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yes, I noticed that as well... and then I went about looking through .ca to regain my honor. Amazon hates Canada and myself, it seems, for there are none.