Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How To Downgrade psp firmware guide

Thanks

Default How To Downgrade psp firmware guide

This guide will show you how to downgrade your PSP firmware.

Please Read: these steps flashes your psp, meaning that there is a small chance of rendering your PSP absolutely useless, by reading this you accept that you cannot hold me, Emuparadise or the people that created this software responsible for what happens to your PSP

The FaQ at the bottom will answer your questions

The files needed are included in this thread.

What's needed
    ------------

GTA:- Liberty City Stories (Unpatched Version)

[Noobz 3.03 Homebrew Enabler (HEN)] Download:http://dl.qj.net/Homebrew-Enabler-%2...2430/catid/114

[Noobz 3.03 to 1.50 downgrader] Download:
    http://dl.qj.net/Downgrader-for-v3.0...2431/catid/114

[1.50 Update] Download:
    http://dl.qj.net/PSP-Firmware-1.50-F.../163/catid/163

Steps
    ------

1. Update to firmware 3.03. If you already have this firmware then proceed to step 2.

2. Open the 3.03 downgrade file and copy the contents of the folder MS_ROOT to the root of your memory stick.

3. Open the 1.5 update and rename the EBOOT.PBP to UPDATE.PBP then copy it to /PSP/GAME/UPDATE/
    Make sure not to overwrite PSP/GAME/UPDATE/EBOOT.PBP

4. Load Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (unpatched)

5. It should get to loading save game, clear the screen, the screen should fill with a light blue color and then reset the PSP

6. Check that HEN is running by going to system settings then System Information and it should show up as system version 303 HEN

7. If it is showing up as 3.03 HEN then go to the memory stick and run the x.yz update

8. Before the downgrader does anything to your PSP it will ask for you to agree to what it is doing
    If you no longer want to continue press the Right Shoulder Button (R-TRIGGER).

9. Once you have agreed to start the downgrade do not unplug the PSP

10. Once finished the PSP will ask you to press X, after pressing it will reset it self.

11. If it comes up saying that the settings are corrupt press X to continue.

12. Enjoy your new golden firmware

FaQ
    ----

Q. How can I tell if i have an unpatched version of GTA: LCS or not?
    A.Unpatched versions of Liberty City Stories contain the 2.0 update, whereas patched versions contain higher updates.

Q. How can I tell the HEN enabler has worked?
    A. Go to system settings on the XMB, then go to system information, it should say;
    System software 3.03 HEN,
    If it doesn't run the HEN enabler again.

Q. Why would I want to be on lower firmware?
    A. Lower firmware security allows unsigned code to run on your psp (Homebrew), such as; games, applications and other great software.

Q. I have already upgraded to a higher firmware than 3.03, can i still downgrade
    A. Not with this downgrade, check QJ.net for other downgrades.

Now I have Downgraded, what next?
    ------------------------------------

You can either go to QJ.net and start downloading Homebrew, or you can upgrade to Dark_AleX's 3.10 OEA custom Firmware.

Q. Why would I want to upgrade when I'm already on firmware 1.50?
    A. With Dark_AleX 3.10 OEA you can enjoy the freedom of 1.50 homebrew capabilities, and also play psp games that need a higher firmware to run.
    Last edited by Blood Wings; 25th-February-2007 at 22:51.
    History Abhors a Paradox

Thanks

I have a question. I am going to buy a PSP pretty soon (in probably a month). My question is, Do I need to have the GTA LCS ??? Is there a way where I DO NOT have to buy any game ?

I live in India, and I don't really think I'll be able to get my hands on a GTA LCS that has not been patched or patched for that matter Also, that will require me to spend money on a PSP game, which is anywhere around Rs. 2000 to Rs. 2500 (indian rupees), which is kinda like a little too much for me

So, I got any other options ??? I can research on the internet (which I intended to do when I get my PSP) on sites like psphacks, etc, etc but after reading this, this is the question that arised in my mind and you seem to be knowing quite a lot about PSP downgrading and stuff like that.

Thanx in advance for all the help Really appreciate it

| LG OLED G1 65-Inch | Ryzen 5 5600x @ 4.75Ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming | Zotac RTX 3080 Ti Amp Extreme Holo 12GB GDDR6X | WD Black SN850 1TB | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB DDR4 3600 MHz | Lian Li Galahad 240 AIO | ASUS ROG Strix 850W Gold | Xbox One Wireless Controller | Nintendo Switch (Atmosphere) |

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kazekage Gaara View Post
    I have a question. I am going to buy a PSP pretty soon (in probably a month). My question is, Do I need to have the GTA LCS ??? Is there a way where I DO NOT have to buy any game ?

I live in India, and I don't really think I'll be able to get my hands on a GTA LCS that has not been patched or patched for that matter Also, that will require me to spend money on a PSP game, which is anywhere around Rs. 2000 to Rs. 2500 (indian rupees), which is kinda like a little too much for me

So, I got any other options ??? I can research on the internet (which I intended to do when I get my PSP) on sites like psphacks, etc, etc but after reading this, this is the question that arised in my mind and you seem to be knowing quite a lot about PSP downgrading and stuff like that.

Thanx in advance for all the help Really appreciate it
    I will look for an update for you, dont get your hopes up though.
    Last edited by Blood Wings; 25th-February-2007 at 00:11.
    History Abhors a Paradox

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Wings View Post
    I will look for an update for you, dont get your hopes up though.
    Also, I would like to inform you that I am going to buy one from the local gray markets over here in India (customs are really high over here) so am gonna get it for approx Rs. 8200 (Indian rupees) and the guys over there are gonna let me open up the box and check out whether its working properly or not, etc, etc, which in turn will enable me to LITERALLY CHOOSE which PSP I buy coz they'll have like hundreds of them, and I can manually start it up and check which firmware it has, although I highly doubt I'll get a PSP with ORIGINAL 1.50 firmware. Also, I can't ask them to show me right now which versions they have coz they'll let me touch their PSPs only when am 100% sure I wanna get one and actually show them the money, coz otherwise, they get really irrigated if I "waste their time" and didn't even buy one in the end

Oh and almost 98% of them are total noobs knowing nothing about technology and what can actually be done with a PSP or any other console for that matter

| LG OLED G1 65-Inch | Ryzen 5 5600x @ 4.75Ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming | Zotac RTX 3080 Ti Amp Extreme Holo 12GB GDDR6X | WD Black SN850 1TB | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB DDR4 3600 MHz | Lian Li Galahad 240 AIO | ASUS ROG Strix 850W Gold | Xbox One Wireless Controller | Nintendo Switch (Atmosphere) |

Thanks

Any firmware up to 2.80 should allow you to upgrade to custom firmware which is much better than having lower firmware because the newest custom firmware has a recovery mode which gives you the option to restore your psp if it gets bricked.
    If you do get a psp, I would be happy to help you with downgrading, contact me anytime.
    History Abhors a Paradox

Thanks

Any firmware up to 2.80 should allow you to upgrade to custom firmware which is much better than having lower firmware because the newest custom firmware has a recovery mode which gives you the option to restore your psp if it gets bricked.
    If you do get a psp, I would be happy to help you with downgrading, contact me anytime.
    Wow...this recovery mode seems to be a really good thing. So I gotta make sure I get a PSP with a 2.80 firmware OR lower right ? which will NOT require me to have a GTA LCS to upgrade to latest custom firmwares (like Dark Alex, etc) right ?

Thanx for the help dude. Really appreciate it. You've earned rep

Edit: It would be just great....I'll surely contact you when I get my PSP and we can do this on MSN chat or somethin
    Last edited by Kazekage Gaara; 25th-February-2007 at 00:42.

Thanks

thanks for the rep, i would recommend DarK_AleX's custom firmware, i will keep looking to make sure what i have told you is correct.

there is a file you need if you want to be protected from getting your psp bricked which isnt big and you just stick it in the game folder on your psp.
    Last edited by Blood Wings; 25th-February-2007 at 00:47.
    History Abhors a Paradox

Thanks

there is a file you need if you want to be protected from getting your psp bricked which isnt big and you just stick it in the game folder on your psp.
    So correct me if I am wrong....technically as soon as I get my PSP, I need to put "that file" in the game folder of my PSP AND THEN TRY TO upgrade/downgrade just to be on the safer side so if the FIRST INITIAL upgrade/downgrade fails, it will restore my PSP

or is it that I need to upgrade it to the latest custom firmware INITIALLY TAKING THE RISK and THEN that file will work and protect me from FUTURE upgrade/downgrades going wrong ??

Am I confusing ?

Thanks

you have to upgrade to the latest custom firmware before you can do this, because the recovery mode is needed to run the file that will unbrick your psp, the recovery mode works even if the psp has been bricked.

Anyway, if the upgrade is done correctly, the odds of the upgrade going wrong are small.

I don't know if this answered your question
    Last edited by Blood Wings; 25th-February-2007 at 01:34.
    History Abhors a Paradox

Thanks
    EP Points

I recently downgraded a v2.80 on a TA-80 motherborad, supposedly the hardest combination to mod, down to 1.5 without a hitch. I just made sure I read everything I could find, and was familiar with the process before I even attempted to download the programs. This is key, and probably the leading cause of people bricking their PSP's. Make sure you study the info, and know what you are doing, and what to expect.

Today I upgraded from 1.5 to 3.10-A because I was disappointed in 1.5's ISO compatability. Again, I read up on it, and I actually found an auto-installer you run from the PC, and it did all the work for me. I was considering 3.10B, but all it adds is PSX ISO playability, and that's not something I am interested in.

This is the best site I have found for downgrading. It's pretty complete and full of specific info:
    http://forums.qj.net/f-guides-hacks-...ide-90919.html
    It tells you how to downgrade every firmware revision and motherboard, and has links to all the programs needed.

Thanks

Thanx for the link dude. This is EXACTLY what I was waiting for (or for someone to personally help me downgrade me PSP ). All the info at one place, in perfect order, with screenshots, risks, warnings, and all the required file download links. JUST AMAZING...

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kazekage Gaara View Post

Thanx for the link dude. This is EXACTLY what I was waiting for (or for someone to personally help me downgrade me PSP ). All the info at one place, in perfect order, with screenshots, risks, warnings, and all the required file download links. JUST AMAZING...
    No problem I hope your PSP modding goes as smoothly as mine did.

Thanks

yeah me too, good luck.

Qj.net is the place i get all my upgrades and software from.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    I recently downgraded a v2.80 on a TA-80 motherborad, supposedly the hardest combination to mod, down to 1.5 without a hitch. I just made sure I read everything I could find, and was familiar with the process before I even attempted to download the programs. This is key, and probably the leading cause of people bricking their PSP's.
    Has your psp ever been bricked?
    Last edited by Blood Wings; 25th-February-2007 at 03:12.
    History Abhors a Paradox

Thanks
    EP Points

I got a 2.71 with the motherboard with the writing on it/

I wanna install the dark alex custom firmware.

Do I need to downgrade first?
    or just upgrade?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaurman View Post
    I got a 2.71 with the motherboard with the writing on it/

I wanna install the dark alex custom firmware.

Do I need to downgrade first?
    or just upgrade?
    http://forums.qj.net/f-guides-hacks-...ide-90919.html

You need to go to 1.5 first, then upgrade to whatever custom FW you want.
    If you have a TA-82 or TA-86 mobo, then make sure you use the idstoragechange...it's crucial.